Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy VX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ruckzac
You're probably right that we're probably not going to see a merger with the scale or complexity of the DL/NW, AA/US, UA/CO tie ups, but to say that Delta wont be merging with anyone in your lifetime is pretty bold.

Delta's JV with VS is a great example of how airline M&A can go very well, and I'd expect a deal with VX would be similarly structured (not an outright merger).
Umm, the DL/VS relationship is not a merger and acquisition, it's a joint venture with a minority ownership stake. Airline joint ventures are completely different and exist only because of foreign ownership laws (meaning airlines in different countries -- with a handful of exceptions like the EU/EEC and Australia/New Zealand -- can't merge). I think there's no chance of the DOT approving a joint venture between two US airlines (except maybe as part of an international joint venture -- before they merged, CO and UA were in a joint venture with LH and AC, but CO and UA still competed domestically and on other international routes). The anticompetitive effect of a domestic joint venture would be essentially identical to a merger; reduced competition. I see no reason why either the DOT would approve a joint venture when they wouldn't approve a merger or why two domestic airlines would prefer a joint venture to a merger.

I agree that it is highly likely that DL will enter more joint ventures with foreign airlines in the future. And if foreign ownership laws change, it's possible that there will be mergers with overseas airlines (but that's a gigantic if). However, I certainly hope that none of the big four will be allowed to merge with or purchase any domestic airlines with the exception of regional carriers that don't market their own flights and airlines that are imminently going out of business (not just Chapter 11), and even that latter case should be subject to anti-trust scrutiny and likely divestiture of some assets.

Last edited by ashill; Mar 24, 2016 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DA201
I think DL would prefer to codeshare with VX rather than buy them. Honestly, wouldn't be surprised if DL tried to get VX to replace Alaska once Alaska leaves the DL agreement (it will eventually happen if DL keeps building up Seattle).
Or purchase 49% of them or similar like they did with VS

EDIT: just saw -

Delta's JV with VS is a great example of how airline M&A can go very well, and I'd expect a deal with VX would be similarly structured (not an outright merger).
^
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Or purchase 49% of them or similar like they did with VS

EDIT: just saw -

^
I don't know anything about VX except their safety music video and Richard Branson. If Delta just buys ~30% to complement Branson's legally limited ~20-25%, they could collude with majority ownership... within regulatory limits of course
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You're probably right that we're probably not going to see a merger with the scale or complexity of the DL/NW, AA/US, UA/CO tie ups, but to say that Delta wont be merging with anyone in your lifetime is pretty bold.

If VX is sick then we should just let them die and then any other airline will be welcome to purchase assets. This is what we did for Pan Am, Eastern, etc. I would have preferred this to happen over the big mergers of the last decade. We should have just allowed a couple of unhealthy airlines to go under (US would definitely have been one of them) and that would have corrected he market.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I think VX is going to have a tough time finding a buyer. I agree with other posters that the legacies couldn't get a deal approved.

That leaves basically three potential bidders: AS, B6, and HA. B6 needs a west coast network, and VX might work for that - but they'd be better served by holding out for an AS merger. AS will likely sit on the sidelines and keep its options open.

That leaves HA - which actually would make some sense on a number of levels, but would commit them to a large mainland expansion. If they want to go that route and morph into something resembling AS, this is the easiest path, but it does carry a lot more competitive risk than the little niche they've carved out for themselves.

More likely, some failing regional carrier will try to absorb VX and go down in a flaming ball of glory the likes of which haven't been seen since Independence Air, though
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
On the other hand, if JetBlue and VX do merge, perhaps they can rebrand as Virgin Blue and get a killer deal on leftover c̶o̶c̶k̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶n̶a̶p̶k̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶D̶H in-flight serviceware from DJ down under

Last edited by BenA; Mar 24, 2016 at 12:07 pm Reason: fixing multiple mistakes - thanks ashill
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If VX is sick then we should just let them die and then any other airline will be welcome to purchase assets. This is what we did for Pan Am, Eastern, etc. I would have preferred this to happen over the big mergers of the last decade. We should have just allowed a couple of unhealthy airlines to go under (US would definitely have been one of them) and that would have corrected he market.
A nitpick: US had record profits before the merger with AA, so it's very unlikely they would have gone under.

But I completely agree that DL, UA, AA, or WN should only be allowed to pick up VX assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation proceedings, not in a merger. If B6 (makes the most sense due to complementary route networks and compatible fleets), AS, or HA want to merge with VX now, have at it.

Originally Posted by BenA
On the other hand, if JetBlue and VX do merge, perhaps they can rebrand as Virgin Blue and get a killer deal on leftover cocktail napkins from DH down under

Though I suspect the Virgin Blue serviettes (don't call them napkins down under -- that's something else!) have all been used up; Virgin Australia was still using them for quite a while after the rebranding.

And since I'm nitpicking, they were DJ, not DH.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Though I suspect the Virgin Blue serviettes (don't call them napkins down under -- that's something else!) have all been used up; Virgin Australia was still using them for quite a while after the rebranding.

Ack! Fixed, thanks for the corrections. Had Independence Air on the brain and mangled airline codes...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I don't think a Delta purchase would be all that hard. VX is just not that big. Blip on the radar screen.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I don't think a Delta purchase would be all that hard. VX is just not that big. Blip on the radar screen.
I think the other issue with VX is that they have very few assets. The only assets I can think of are their gates in DAL (which DL would love to get), and slots at DCA and NYC. Otherwise, pretty much everything else including the entire fleet of planes are leased.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
DOJ would absolutely not allow DL (or AA or UA, for that matter) to acquire VX.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by lamont2718
DOJ would absolutely not allow DL (or AA or UA, for that matter) to acquire VX.
Why?

Virgin is tiny. DL + VX would still be smaller than AA.

They might have specific airport issues, but that would be handled by gate/slot divestitures.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:10 pm

Such a deal is prohibited under the current pilot working agreement. I suspect the pilots would strike before allowing any additional domestic outsourcing. The Alaskan code share was inherited from NWA and is hated by the pilots.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:31 pm
Suspended

DOJ wouldn't allow it, and they have nothing in common other than routes and love of Dallas Love Field.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ashill
A nitpick: US had record profits before the merger with AA, so it's very unlikely they would have gone under.

But I completely agree that DL, UA, AA, or WN should only be allowed to pick up VX assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation proceedings, not in a merger. If B6 (makes the most sense due to complementary route networks and compatible fleets), AS, or HA want to merge with VX now, have at it.

However one needs to remember the US merger before AA. America West bought out USAir, but decided to keep the USAIR name instead of America West. USAIR in bankruptcy or just outside of it when AW decided to buy out USAir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.