Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mridley2
Booked LGA-ATL-XXX and return XXX-DTW-LGA a couple months ago.

3 of 4 flights have had schedule changes since (including one last Saturday which I actually received an email about).

As of now, all my connections are valid and I meet all MCTs.

Outbound, arrival is now 30 minutes later 11:57p is now 12:27a (+1)
Return both flights changed. I now depart XXX 53 minutes later and land 24 minutes later at LGA.

So cumulative schedule change is between 54 minutes & 107 minutes depending on how you calculate.

Ultimately I'm on XXX-DTW which is a CRJ200 and I would love to get off of this flight onto a larger aircraft or route through ATL/MSP if possible.

Will delta allow me a free change due to all of the schedule changes?
you could try to revise the outbound, stating that you are dependent on public transportation that doesn't operate after 1230am (yeah I know that doesn't help with the CRJ on the return, but if they're opening the entire itinerary they may be willing to accommodate that as well)

this is based on actual success -- a couple years ago I had an 0615 departure promoted to 0600; when I called to explain that the earliest public transit arrival at the airport was 0530, DL rebooked me on my originally preferred flights at 0745 with no hassle at all
Old May 17, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Ultimately I'm on XXX-DTW which is a CRJ200 and I would love to get off of this flight onto a larger aircraft or route through ATL/MSP if possible.

Not clear from OP's post, but a point to note is that if any of these changes involves a change in operating carrier, even if the times are identical, and even if it was DL Connection operator 1 to DL Connection operator 2, you are entitled to a 100% refund - so DL is typically extra flexible in making changes you'd prefer.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
you could try to revise the outbound, stating that you are dependent on public transportation that doesn't operate after 1230am (yeah I know that doesn't help with the CRJ on the return, but if they're opening the entire itinerary they may be willing to accommodate that as well)

this is based on actual success -- a couple years ago I had an 0615 departure promoted to 0600; when I called to explain that the earliest public transit arrival at the airport was 0530, DL rebooked me on my originally preferred flights at 0745 with no hassle at all
Thanks for the public transportation angle. It may prove useful to me in the future.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrl767
this weekend's schedule change took DTW-IAD from a CR9 to a "Satan's Chariot" CRJ
Because I overanalyze things, I pointed out over beers last night that it seems to me Satan's chariot would probably be his personal vehicle and thus very nicely outfitted. So it might be more apt to call the CRJ Satan's station wagon, or jrl767 suggested Satan's schoolbus
Old May 18, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mnbp
Not clear from OP's post, but a point to note is that if any of these changes involves a change in operating carrier, even if the times are identical, and even if it was DL Connection operator 1 to DL Connection operator 2, you are entitled to a 100% refund - so DL is typically extra flexible in making changes you'd prefer.
So just to be clear,if I originally purchased a DL connection flight operated by Compass and it has been changed to being operated by ExpressJet I am entitled to a refund even if the flight times haven't changed?
Old May 18, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Can you, or anyone else, supply a link to this rule? I've heard it discussed many times, but I can't find it written anywhere in the Delta CoC or on the DOT website. Thanks!
Old May 18, 2016, 12:08 pm

Here's a thread that discusses DOT regulations as well as "what to ask for" towards the bottom of the thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nd-denied.html
Old May 19, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

3 of 4 flights have had schedule changes since (including one last Saturday which I actually received an email about).

Return both flights changed. I now depart XXX 53 minutes later and land 24 minutes later at LGA.

So cumulative schedule change is between 54 minutes & 107 minutes depending on how you calculate.

According to the published rules, No. In reality, maybe. "Cumulative" is meaningless.

How tight is the connection now? If it's barely legal, there's a better chance you can change flights.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
OH OH OH. you could be onto something buddy.

My original CHA-DTW flight was operated by EXPRESSJET DBA DELTA CONNECTION and the new flight time is operated by SkyWest DBA Delta Connection.

