Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy VX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I highly doubt DOJ will block the acquisition.

Not sure, but I'm willing to bet that pre-merger NW, DL, CO, UA, AA, US, WN were all bigger than even a combined AS/VX would be.

Also not sure what AS will do with the leased airbus planes, t-con routes, 2 gates at DAL, and a revenue based FF program. It will be interesting to see how AS handles all of these things as well as integration of the work forces, systems, schedules, etc.

I know why AS is making the purchase, but I wonder if they'll lose some of their sterling reputation they've kept as they haven't had any merger pains while most of their competition has.
Just my $0.02:

The Airbus are replaced by 737 as leases come due
Transcon routes stay
DAL gates subleased to another airline
LGA slots sold off
DCA slots are kept
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Just my $0.02:

Transcon routes stay
LGA slots sold off
DCA slots are kept
The first 2 are interconnected in that if AS wants to keep the transcon flights but not the current A320's they're going to have to have to do something pretty special with a 737 if they want to compete on LAX/SFO-JFK.

DAL/LGA slots could be interesting....here is an idea that wouldn't happen but could. DAL gates go to DL, LGA gates go to WN, AS gets cash and a player to be named latter

DC perimeter exception slots could be re-bid.

AA has 12, AS 8, F9 has 6, UA 4, DL 4, WN 2, B6 has 2, and VX 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see NK get VX's 2.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Just my $0.02:

Transcon routes stay
LGA slots sold off
DCA slots are kept
I'm not sure about the transcon routes, but I agree with you on the rest.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I highly doubt DOJ will block the acquisition.

Not sure, but I'm willing to bet that pre-merger NW, DL, CO, UA, AA, US, WN were all bigger than even a combined AS/VX would be.
Based on combined traffic stats for 2015, AS/VX would enplane about 39 million passengers. That's smaller than NW in 2008 (the smallest of the above) which had 48 million. It is much smaller than the current UA (the smallest of the big 4) at 140 million for 2015. It would make AS/VX slightly larger than JetBlue (35 million pax). The DOJ cannot simply unilaterally block a merger. They have to go through the courts and will be dealing with substantial case history in mergers in general and airline mergers in specific. There are a number of tests here in terms of route overlap and overall market control. Given the small size of this merger, there is likely zero chance DOJ is going to challenge.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Just my $0.02:

DCA slots are kept
What would they do with the DCA slots? I think it's virtually certain that ASVX will want to keep the beyond-perimeter slot pair used for DCA-SFO (assuming the DOT/DOJ let them, which I view as probable but not certain), but the in-perimeter slot pairs (VX currently uses them for DAL) don't have a clear use. I think they'll probably divest them. They might even trade the DCA slots to AA for ownership of the DAL gates (which are currently leased from AA) and move the AS DFW operation to DAL for local Dallas traffic to all four of the ASVX west coast hubs (if that's allowed).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ashill
What would they do with the DCA slots? I think it's virtually certain that ASVX will want to keep the beyond-perimeter slot pair used for DCA-SFO (assuming the DOT/DOJ let them, which I view as probable but not certain), but the in-perimeter slot pairs (VX currently uses them for DAL) don't have a clear use. I think they'll probably divest them. They might even trade the DCA slots to AA for ownership of the DAL gates (which are currently leased from AA) and move the AS DFW operation to DAL for local Dallas traffic to all four of the ASVX west coast hubs (if that's allowed).
That would basically eliminate connectivity for AS to connect to AA codeshares in DFW. AS is much more likely to sell/sublease them than move to DAL.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:50 am
Suspended

AS's route network sucks. Wish DL took them over.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Based on combined traffic stats for 2015, AS/VX would enplane about 39 million passengers. That's smaller than NW in 2008 (the smallest of the above) which had 48 million. It is much smaller than the current UA (the smallest of the big 4) at 140 million for 2015. It would make AS/VX slightly larger than JetBlue (35 million pax). The DOJ cannot simply unilaterally block a merger. They have to go through the courts and will be dealing with substantial case history in mergers in general and airline mergers in specific. There are a number of tests here in terms of route overlap and overall market control. Given the small size of this merger, there is likely zero chance DOJ is going to challenge.
I think you can also make the case that, based on the Adversarial nature of DL and AS these days, that it's one of the few times that consolidation would likely increase competition. It certainly gives AS more market strength to compete with DL.

