Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SEA-JFK redeye on 4 Jan went from a flat-bed 757 to a 739
worst thing is that I hadn't booked yet ... the 75S migrated to SEA-ATL, and (no surprise) the connection to IAD is pricing at $200 over other routings
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jrl767
SEA-JFK redeye on 4 Jan went from a flat-bed 757 to a 739
worst thing is that I hadn't booked yet ... the 75S migrated to SEA-ATL, and (no surprise) the connection to IAD is pricing at $200 over other routings
oooof... i wonder if they would've re-accomodated you even if you had.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
oooof... i wonder if they would've re-accomodated you even if you had.
While technically no, DL is good at switching in cases like that. It's not JFK-ATL on a 75S being switched out. JFK-SEA is a long flight and one that normally gets them.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I had to educate the Platinum line agent this morning, or at least remind her of DL's policies. Schedule change (relatively minor) got me from JFK to FLL about an hour later, and I was already cutting it close for my purpose. Noticed that a LGA to FLL flight slightly earlier priced $50 cheaper than the flight I had booked, so went ahead and told her to refund my original ticket. She went to check the fare rules to see if it was refundable (it was not), but wanted to waive the change fee and apply it to the LGA flight I now wanted to book. After I told her I should be eligible for a refund because of the schedule change she suddenly remembered and refunded the original flight.

I wonder if DL told phone agents to insist on not refunding (which would make sense)
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Among other changes, I have a RT itinerary with what looked like minor schedule changes on all 4 segments, but the reservation was still showing both the old flights and the new flights this morning. Usually the system has cleaned itself up by now on Sunday. Calling in got it sorted quickly though.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dennis88
I had to educate the Platinum line agent this morning, or at least remind her of DL's policies. Schedule change (relatively minor) got me from JFK to FLL about an hour later...

I wonder if DL told phone agents to insist on not refunding (which would make sense)
Delta's domestic contract of carriage cites a minimum of a 91 minute change to refund a non-refundable ticket. Rule 260 is something I have used myself. This time window is permitted by DOT guidance. IIRC, UA uses 120 minutes. What rule or policy was the agent misinterpreting?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta's domestic contract of carriage cites a minimum of a 91 minute change to refund a non-refundable ticket. Rule 260 is something I have used myself. This time window is permitted by DOT guidance. IIRC, UA uses 120 minutes. What rule or policy was the agent misinterpreting?
It may be listed as such in the CoC, but DL goes by a 1 hour or more rule for refunds.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:50 am

Anyone received an exception before with only a minor 20 minute schedule change?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:59 am

Last night I saw a 24 minute time change. I looked for my new ideal flight. I called and the agent changed it quickly without question. I find I have my best results when I call late at night or early in the morning.^
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:18 pm

OK kids,

Here's our update.

Because their changes added so much time to our trip, obviously, we weren't charged a dime.

They saw our layover going to MCO was 4 1/2 hours with the change and another route was added yesterday so now we go thru SLC and get to MCO an hour earlier. YAY YAY

On the return, they got us on a earlier flight (45 min) out of MCO and the rest of the route stays the same for us. This change now gets us back to the 90 minute layover in ATL that we had before the change. YAY YAY YAY

Thank you all for your kindness and patience with me.

Have a great week and happy Turkey Day

Mel
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Melmgmel
OK kids,

Here's our update.
^ glad things worked out!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
^ glad things worked out!
+1

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Had a huge schedule change that makes my connection impossible (DTW-PVD being switched from 3x a day to 2x a day). Website is saying I need to call in to have it updated.

Does anyone have any luck using twitter to request specific flights? I'd rather not call in and hold for hours and hours...
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Had a huge schedule change that makes my connection impossible (DTW-PVD being switched from 3x a day to 2x a day). Website is saying I need to call in to have it updated.

Does anyone have any luck using twitter to request specific flights? I'd rather not call in and hold for hours and hours...
Can't hurt to try, but I think Twitter, on average, has gotten less useful for changes like this once @DeltaAssist got rolled in with @Delta. Still fine for asking for info like availability/inventory but less so for things that actually touch tickets like SDC/RUC requests etc.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by hi55us

I called in Sunday morning and didn't have to hold at all.

And by calling in, they will go over all the options you have and let you pick which one you prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.