Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy VX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
According to some unnamed source, AS and B6 are the interested bidders. Still wonder if DL will be able to get those DAL gates they have wanted.
It would be hilarious if AS buys VX and gets the DAL gates. With the way DL has treated AS they can kiss goodbye any chance of remaining at DAL without a big fight. I'm sure AS can find a good use for those two DAL gates.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It would be hilarious if AS buys VX and gets the DAL gates. With the way DL has treated AS they can kiss goodbye any chance of remaining at DAL without a big fight. I'm sure AS can find a good use for those two DAL gates.
They can fight all they want. The courts will still force DAL to allow DL to operate. DAL is the one that is in the hotseat, nit the airlines. They didn't include language in contracts with airlines requiring they have to give up gate use if another airline wishes to serve DAL. Now DAL is up against the fact FAA rules and regulations require that they make the airport available to any airline wishing to provide service. Thus to comply with the law they must violate their contract with current airlines. Simple case of airport management never thinking restrictions on the airport would ever be lifted.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They can fight all they want. The courts will still force DAL to allow DL to operate. DAL is the one that is in the hotseat, nit the airlines. They didn't include language in contracts with airlines requiring they have to give up gate use if another airline wishes to serve DAL. Now DAL is up against the fact FAA rules and regulations require that they make the airport available to any airline wishing to provide service. Thus to comply with the law they must violate their contract with current airlines. Simple case of airport management never thinking restrictions on the airport would ever be lifted.
The easiest solution would just be to allow remote parking and allow DL to bus passengers to the plane. I'd pay extra to fly into DAL just to walk on the ramp.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
It would be very stupid going against UA though.
LOL! UA is weak, confused and disorganized. SFO travellers fly UA not cause they want to, but cause they have no real alternative. Now, if a real alternative were to come along, it could be very successful.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
LOL! UA is weak, confused and disorganized. SFO travellers fly UA not cause they want to, but cause they have no real alternative. Now, if a real alternative were to come along, it could be very successful.
UA has a lock on the SFO market. Thinking otherwise is just foolish and it would be incredibly dumb of DL to try and start a hub at SFO. UA has many more widebodies to play around with than DL does.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I think AS would rather go into DFW so it connect with AA. However, it could sell those DAL gates for a nice high price.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
UA has a lock on the SFO market. Thinking otherwise is just foolish and it would be incredibly dumb of DL to try and start a hub at SFO. UA has many more widebodies to play around with than DL does.
What a ridiculous statement. VX has managed to break UA's "lock" and build a profitable hub at SFO. They have a tiny fraction of the resources that DL does, and they don't have any widebodies at all. By your logic, UA should have wiped them out in no time.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
What a ridiculous statement. VX has managed to break UA's "lock" and build a profitable hub at SFO. They have a tiny fraction of the resources that DL does, and they don't have any widebodies at all. By your logic, UA should have wiped them out in no time.
Virgin America has a whopping five gates at SFO. Yeah, they are really putting the pressure on United.

Think about this. If VX was really doing as well as you think they are then they wouldn't be putting up the For Sale sign.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
What could AS do with two DAL gates? I can't imagine them starting more than 1-2 daily SEA flights and maybe a PDX flight, and even that is a stretch because it makes more sense for them to stay at DFW with their partner. Unless you're suggesting that AS start up their first non-west coast focus city across town from their partner in an airport with a dominant hub carrier (whether or not WN uses the word hub).

The easiest solution would just be to allow remote parking and allow DL to bus passengers to the plane. I'd pay extra to fly into DAL just to walk on the ramp.
But the gate limitation at DAL is explicitly to limit air traffic there; they're not allowed to have any traffic that can't use the 20 gates, as far as I know.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I think AS would rather go into DFW so it connect with AA. However, it could sell those DAL gates for a nice high price.
+1 If AS is interested in VX, it makes no sense to me that it's for the DAL gates.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
What could AS do with two DAL gates? I can't imagine them starting more than 1-2 daily SEA flights and maybe a PDX flight, and even that is a stretch because it makes more sense for them to stay at DFW with their partner. Unless you're suggesting that AS start up their first non-west coast focus city across town from their partner in an airport with a dominant hub carrier (whether or not WN uses the word hub).
AS is a big player on the west coast. From DAL I could see them serving SEA, PDX, LAX, SFO, SAN, SJC, SNA. But yes, they could very well sell off the DAL gates if they so choose. I highly doubt AS feeds much traffic to AA at DFW. You seem to think AA is Alaska's only partner. You would be very mistaken. AS is the king of codesharing and has a variety of international partners:
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
In considering Alaska's options, don't forget about the idea of divesting planes, even in a large numbers. Southwest sent 88 planes, all 717s, to Delta on lease after merging in AirTran, retaining only 53 737s -- actions which converted the transaction from being sort of, maybe-ish pro-competitive to decidedly anti-competitive.

Last edited by Justin026; Mar 29, 2016 at 6:37 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Agreed but I was thinking for different reasons. VS and VX are different companies but they are sort of related. With DL owning 49% of VS it may get interesting.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Agreed but I was thinking for different reasons. VS and VX are different companies but they are sort of related. With DL owning 49% of VS it may get interesting.
VS and VX don't codeshare (AFAIK), so their relationship doesn't really go beyond the Virgin name, the stake that Virgin Group has in both companies, and the ability to earn VX miles on VS flights (and vise versa).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
AS to buy VX

So now that Alaska purchase of Virgin seem a done deal, I wonder if this will finally unravel final AS/DL partnership change: termination.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Apr 4, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

I'm glad the sale of VX was completed in record time. It puts to rest the incredibly silly notion of DL being allowed to purchase them. Like I said, Delta's merging days are over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.