So it seems like I have a different carrier operating my outbound flight. i definitely do not want a full refund since flight prices are now more than double what I paid if I rebook. But yes I want a flight change on the return.

And no my destination is not a secret so I used XXX but the destination city is irrelevant so I don't see why it's important to give online details for every part of my travel plans.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:25 pm

My original CHA-DTW flight was operated by EXPRESSJET DBA DELTA CONNECTION and the new flight time is operated by SkyWest DBA Delta Connection.

So it seems like I have a different carrier operating my outbound flight. i definitely do not want a full refund since flight prices are now more than double what I paid if I rebook. But yes I want a flight change on the return.

And no my destination is not a secret so I used XXX but the destination city is irrelevant so I don't see why it's important to give online details for every part of my travel plans.
You might have luck with this. DL is obligated to refund a trip where the operating carrier changes - but in your case the outbound carrier changed and the return you really would like to change didn't have a change in carrier. So, it'll be a judgement call on the part of the agent answering your call.

If you can prepare for the call with a reasonable alternative routing, an agent might make the change for you.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

You absolute can can get a change free. There is a legal reason they prattle off all the stuff about fake Delta painted jets and if you get switched to another airline (even one painted to look Delta-ish) you can demand a change free even if time is the same. Push this one and it will work. Done it many times. ^
Old May 26, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Smile

Spoke to an agent this evening about revising my flights after schedule changes on 3 of 4 flights.

I alerted the agent to the fact that I will have an elderly father picking me up at the airport (true) on the outbound and really need to arrive as close to 11pm as possible as he cannot drive after midnight by state law (note true).

Agent also reviewed my schedule change request for the return and again expressed skepticism because my flight had not "changed that much" but I mentioned I need to arrive into LGA by 11pm because public transportation doesn't run after midnight (not true but that M60 bus does get sketchy late at night).

So I pressed the agent to speak with the supervisor and see what he/she could do about the changes. Else I threatened to cancel the flight and rebook with another airline.

Agent comes back and said the supervisor told him "this is really not within the rules but I leave it up to you (the agent) to decide" So the agent agreed to my schedule changes as a one-time exception and then all was taken care of.

So yeah. Never give up and keep asking for what you want. You might eventually get it!
Old May 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Been a while since I've had a schedule change, but ATL-CMH on a trip to DAB this June got flipped from an M88 to a 739.

I will take it, as I was initially disappointed I couldn't get the 739 on that flight even though they'd been running either it or a 757 for the last couple years. I've only been on one and haven't had enough seat time in them to hate it yet pass judgment.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by JSprague24
Been a while since I've had a schedule change, but ATL-CMH on a trip to DAB this June got flipped from an M88 to a 739.

I will take it, as I was initially disappointed I couldn't get the 739 on that flight even though they'd been running either it or a 757 for the last couple years. I've only been on one and haven't had enough seat time in them to hate it yet pass judgment.
My guess: One more flight will do it. IMO, MD88/90 > 739. I really like the quiet cabin on the MD's - especially the front half of the plane. Counting from the back, a few more rows are noisy on the 88's than the 90's, but the front rows on both are some of the quietest planes in the DL fleet. Again, IMO, only the A330's are comparable in cabin quietness.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
My guess: One more flight will do it. IMO, MD88/90 > 739. I really like the quiet cabin on the MD's - especially the front half of the plane. Counting from the back, a few more rows are noisy on the 88's than the 90's, but the front rows on both are some of the quietest planes in the DL fleet. Again, IMO, only the A330's are comparable in cabin quietness.
The Mad Dogs are nice for the quiet cabins as you mention, though I'm surprised at how much louder the -90 is in the back than the -88. I got stuck in the high 30s once on a buddy pass and it was miserable.

In any case, Delta must want me to be the one guy who doesn't hate the 739. My DAB-ATL on that trip just upgauged to a 757. Surprised they changed it a month out, but I will take that seven days a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.