Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
2017 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1814354-2017-compensation-thread.html
Print Wikipost

2016 Compensation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
ATL-JNB

Flight delayed 3 1/2 hours on board due to mechanical problems. Finally deplaned and sat in the boarding area for nearly another 2 hours before the flight was "cancelled" and rescheduled for 11 AM in the morning....

Compensation offered: 20,000 miles

When I received this compensation offer, I was unimpressed to say the least, given that it was the mechanical problem that significantly delayed the trip. After complaining in several emails that the compensation was inadequate, I received an email that provided a link to a $150 Delta or other merchant voucher. Was pacified until I found out they RETRACTED the 20,000 miles!
The mileage take-back is just like ssko's story a few posts up. It sounds like Delta is getting stingy. I also see that you're a Diamond.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reason: accidental duplicate; please delete
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:57 am

Route: MSP-ANC
Fare: U Fare
What Happened: overcharged for an in-flight food purchase. only bought a tapas snack box but was charged for that and a chicken wrap
Compensation: after my first email all I got was an apology. After I wrote back and said "ummm about that money you overcharged me?" they emailed me back saying they were cutting me a check for $10
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Route: AUS-ATL
Fare: Forget Fare + Economy Comfort+
What Happened: Boarded. Got to seat and realized it would not recline. Briefly mentioned to FA and off we go. Emailed Delta Support.

4000 Miles.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The mileage take-back is just like ssko's story a few posts up. It sounds like Delta is getting stingy. I also see that you're a Diamond.
I agree that Delta must be getting stingier on their compensation. Seeing some awards on this post for other less disruptive issues makes me think that it might depend on who you talk to? I'll update when I hear back from RA.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by injera
TPA->JFK
GM, T fare, EC seat

delta app said plane had in flight power. didnt bother to charge laptop/phone. no in seat power available. laptop drained by South Carolina.

3 of 4 checked bags came out promptly. 4th was left on plane. Arrived 45 minutes later.

Compensation 7,500 miles
Does that include the automatic 2500 for the delayed bag?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HohoGAP
ATL-JNB

Flight delayed 3 1/2 hours on board due to mechanical problems. Finally deplaned and sat in the boarding area for nearly another 2 hours before the flight was "cancelled" and rescheduled for 11 AM in the morning. SkyClub closed by this time. Taxi voucher and downtown hotel voucher were all that were finally given out. Taxis available would not take voucher (was informed it was only good on Checker cabs and none available at midnight). No clothes as I checked a bag, and no food or other voucher. Did depart the following morning and my hotel first night prepaid in Sandton was lost. Otherwise a fun trip.

Compensation offered: 20,000 miles

When I received this compensation offer, I was unimpressed to say the least, given that it was the mechanical problem that significantly delayed the trip. After complaining in several emails that the compensation was inadequate, I received an email that provided a link to a $150 Delta or other merchant voucher. Was pacified until I found out they RETRACTED the 20,000 miles! Several phone calls and emails led nowhere, so wrote RA with the complaint. So far, no code for the $150 e-cert has been received, nor have the miles been re-deposited.
Does the cert show up in your Delta Wallet?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by sethb
Does the cert show up in your Delta Wallet?
Nope, the cert is not in My Wallet. Still hopeful I'll get one or the other (maybe both since I've been complaining like a 3 year old)!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Route: MSP-SAT
Fare: L Fare using AMEX Plat Companion
What Happened: Over booked by 3 and flight had a 1 hr mechanical delay. Volunteered to take a 3 hour later flight.
Compensation: We each got a $400 DL Gift Card and flew in C+
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:44 pm

Hello All,
I just found this forum and just registered. I do not fly too often but I maintain a silver status with Delta.
I have a question regarding compensation. I was flying MSP TO MDW. After takeoff the landing gear would not retract so we had to go back to the airport and we all were re-booked on another flight. I was delayed about 3.5 hours. One passenger told me that delta will probably give me miles to make up for the delay.
Do you folks think Delta will automatically put them into my account or do I need the write a letter to delta? My flight was 1 month ago.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sternfanla
Hello All,
I just found this forum and just registered. I do not fly too often but I maintain a silver status with Delta.
I have a question regarding compensation. I was flying MSP TO MDW. After takeoff the landing gear would not retract so we had to go back to the airport and we all were re-booked on another flight. I was delayed about 3.5 hours. One passenger told me that delta will probably give me miles to make up for the delay.
Do you folks think Delta will automatically put them into my account or do I need the write a letter to delta? My flight was 1 month ago.
If you haven't gotten them yet, then clearly you need to ask.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sternfanla
Hello All,
Definitely write in, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Delta Slymiles
SEA-NRT, in flight entertainment froze 10 minutes into flight never to work again. Two flight attendants (purser and one other I believe) took my info, got 5k miles... That was a long flight...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:57 pm

Better late than never to post...$50 voucher for long delayed flight after Jonas hit NYC...here's the full story:
...JFK-ORD, Jan 25 (yes right after Jonas and the NYC shutdown). Original flight was supposed to be Jan 24, that was cancelled. Spent the night at a friend's place but spent $75 on a gypsy cab to get there. Automatically rebooked for 4pm-ish on the 25th.
...Delayed for mechanical problems, then get on the runway...and sit for about an hour...finally taxi back, wait in the terminal... no meal vouchers, but they made a big deal out of how they were able to get peanuts and soda's for us....almost an hour in the terminal they get us on a bus to another terminal...we wait, finally board, then wait on the plane another hour, because they forgot to get the food and luggage sent over. Finally take off. I sat behind a pilot and FA who were deadheading(?) and they thought this whole shenanigans was beyond bad. Complained on the website while on the plane. Got a $50 voucher the next day.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA, KE, OZ
Route: ATL-PDX
What happened: A flight attendant dropped a large/heavy carry-on bag on my head. No apology was offered.
Compensation: 7500 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.