Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
While ATL-SFO in First Class did not merit a meal pre-order email, the SFO-DTW leg did with the choice of a hamburger or a chicken/quinoa salad. I went with the burger. It was actually very good.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Yesterday (Friday afternoon) I text @Delta Twitter asking them to have the preorder email sent after I used a weather waiver for a flight late Sunday. Had to go back and forth with the agent about special meal vs preorder. After we get that straightened out the agent says I took care of it for you. So, I wait and wait for the email. It never arrives. I call the Diamond line this morning. After more back and forth come to find out the reason why. Rather than having the email sent, the Twitter agent just made a selection for me. It was not what I would have ordered (was chicken-which I despise), so I asked the diamond agent to cancel it since she couldn’t figure out how to find what the other offerings for the flight were.

Amazing how difficult it seems to be for Delta to get something right that AA has done for years.

And more proof Delta Twitter has gone waaaaay downhill.
And to add a little more....FEBO was followed on the flight ^. In this case that was unfortunate for me, as I was the very last person to be asked my selection. Of course, the only thing left was exactly what I was trying to avoid--chicken. So I asked if I could have a cheese plate from the back. I was allowed to purchase one. In the past I have not been charged. I guess my 4.5+ million miles worth of loyalty (which the FA had thanked me for during pre-departure beverage service) was not worth a complimentary cheese plate . Which was basically thrown on my tray table. I had to ask for the setups (including the napkin and silverware) that would have accompanied the regular meal. Rather disappointing customer service IMO.

I do hope Delta can a) get the IT issues cleaned up; b) add something like the cheese plate or a fruit or vegetable plate to the selections.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just got an email about one of my flights, but I have no idea how to select my other flight. Is there a generic link you can use for this? I assume if SFO-MSP is eligible, then MSP-SFO is also eligible.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Received the pre-order email for SLC-CLT three days before departure. Pretty good options, in my opinion.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
^ that does look like a nice domestic menu!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just got an email about one of my flights, but I have no idea how to select my other flight. Is there a generic link you can use for this? I assume if SFO-MSP is eligible, then MSP-SFO is also eligible.
I got two separate emails. SNA-ATL and ATL-JNB for my flight Thursday...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I believe you get the enail 72 hours before the flight. Is msp-sfo in the window? The flight is not a real late flight with no meal correct?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jon_R

I believe you get the enail 72 hours before the flight. Is msp-sfo in the window? The flight is not a real late flight with no meal correct?
Ah, I didn't realize it was 72 hours before. I bought the round-trip around 80 hours before departure, but the return isn't at 72 yet.

Both return flights (DCA-MSP and MSP-SFO) say "dinner".

I mean I'm not worried... I'll get a meal either way. I was just confused why I was only able to select for one segment, but you've explained it perfectly.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Is the T-72 thing universal or is it normal to take a little longer? Has anyone gotten their email after the T-72 mark?

Update: arrived at T-70

Last edited by demkr; Mar 16, 2019 at 8:20 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
And to add a little more....FEBO was followed on the flight ^. In this case that was unfortunate for me, as I was the very last person to be asked my selection. Of course, the only thing left was exactly what I was trying to avoid--chicken. So I asked if I could have a cheese plate from the back. I was allowed to purchase one. In the past I have not been charged. I guess my 4.5+ million miles worth of loyalty (which the FA had thanked me for during pre-departure beverage service) was not worth a complimentary cheese plate
I had a very similar experience last summer. I wanted the salmon but it was out and I didn't want the other choice. I told the flight attendant I wanted to buy the cheese. About an hour later I happened to look in the gallery and noticed the light attendant was eating the last salmon herself!

Our eyes made awkward contact and I didn't say anything. But towards the end of the flight I reminded her that I still needed to pay for the cheese and she told me it was on Delta.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I can see it both ways when it comes to crew selecting their choice before offering it to pax. On the one hand, I totally get that customers should come first. On the other hand, if you are eating that food as often as FA's do, I can understand the human nature behind just setting your choice aside. I think most of us would do that at least once in a while for any number of reasons (having a bad day, don't eat something that is in the other dish, etc.)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:27 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KKinLA
I had a very similar experience last summer. I wanted the salmon but it was out and I didn't want the other choice. I told the flight attendant I wanted to buy the cheese. About an hour later I happened to look in the gallery and noticed the light attendant was eating the last salmon herself!

Our eyes made awkward contact and I didn't say anything. But towards the end of the flight I reminded her that I still needed to pay for the cheese and she told me it was on Delta.
I once wanted a Banana and was told they were out 🙄. My post about that turned into.........
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Finally got my first one today!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
MCO - DTW email came at T-72 .Choices were Hamburger Sliders or Chicken Farro Salad. Wife and I both happy!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm still not getting any of these emails, not a single one despite six eligible flights since the program was launched. Diamond line can't figure it out. Twitter can't figure it out. Meanwhile, my ability to get my meal choice has gone way down hill and the flight attendants look at me as stupid for being one of the few in the cabin who didn't preselect. They blame me. Sheesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.