Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Nashville BNA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nashville BNA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gsupstate
We were in OHARE of all places last Sunday, and while not in an airline club, were told we couldn't order Bloody Mary's until after 10am at a regular airport place. We're from the South & used to that, but it really surprised us in Chicago...
Funny because Chicago would be the one place where a bribe would be expected.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
2 issues come to mind about that.

First off, the liquor laws in most states normally pertain to the sale of alcohol. Then there's the private club exclusion which I would think would apply to airline clubs.

Tennesse does have a couple of quirky things. Most states put beer & wine in 1 category and spirits in another (more restrictive) category. Tn. puts wine with spirits, probably to pick up some more tax money.

They also have a process to allow local jurisdictions to change the hours alcohol can be sold. So Memphis can have a different time line than say Nashville. In Louisiana they think New Orleans is a seperate planet and all rules are out the window. When I first moved here people told me that if you were tall enough to put your elbows on the bar, you could buy a drink in the French Quarter. I soon found that to be the case. MADD has changed that somewhat.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:02 pm

Back in 2001/2002 they used to pull this crap in the BNA club. I complained one day and they caved. I think they get some periodic training and the liability for overserving is laid out. Then the attendants get all freaked out for a little while.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Marylou
Most states put beer & wine in 1 category and spirits in another (more restrictive) category.
New Jersey is (or was) an "all or nothing" state -- you want beer or wine, it's gotta be a liquor store with a full license, don't think you're going to score beer at a convenience store! A tiny loophole exists that some (a very few) supermarkets can sell cans/bottles of beer on the shelf (unchilled).

Here in WA, everyone and their grandma can sell beer/wine, but it's state stores for anything else. Bars used to require an actual kitchen to sell hard stuff, but I understand they've relaxed that a bit so that they can get get by with a take-out arrangement from a nearby restaurant (sandwich shop).

Oregon is even more strict, so the Alaska club @ PDX can't go beyond beer and wine (unlike SEA with free vodka ... not rum, or gin, etc. but vodka).
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
New Jersey is (or was) an "all or nothing" state -- you want beer or wine, it's gotta be a liquor store with a full license, don't think you're going to score beer at a convenience store! A tiny loophole exists that some (a very few) supermarkets can sell cans/bottles of beer on the shelf (unchilled).
NJ also requires that only the bartender can refill your glass, even if the bottle is right there.

Wait ... I got confused ... that's in gas stations.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold

Tennesse does have a couple of quirky things. Most states put beer & wine in 1 category and spirits in another (more restrictive) category. Tn. puts wine with spirits, probably to pick up some more tax money.
MS does some weird things also.

But that said, it sounds unusual to me.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
First off, the liquor laws in most states normally pertain to the sale of alcohol. Then there's the private club exclusion which I would think would apply to airline clubs.
The idea of an economic transaction being necessary gets you nothing in Michigan, for one. The law(s) makes reference to furnishing and change of possession; no sale is necessary.

a. “Sale,” as defined in the Liquor Control Code, also includes the “exchange, barter or traffic, furnishing or giving away of alcoholic beverages.”

b. The sale is considered complete when the exchange of possession of the
alcoholic beverages takes place. Pay particular attention to this concept when considering questions of legal hours, furnishing alcohol to minors, and furnishing alcohol to intoxicated persons.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Air Brian
I am there about 100 - 150 days a year, and often have a couple drinks and have never had this happen. The gentleman bartender in the afternoon is among the most hospitable I've ever encountered. I haven't been there in a couple weeks (flying SW more lately) but that sounds out of character. I am not aware of a TN law that would specify this, but anything is possible, I've only lived here a couple years.
I agree the gentleman in the afternoon is always very pleasant and hospitable. Now at the DL ticket counter, that's a different story, as I have encountered exceptional RUDENESS there from one of the female staff. Beware.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: AA G; DL G
Nashville Sky Club Closed for Renovations

For those traveling through BNA, just a heads up the Sky Club is closed through March 30 for renovations.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
How sad that soon BNA will have its very own unattractive, uncomfortable, version of an "enhanced" Club. Let's hope that management does nothing to reduce the present wonderful, welcoming staff to the low levels which unfortunately characterize so many of the routinely inhospitable SkyClub employees throughout the system. BNA has always been a great Club with a great staff and a pleasure to visit.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
What is there to "renovate"? This is a wonderful club. Why spend money?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
What is there to "renovate"? This is a wonderful club. Why spend money?
When I was last there they said they were adding kitchen facilities so they can add the soup and food options that they couldn't do before. I don't know about anything else.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by deltalirious
How sad that soon BNA will have its very own unattractive, uncomfortable, version of an "enhanced" Club. Let's hope that management does nothing to reduce the present wonderful, welcoming staff to the low levels which unfortunately characterize so many of the routinely inhospitable SkyClub employees throughout the system. BNA has always been a great Club with a great staff and a pleasure to visit.
I tend to find the Sky Club employees to be pretty great. My experience is limited to SFO, LAX, MSP, JFK, LGA, MIA, FLL, DTW, ORD, ATL, and SEA, so it could just be the clubs I have visited
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I tend to find the Sky Club employees to be pretty great. My experience is limited to SFO, LAX, MSP, JFK, LGA, MIA, FLL, DTW, ORD, ATL, and SEA, so it could just be the clubs I have visited
I've also had great experiences at pretty much every SC I've been to. My limited experience includes SLC, PDX, CVG, DFW, HNL, MEM, EWR, PHL, RDU, SAN, TPA, BNA and all of your list except FLL.

How is it that you've missed SLC?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
I've also had great experiences at pretty much every SC I've been to. My limited experience includes SLC, PDX, CVG, DFW, HNL, MEM, EWR, PHL, RDU, SAN, TPA, BNA and all of your list except FLL.

How is it that you've missed SLC?
Oh wow-- I have been to both SLC and CVG--thanks for the reminder!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.