Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
2017 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1814354-2017-compensation-thread.html
Print Wikipost

2016 Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Route: PIT-DTW (Endeavour)
Fare: Coach (V) Comp upgrade to First
What Happened: Tray table was not useable due to not being level
Compensation: 7,500 Miles
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum
BWI-SFO

First time poster here, so please bear with me. TL;DR version: I did a VDB and was rerouted through JFK with confirmed transcon service...in DeltaOne.

My initial flight was BWI-DTW-SFO. I bought this ticket some time ago since I tend to buy my tickets for Christmas wayyyyy in advance (I think I bought it in March 2016).

Checked in online 24 hours before flight but there was no option asking for volunteers. Looked at the BWI-DTW seat map with a few standbys with a three seats remaining (this was the flight I thought would be overbooked). DTW-SFO looked fine with many seats available.

Got to BWI early and thought I'd re-print my boarding pass at the carry-on only kiosk. As expected, BWI-DTW was asking for volunteers!! If you don't already know, DL uses a "bidding" system. There are a series of default values: $100, $200, $300, $400, $500, etc. most people will try to press the highest value thinking they will get that compensation. Nope. Do not do that. There is another option, CUSTOM where you enter your own value. What I did was take one of the values and knock it down by $14. Sure enough, when I got the VDB compensation voucher the gate attendant said someone bid one of the default values and I was smart for bidding a few bucks lower. I think most of us can live without an extra $14!

Anyway, at that point, I entered my bid and proceeded to my gate. The standby list for BWI-DTW grew to about 10 with three seats remaining. After that afternoon flight, there were only two other BWI-DTW flights and I did see that one of the later flights was delayed meaning some of those folks would want this earlier flight. I approached the gate agent politely saying that if she needed any volunteers, I'm willing to take a reroute. She thanked me and wrote my name down the list. It was clear that they definitely needed my seat after seeing that standby list so after the previous flight deplaned, she went and proceeded to clear the other standbys.

She called me up to the gate and said I was rebooked for a later BWI-DTW-SFO flight. But: I was confirmed in J class! What a pleasant surprise!But, hold your horses. I did some research the night before and found that DL flies B737s or A319/320s from DTW-SFO. Meh. The daddy of them all are the B757/767s that are used for the transcons from JFK-SFO/LAX. So, I asked the gate agent if I could instead be rerouted to BWI-JFK-SFO because I thought the J service would be better She punched in a few keys and made it work! The terrible part of it was I was arriving in SFO after midnight.

I was pretty patient and not pushy. In fact, my initial telling her about my volunteering was something along the lines: "I was a volunteer for this flight to take a later flight. I'll get out your way but I'll be nearby if you need me." Folks, some sense of decency please. Don't be a jerk and overwhelm the poor gate agents. Especially if you're standby. Especially even more so if you're a non-revenue standby. Traveling by air during the holidays is already a stressful endeavor and you would be surprised how much a smile and an easy going attitude will get you. In fact, when she was processing my VDB voucher and rerouting request, she gave me a meal voucher! So off I went with a VDB voucher, 2 boarding passes (BWI-JFK in Y and JFK-SFO in J), a meal voucher, and a smile!

The BWI-JFK leg was delayed by almost two hours. I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to make my JFK-SFO flight but (thankfully) that leg was delayed, too. I eventually boarded my BWI-JFK flight and arrived at JFK. Note that this leg was a one-class service but I did have one of the seats closer to the front! Fortunately, as a result of getting the J Confirmed seat, my entire itinerary was upgraded to SKY PRIORITY.

At JFK, because I had a seat in J, I was able to access the SkyLounge in Terminal 4. It was actually my first time at that lounge. I was monitoring my delayed JFK-SFO flight and thought I could probably squeeze in 10-15 minutes at the lounge. So to the lounge I went. The Delta staff checking me in the lounge was telling me that earlier in the evening, the lounge was VERY busy. But, because we were well underway in the evening, the lounge was clearing out. I grabbed a cup of cucumber water and a cup of soup. Very impressive array of foods but with not a lot of time, I didn't explore the entire lounge.

Eventually, I boarded my JFK-SFO flight in transcon business class and what an experience! I was pretty mellow the entire flight and since I don't have any status with any one airline, this was a treat.

All in all my initial BWI-DTW-SFO in Y for very little (remember I bought this ticket back in March 2016) turned out to be a later BWI-JFK-SFO trip wth VDB voucher, transcontinental J class, meal voucher, access to the lounge. I'd say I didn't do too bad!

Some final thoughts:
*I can't emphasize enough that people need to be patient with VDB. I think I lucked out getting some of these things because it was just one of those days that wasn't completely screwed for DL. Don't come in expecting that you will get J class. It doesn't always happen.
*Download one of those apps that monitors flights. It helps you gauge when to anticipate incoming flights, etc.
*About the bidding process: I intentionally did not mention dollar figures because I actually think DL has a great system (no I am not affiliated with them and I don't get paid by them...except with vouchers ). I gave you hints as to what I think could help you put in a competitive bid but for the sake of the process, I left out the values as to what I paid, how much was compensated in VDB, meal vouchers.

