Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Any significant schedule change gives you wide latitude to switch to ANY itinerary that day between your city pairs.
In this situation will Delta rebook on partner codeshare flights: KLM, Air France, Alaska? Anything with a Delta flight number? Does it make a difference if the ticket already includes codeshares? Are paid tickets treated differently than award tickets?

I only have 2 Delta (Connection) flights a day to my home airport so when they change those flights it is very difficult to keep to Delta branded flights.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PDXpress
In this situation will Delta rebook on partner codeshare flights: KLM, Air France, Alaska? Anything with a Delta flight number? Does it make a difference if the ticket already includes codeshares? Are paid tickets treated differently than award tickets?

I only have 2 Delta (Connection) flights a day to my home airport so when they change those flights it is very difficult to keep to Delta branded flights.
If you have an award ticket, Delta can open up award availability on its own metal to rebook you, not so much on partners. They have to ask and might not get.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: delta dm
Im seeing saturday schedule changes today. Blocking maps etc. Check your itineraries.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Im seeing saturday schedule changes today. Blocking maps etc. Check your itineraries.
I'm a bit curious about your city pairs where you are seeing changes.

I had no changes the last two Saturdays and so far this morning nothing is showing as changed. I have looked at each itinerary not just looking for the red symbol.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
I'm a bit curious about your city pairs where you are seeing changes.

I had no changes the last two Saturdays and so far this morning nothing is showing as changed. I have looked at each itinerary not just looking for the red symbol.
Cmh msp
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:57 am

I've had some changes. Connection to mainline, 739 to 757 (^) and 753 to 321 () This did made me chuckle

Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Enough MQMs for DM by taking one SLC-ATL flight? Sign me up !
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
LOL wow, that MD-88 is gonna need a lot of fuel stops
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I've had some changes. Connection to mainline, 739 to 757 (^) and 753 to 321 () This did made me chuckle

Screenshot this and demand them to honor the mistake.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
5 of my 12 scheduled flights have changed today.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
5 of my 12 scheduled flights have changed today.
I have at least one itinerary booked for each month August - November. My October itinerary revised today, in both directions, though the changes were very minor. (Slight time changes, 739 swapped to 757)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Besides the mileage, the flight time is also off - SLC has apparently shifted to Pacific time due to tectonic plate movement and that MD-88 must be getting an upgrade to include afterburners to be able to cover the actual 1590 miles in 2 hr 38 min gate to gate. (It's also odd that DL is sending an MD-88 to SLC - didn't think DL sent the MD-88s there.)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Change of operating carrier on one of my itineraries. SkyWest to Endeavor.

Other regionals have been creeping into DCA-CVG lately, so I'm glad to see that more Endeavor flights are coming back. They're the best RJ operator by far.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
No changes for my 3 upcoming itineraries today.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL FO
I have a trip scheduled next month, they adjusted two of the return flights this morning. At one point this morning there was no aircraft type assigned, so it said I had no seat assignment and wouldn't bring up a seat map, but that seems to be corrected now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.