A stronger AS could go the offense with DL by using some of the redundant metal on new routes. It's in our benefit if some of the lower fares and special offers happened outside SEA and NYC.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
I think you can also make the case that, based on the Adversarial nature of DL and AS these days, that it's one of the few times that consolidation would likely increase competition. It certainly gives AS more market strength to compete with DL.

A stronger AS could go the offense with DL by using some of the redundant metal on new routes. It's in our benefit if some of the lower fares and special offers happened outside SEA and NYC.
Plus this could very easily put AS in an adversarial relationship with UA being the 2nd largest carrier in SFO. AS could easily add some SFO to the STL, MKE's of the world and really be a thorn in UA's side too.

Then you have the DAL gates that could compete with AA as opposed to compliment them

And you have AS getting lots of inter Cali flights competing with WN.

Depending on how AS realigns itself it could upset the apple cart for all the major US carriers.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:32 pm

Plus this could very easily put AS in an adversarial relationship with UA being the 2nd largest carrier in SFO. AS could easily add some SFO to the STL, MKE's of the world and really be a thorn in UA's side too.

Then you have the DAL gates that could compete with AA as opposed to compliment them

And you have AS getting lots of inter Cali flights competing with WN.

Depending on how AS realigns itself it could upset the apple cart for all the major US carriers.
They could also look for de-hubs and former focus cities from the legacies. Some of those airports push 400K-500K PAX to the surviving hubs for connections. There might be some money to be made trying to get some of those PAX to connect.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanegod
AS's route network sucks. Wish DL took them over.
AS is great for flying up and down the coast or to Hawai'i. The fact they fly non-redeyes from Hawai'i makes them really useful.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

It would be hilarious if AS buys VX and gets the DAL gates. With the way DL has treated AS they can kiss goodbye any chance of remaining at DAL without a big fight. I'm sure AS can find a good use for those two DAL gates.
This will be pretty funny. I can see DL getting the gates if they massively outbid everyone else. If the come to bid, Richard Anderson will not be CEO. So, maybe the new guy will be better at partner relationships.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended

The first 2 are interconnected in that if AS wants to keep the transcon flights but not the current A320's they're going to have to have to do something pretty special with a 737 if they want to compete on LAX/SFO-JFK.
Just my speculation but perhaps AS could go after the lower end of the business travel on LAX/SFO-NYC. As of now I don't believe AA, UA, DL, or B6 allow free elite upgrades on those flights. AS could keep the F cabin the same as any other 737, perhaps improve the food a bit, price F below the other four airlines, and allow elite upgrades. I think they could have a place for people who just want a bigger seat, meal, and a few drinks.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Just my speculation but perhaps AS could go after the lower end of the business travel on LAX/SFO-NYC. As of now I don't believe AA, UA, DL, or B6 allow free elite upgrades on those flights. AS could keep the F cabin the same as any other 737, perhaps improve the food a bit, price F below the other four airlines, and allow elite upgrades. I think they could have a place for people who just want a bigger seat, meal, and a few drinks.
Or they can start SAN/SJC-NYC. Those markets don't have service and both cities have a loyal AS following. The current VX product on LAX/SFO-NYC is lacking compared to AA/B6/DL. I don't see AS upgrading the product to a lie flat which seems to be the current standard.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Or they can start SAN/SJC-NYC. Those markets don't have service and both cities have a loyal AS following. The current VX product on LAX/SFO-NYC is lacking compared to AA/B6/DL. I don't see AS upgrading the product to a lie flat which seems to be the current standard.
I agree that there is a lot that AS could do with those cities. I could see AS petitioning to have the DAL-DCA slots exchanged for a beyond perimeter slot for SAN-DCA as part of a deal should they choose to divest the DAL gates. I'm sure SAN would love to have a nonstop to DCA. AS also operates SAN-MCO nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.