If you made it this far, kudos! Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by renebt
All in all my initial BWI-DTW-SFO in Y for very little (remember I bought this ticket back in March 2016) turned out to be a later BWI-JFK-SFO trip wth VDB voucher, transcontinental J class, meal voucher, access to the lounge. I'd say I didn't do too bad!
^ great score! Happy delurking
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:30 am

Route: MKE-LGA (Endeavour)
What Happened: Flight delayed 4 hours due to maintenance issue
Compensation: 10,000 Miles (I asked for a refund ugh)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Route: MKE-LGA (Endeavour)
What Happened: Flight delayed 4 hours due to maintenance issue
Compensation: 10,000 Miles (I asked for a refund ugh)
Why would you get a refund? I'm assuming you flew on the flight. 10,000 miles seems more than reasonable here, short of an EU261-type regulation being implemented in the USA.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Route: PHX-SEA (via LAX)
Fare: Coach (V)
What Happened: Numerous delays for mechanical issues, ground traffic control, some supposedly weather delayed--reservation changed 5 times, waited in airport 6 hours
Compensation: 17,500 miles

Also had a second comp issue last year:
Route: SEA-LHR-CDG-LIS
Fare: DeltaOne Award ticket
What Happened: Was sent an email saying I would have access to Virgin Clubhouse. Called to see how this would be possible since my connecting flight was in Terminal 4. Had a bit of a layover so tried it--was able to get to Clubhouse but was denied entry because I was on an inbound D1 flight, outbound Air France Premium. Went to T4 and used Sky Team Lounge.
Compensation: 10,000 miles

Have to say both times I had a pleasant experience with Delta service recovery team.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Geez, I should have sent in a complaint about these??

12/17 - SLC-PHX - delayed 2.5 hours due to incoming flight stuck in BWI
12/22 - SLC-GEG - delayed 1.5 hours due to mechanical after boarding
12/27 - SLC-BUR - delayed 4.5 hours due to weather from incoming flight from COS, then diverted to TWF due to fog in SLC...left at 1:30 am instead of 8:30 pm after deicing
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Geez, I should have sent in a complaint about these??

12/17 - SLC-PHX - delayed 2.5 hours due to incoming flight stuck in BWI
12/22 - SLC-GEG - delayed 1.5 hours due to mechanical after boarding
12/27 - SLC-BUR - delayed 4.5 hours due to weather from incoming flight from COS, then diverted to TWF due to fog in SLC...left at 1:30 am instead of 8:30 pm after deicing

At the end of the day its up to you to decide, but on an individual basis probably not and its so far after the fact, I don't think its right. #1 - depends on the reason why the plane was stuck. #2 Stuff happens. Its only 1.5 hours. Bummer yes, impactful no. #3 Act of god. It should be denied anyway and its morally wrong to request comp for weather which is completely outside the airline's control. In the future, if there are that many delays in a short amount of time, for an airline that prides itself on being the on time machine, I might send in, and briefly assess how they handled each one (positive and negative). If you are going to ask for comp, at least give constructive feedback. DL is pretty generous with the comp, but don't abuse it.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:19 pm

Figure I'd ask here instead of new thread. Also asked Mods to split into 2017 thread

Date: Feb 19, 2017 -> Feb 20
Route: HND-MSP-YYZ (short 1.5hr layover at MSP)
Fare: V
What happened:
Day 1 (of departure): got urgent call/email ~10am local time that flight is cancelled
I've re-routed online, originally HND-LAX-YYZ, but later decided to fly out a day later on same routing HND-MSP-YYZ

Day 2: Flight delayed about 2 hours, causing auto re-route HND-MSP-DTW-YYZ, but then changed again to HND-MSP (long 5 hour layover)-YYZ.
Arriving YYZ about 1.5 days late

What can/should I ask Delta? Thanks

CANCELLED
DELTA 120
Sun, February 19
Tokyo - Haneda, Japan
4:25 pm Minneapolis - St Paul, Minnesota 12:27 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
There is already a 2017 thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-thread.html
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Figure I'd ask here instead of new thread. Also asked Mods to split into 2017 thread

Date: Feb 19, 2017 -> Feb 20
Route: HND-MSP-YYZ (short 1.5hr layover at MSP)
Fare: V
What happened:
Day 1 (of departure): got urgent call/email ~10am local time that flight is cancelled
I've re-routed online, originally HND-LAX-YYZ, but later decided to fly out a day later on same routing HND-MSP-YYZ

Day 2: Flight delayed about 2 hours, causing auto re-route HND-MSP-DTW-YYZ, but then changed again to HND-MSP (long 5 hour layover)-YYZ.
Arriving YYZ about 1.5 days late

What can/should I ask Delta? Thanks
I'm confused. You chose to fly out a day later after the initial cancellation, but now you're inquiring about compensation for being a day late?!?!?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I'm confused. You chose to fly out a day later after the initial cancellation, but now you're inquiring about compensation for being a day late?!?!?
Are you saying that if we "accepted/compromised" with a less-than-preferrable routing or date, we can't ask for compensation?

I'm not out to get Delta, but I think they cancelled due to LOW load as weather was fine

but just curious how this is different than VDB?
I got $800 just for VDB on a 10-hour late flight back in 2015 vs. I got $0 or I shouldn't ask for $$ for taking a 1.5 day late flight??
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Are you saying that if we "accepted/compromised" with a less-than-preferrable routing or date, we can't ask for compensation?

I'm not out to get Delta, but I think they cancelled due to LOW load as weather was fine

but just curious how this is different than VDB?
I got $800 just for VDB on a 10-hour late flight back in 2015 vs. I got $0 or I shouldn't ask for $$ for taking a 1.5 day late flight??
no the difference is that you mentioned there was availability via LAX the same day. If you were unavoidably delayed one day you would have legs to stand on.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by WWads
Exactly right. Given that there is an active 2017 thread, the 2016 thread is closed. Please share your 2017 experiences here.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-thread.html
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.