Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to suspend Istanbul immediately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perhaps vacation travel demand is softening in general.

Perhaps this is why DL is offering the 105K business class tickets to Europe?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I guess you really can't go back to Constantinople. At least not on Delta.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Cities that have had terrorist attacks have had trouble with attracting people, and therefore travel demand is down. UA cut the planned 2nd daily EWR-BRU flight for the summer, DL already suspended ATL-BRU until next year; this move is just following the trend.

A friend of mine was recently on an AF flight from JFK-CDG and said it wasn't very full at all, and pretty much everyone was connecting to somewhere else in Europe.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Could be the tide is starting to shift in favor of the consumer as the airline industry is cyclical. Delta starting to give a few crumbs back.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
So Delta suspends something IMMEDIATELY that they were to start in May !

Delta has taken the decision to suspend its New York-JFK-Istanbul service due to start in May 2016

In any event plenty of time for those with reservations to plan alternatively
and hope that the alternate flight arrangements will be in the same class or
perhaps better.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a while ago. I had the impression that the State Department's upgraded warning was within the last few days.

OTOH, since DL operates only seasonal service to/from IST, I guess there was no urgency to make a decision immediately after the incident.
There was actually a more recent warning issued by the US Embassy in Turkey just 10 days ago, and which specifically warns US Citizens of credible threats to public spaces, main tourist areas, and the port/docks in Istanbul.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_040916.html

Tie-ing in to the port warning - many US focused cruise lines have cancelled/rerouted cruise ship itineraries that were supposed to start or finish in Istanbul - which in itself will see a significant down-draw in tourist traffic from US into Istanbul.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

To Europe (and notably - the Mediterranean, and particularly the Eastern Mediterranean) - travel is well down this year. The cruise season is shaping up to be a bit of a blood bath in the Med this year. An election year, security concerns, the migrant situation... Conversely, the Alaska cruise season is shaping up to be pretty robust in comparison.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: DeltaSkyTeam , TK MilesandSmiles
nothing much to say. DL lost market to TK . TK flies 3 times a day with A333's and will change all flights to 773ER during summer. I'm SKYTEAM Gold and Star Alliance Gold Elite Plus cardholder.
I have a flight with DL 272 from JFK to IST on 6/22 and interestingly if I log on to Delta.com it's still there with my seat booked without any changes. This means they suspended but may be till beginning of June.

who knows.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:34 am
Suspended

Where will this plane be put to use now?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by SamuelS
There was actually a more recent warning issued by the US Embassy in Turkey just 10 days ago, and which specifically warns US Citizens of credible threats to public spaces, main tourist areas, and the port/docks in Istanbul.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_040916.html

Tie-ing in to the port warning - many US focused cruise lines have cancelled/rerouted cruise ship itineraries that were supposed to start or finish in Istanbul - which in itself will see a significant down-draw in tourist traffic from US into Istanbul.
And Antalya..more pause than usual when the alerts focus upon particular places. Wonder if the Russian government has issued similar travelers' alerts?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by luckypierre
And Antalya..more pause than usual when the alerts focus upon particular places. Wonder if the Russian government has issued similar travelers' alerts?
The Russian government months ago told its people not to go to Turkey. This was after the downing of a Russian military aircraft by a Turkish one.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I guess you really can't go back to Constantinople. At least not on Delta.
I was going to fly AZ from FCO to IST a few days ago but it turns out the Ecumenical Patriarch was in Greece with Pope Francis.

When I went to AYT last Dec, I used FCO as my hub because ST D1 fares into IST were north of $6K (and ATH was about the same).
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I was going to fly AZ from FCO to IST a few days ago but it turns out the Ecumenical Patriarch was in Greece with Pope Francis.

When I went to AYT last Dec, I used FCO as my hub because ST D1 fares into IST were north of $6K (and ATH was about the same).
I'm seeing the cheapest D1 fares (advanced purchase, seven to ten days stay) on the MSP-CDG route around $9400 RT for summer. This is I class, not Z, which doesn't seem to be offered on the days I checked.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm sure glad I was able to visit IST before the rise of ISIS. I'll go back after the threat is gone.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm sure glad I was able to visit IST before the rise of ISIS. I'll go back after the threat is gone.
Me too, but I bet it will be permanently changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.