Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy VX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I agree that there is a lot that AS could do with those cities. I could see AS petitioning to have the DAL-DCA slots exchanged for a beyond perimeter slot for SAN-DCA as part of a deal should they choose to divest the DAL gates. I'm sure SAN would love to have a nonstop to DCA. AS also operates SAN-MCO nonstop.
It will be interesting. I'm curious what will happen with my home airport, SJC. I only used VX once because they were in SFO (an hour away) and don't really go where I want to go. AS has more use for me (SJC - LIH/KOA and SEA). If AS adds more to SJC, I would consider using them more.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just my speculation but perhaps AS could go after the lower end of the business travel on LAX/SFO-NYC. As of now I don't believe AA, UA, DL, or B6 allow free elite upgrades on those flights. AS could keep the F cabin the same as any other 737, perhaps improve the food a bit, price F below the other four airlines, and allow elite upgrades. I think they could have a place for people who just want a bigger seat, meal, and a few drinks.
AA still permits "free" elite upgrades to its top-tier EXPs on the transcons, same as all other domestic routes.

DL and B6 are the "lower end" of the JFK-LAX/SFO transcon markets, as they attract the lowest fares. VX gets average fares that are slightly higher, but nowhere near UA's or AA's average fares.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Or they can start SAN/SJC-NYC. Those markets don't have service and both cities have a loyal AS following. The current VX product on LAX/SFO-NYC is lacking compared to AA/B6/DL. I don't see AS upgrading the product to a lie flat which seems to be the current standard.
1) SAN-NYC is very well-served, so why would AS want to join the fray there when it is not the overall market LAX/SFO-NYC are, especially at the high end?

2) The market has been pretty clear that nobody wants to fly into SJC. It may not make intuitive sense, but it is clearly a second-tier airport in the region.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA still permits "free" elite upgrades to its top-tier EXPs on the transcons, same as all other domestic routes.

DL and B6 are the "lower end" of the JFK-LAX/SFO transcon markets, as they attract the lowest fares. VX gets average fares that are slightly higher, but nowhere near UA's or AA's average fares.
How is that DL is on the lower end? The have a flat bed which is an advantage over VX.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) SAN-NYC is very well-served, so why would AS want to join the fray there when it is not the overall market LAX/SFO-NYC are, especially at the high end?

2) The market has been pretty clear that nobody wants to fly into SJC. It may not make intuitive sense, but it is clearly a second-tier airport in the region.
SAN and SJC have a decent presence of AS fliers. AS has had some success expanding their operations out of SAN and SJC. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they pursue that further.

At SJC, AA is adding a seasonal CLT flight and DL is adding a daytime flight to ATL.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
5 years ago, VX had a very competitive product (particularly in Y) in the SFO/LAX-JFK market. That is no longer the case. In fact, they are now at a disadvantage (especially in the front cabin). However, that product stacks up pretty good against the competition in the other west coast markets AS has a measurable presence: SAN/SNA/SJC/PDX. So while PDX-JFK might not be as "high end" as LAX-JFK, it might provide the combined carrier better yields given what they are competing against at each respective airport.

Not true. The reason why carriers are hesitant about the SJC market is because WN controls over 50% of it. However, that does not stop B6 from flying SJC-JFK.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Alaska is one of the best airlines in the world and I have no doubt they will do very well with the acquisition of VX.
Let's hope the best airlines in the world don't hear about that one!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Not true. The reason why carriers are hesitant about the SJC market is because WN controls over 50% of it. However, that does not stop B6 from flying SJC-JFK.
WN serves about as many passengers at LAX as there are total passengers at SJC. That doesn't stop other carriers from serving LAX.

Carriers are hesitant about SJC because SJC is not SFO and people want to go to San Francisco, and they don't want to go to San Jose.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Let's hope the best airlines in the world don't hear about that one!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA

I don't see DL's transcon as a "lower" end product relative to UA's PS.

However, I do rate AA's 3 class F (just better with no chance of a seatmate) as a higher end experience than UA, DL, VX's or B6's.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
WN serves about as many passengers at LAX as there are total passengers at SJC. That doesn't stop other carriers from serving LAX.
Maybe that's because WN only has around 14% of the LAX market. Which is actually less than the market share of AA/DL/UA each. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.