Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy VX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good for Alaska. Maybe they'll be able to compete with and push back against the 'big 3' oligopoly.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:39 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by rylan
Good for Alaska. Maybe they'll be able to compete with and push back against the 'big 3' oligopoly.
I think you mean "big 4". Southwest is as much a part of the oligopoly as UA, DL and AA. Together, the four carriers control about 80% of domestic traffic.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Details at

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...n-america.html
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Fingers crossed that the AS/VX merger causes DL to bring back the 2xMQM deals for SEA-based customers. (Maybe also SFO/LAX? Who knows?)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jiburi
So now that Alaska purchase of Virgin seem a done deal, I wonder if this will finally unravel final AS/DL partnership change: termination.
Why would it - AS will be busily digesting their new acquisition for several years to come.

Besides, keeping a partial relationship with DL is a good way for AS to keep Mr. Parker honest.

David
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Why would it - AS will be busily digesting their new acquisition for several years to come.

Besides, keeping a partial relationship with DL is a good way for AS to keep Mr. Parker honest.

David
I think the competition on the premium transcon routes will a source of tension
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think the competition on the premium transcon routes will a source of tension
Assuming of course that AS keeps those routes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Agreed but I was thinking for different reasons. VS and VX are different companies but they are sort of related. With DL owning 49% of VS it may get interesting.
As far as I know, the only connection between VX and VS is Branson himself. There's no corporate link.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Those routes are the very heart of VX's network. In my mind, if AS didn't want these routes, it wouldn't have bought VX. Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
And assuming that they retain the premium product. With the VX product having fallen pretty far behind at this point, I'm curious whether AS chooses to invest in it, retain it at a discount, or abandons the premium market altogether. They've never offered a product like VX's front cabin, so I'm curious what they would do with it. Indeed, I'm curious what they will do with the back of the bus too. AS has always had a, shall we say, spartan approach to fitting their aircraft, while VX went completely the other way.

I get why AS would want to increase their heft at SFO and elsewhere. I get that they take out a competitor. But the product is just so different and I wonder if they are going to pay $4bn for a handful of gates and some slots at JFK. Because I sure don't see VX customers being enthused about the AS product.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
There are some stories about VX receiving an offer to sell itself and DL is listed as a potential suitor.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...iving-interest

I don't see what DL would do with the operations in SFO and they would most likely have to divest some slots in NY if this went through. But, I'm pretty sure that DL would like to get those two gates at DAL.
with what has been happening to airfares lately (sky high on non compete routes which are now more numerous with the consolidation), I dont see the justice department green lighting this at all.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdadept
with what has been happening to airfares lately (sky high on non compete routes which are now more numerous with the consolidation), I dont see the justice department green lighting this at all.
One strong airline is much better positioned to compete with the 4 giants in the industry than 2 weak airlines.

It would actually DECREASE competition if the government allowed each of the giants to have a merger, then denied that same thing to the smaller airlines.

I believe this merger will be approved in less time than it took me to write this reply.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As far as I know, the only connection between VX and VS is Branson himself. There's no corporate link.
And to add to that, Branson was never allowed to have a controlling vote in VX. So it didn't matter what Branson had in mind for VX, there was nothing he could do about it.

Alaska is one of the best airlines in the world and I have no doubt they will do very well with the acquisition of VX.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I hope the merger helps out the FF through more competition.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:32 am

I highly doubt DOJ will block the acquisition.

Not sure, but I'm willing to bet that pre-merger NW, DL, CO, UA, AA, US, WN were all bigger than even a combined AS/VX would be.

Also not sure what AS will do with the leased airbus planes, t-con routes, 2 gates at DAL, and a revenue based FF program. It will be interesting to see how AS handles all of these things as well as integration of the work forces, systems, schedules, etc.

I know why AS is making the purchase, but I wonder if they'll lose some of their sterling reputation they've kept as they haven't had any merger pains while most of their competition has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.