Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Here is information from the ADA website:

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
That's interesting. Looks like airlines have their own rules.

Q37. Do commercial airlines have to comply with the ADA?
A. No. The Air Carrier Access Act is the Federal law that protects the rights of people with disabilities in air travel. For information or to file a complaint, contact the U.S. Department of Transportation, Aviation Consumer Protection Division, at 202-366-2220.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
If I'm on that plane, we're not taking off until the animal is removed from the exit row.
If you're on that plane, you're probably getting the boot before the person claiming a disability.

The safety needs of the many outweigh the petty emotional wants of one person.
Yet another thoughtcriminal. FT is being overrun with them.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsk1973
If you're on that plane, you're probably getting the boot before the person claiming a disability.

Except for the fact that federal law requires that the exit row be free of all obstructions before takeoff. A large animal most definitely qualifies as an obstruction.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
Except for the fact that federal law requires that the exit row be free of all obstructions before takeoff. A large animal most definitely qualifies as an obstruction.
So do people so overweight that they spill into adjacent seats, but they're almost never moved, either. Indeed, people here at FT have argued for page after page that even suggesting such a thing would be discriminatory.

Frankly, in an emergency, I'd trust a dog's instincts and mobility over most people's.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So do people so overweight that they spill into adjacent seats, but they're almost never moved, either. Indeed, people here at FT have argued for page after page that even suggesting such a thing would be discriminatory.

Frankly, in an emergency, I'd trust a dog's instincts and mobility over most people's.
That shouldn't be allowed either. Almost every airline has a policy against that.

All I want is for the rules to be enforced, and just a little bit of sanity. No animals openly in the cabin without a documented medical condition, fat people must buy FC or two Y seats, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

The only way I want an animal in the exit row is if it's a seeing eye dog and it can lead it's owner and the rest of us out in an emergency. Emotional support animal should not be there. And if you need an ESA, will you be calm enough to assist in an emergency?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC

All people sitting in an exit row have to answer "yes" when the FA asks them if they are willing and able to assist with the emergency exit in case of an emergency.
Being not able, or not speaking English, forbids one to sit there and it is not considered a discrimination towards not sufficiently athletic people, or less linguistically skilled ones.
I guess an emotional assistance animal cannot answer "yes" and if it does it would be lying.

The possibility of considering said animal as baggage, or infant-in-arms is also precluded, since bags in an exit row have to be stored in an overhead and infants are not allowed.

I'm pretty sure that in light of all of the above no animals can be in an exit row.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:56 pm
Suspended

That might be the way things are supposed to be, but that's clearly not how things are. This dog was obviously allowed to remain in the exit row, and we've had multiple reports of people not being moved because of either obesity or lack of English fluency.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
The only way I want an animal in the exit row is if it's a seeing eye dog and it can lead it's owner and the rest of us out in an emergency. Emotional support animal should not be there. And if you need an ESA, will you be calm enough to assist in an emergency?
Sorry but I don't want any animals and blind or extremely obese people in a over wing exit row.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BeatCal
The above is another example of a DYKWIA who does not care of another's needs
Sure, someone else's claimed needs are more important than my physical allergies. I suppose your "need" not to have me sneeze in your face is more important than my ability to breathe, too.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

And the DOT is getting a photograph of the animal in the exit row. If I play it correctly, I get a percentage of the fine Delta pays, too (under the whistleblower act).
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
And the DOT is getting a photograph of the animal in the exit row. If I play it correctly, I get a percentage of the fine Delta pays, too (under the whistleblower act).
I've never heard of such a thing, at least for the traveling public. If it was true, the DOT would probably be getting more submissions than it could process.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never heard of such a thing, at least for the traveling public. If it was true, the DOT would probably be getting more submissions than it could process.
The fact that most people aren't aware is part of the reason it doesn't happen much. But the whistleblower act allows people to get a cut of the fine when they report someone for illegal activities. It's far from that simple, of course.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

As far as I'm aware, the Whistleblower Protection Act only covers federal employees and federal job applicants.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I'm aware, the Whistleblower Protection Act only covers federal employees and federal job applicants.
Then there's something similar that covers others who have knowledge about illegal activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.