Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Just changed the last leg of an international trip to give me 5+ hours in DTW and arrival at rdu at midnight instead of 9:30 :-( On the other hand, guess I can take a shower in the lounge, right? (I am gold so I can use the lounge as it's in the middle of my flights, not an arrivals lounge, right?) Will be a very long day....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Just changed the last leg of an international trip to give me 5+ hours in DTW and arrival at rdu at midnight instead of 9:30 :-( On the other hand, guess I can take a shower in the lounge, right? (I am gold so I can use the lounge as it's in the middle of my flights, not an arrivals lounge, right?) Will be a very long day....
Yes you can use the lounge for a shower as GM. However, with a change that big, you can also call and ask to change to pretty much any reasonable same-day routing of your choice on DL metal. ^
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
Yes you can use the lounge for a shower as GM. However, with a change that big, you can also call and ask to change to pretty much any reasonable same-day routing of your choice on DL metal. ^
Yeah, I'll double check but I think earlier RDU flights don't give me enough of a connection time and I don't feel like a double connect in the US....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Yeah, I'll double check but I think earlier RDU flights don't give me enough of a connection time and I don't feel like a double connect in the US....
If you're coming from China, have you looked at SEA connections? Maybe LAX? Personally, I don't like the west coast connections because I prefer the long TPAC segments, but others feel differently on the issue, but they might offer better schedules into RDU. If you're coming from NRT, of course there are lots of options (ATL and MSP, for example, instead of DTW, but probably JFK too at least) followed by nonstops into RDU.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're coming from China, have you looked at SEA connections?
No China in the near future - this is a leisure trip to Portugal with my college roommates. I'm booked in Prem Eco so I need to get one of the AF planes from CDG - means I fly JFK, ATL or DTW (maybe Boston?) ATL is possible but would be a tight morning connection at CDG. JFK is doable but I hate changing terminals. So I'm debating if I'd rather spend 5+ hours at Detroit or walk between terminals at JFK. Spoiled much, 1st world problems I know And the trip isn't until September so I'm not sure if the flights could change again?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP has a nonstop CDG flight operated by AF seasonally plus one on DL metal year round. The AF flight tends to be quite late, IIRP about an 8:30 pm departure from MSP and about 1:30 pm (definitely in the afternoon) from CDG. This might work for you if the AF flight has already started operating at the time you travel.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
DL has updated their schedule for the new (tentative) HND-LAX slot times. My 12:10 AM departure in February just got moved to 5:25 PM. DL did keep me on the same calendar day rather than moving me to the 5:25 PM departure the calendar day before, which is fine with me although I imagine most people effected in this situation will be switching to the calendar day before.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:41 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Talking

MKE-MSP-LAX-HNL in purchased first class, with wife and son on the same itinerary booked with miles also in first class. MKE-MSP got changed from a 757 to a CRJ-200 (seriously Delta) which is both a change of carrier and eliminates the first class cabin on that segment.

Successfully exchanged to MKE-ATL-HNL featuring an A330 with lie-flats
Old May 14, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kpbadger
MKE-MSP-LAX-HNL in purchased first class, with wife and son on the same itinerary booked with miles also in first class. MKE-MSP got changed from a 757 to a CRJ-200 (seriously Delta) which is both a change of carrier and eliminates the first class cabin on that segment.

Successfully exchanged to MKE-ATL-HNL featuring an A330 with lie-flats
Now that's what I call a schedule change. Nice. ^

One of my itineraries got changed, but not too bad. One of the segments changed to an MD88 from a modded A320, so I'm not thrilled with that. Gained some extra connect time on the return, but can't really complain, with it being a connection off an international flight.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 14, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
So I have 9 existing DL itineraries.
6 of them had schedule changes within the past two weeks
4 of them had major itinerary busting changes (canceled flights/missed conx/etc)...one of these trips is only 20 days away
1 of them had a 3 minute departure time change.
1 had a flight number change.

Can you guess which is the only one I got an email notification about?

DL IT continues to make it so easy to poke fun at them...
Old May 16, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SEA-DTW-IAD redeye in late July, booked in A several months ago for ~$425 ... this weekend's schedule change took DTW-IAD from a CR9 to a "Satan's Chariot" CRJ, and the PM line was able to switch me to SEA-JFK-DCA w no issues (unfortunately just a regular 20F 757 on the long haul)
Old May 16, 2016, 6:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got a positive change for once: a CRJ-200 on a BWI-RDU July flight became an ERJ-145. Even that flight is too long for a CRJ
Old May 17, 2016, 8:07 am

A Tuesday SFO-JFK-BCN in November changed from a 3 hour layover to an overnight in NYC.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
HELP: Will Delta change my flights with these cumulative schedule changes?

Booked LGA-ATL-XXX and return XXX-DTW-LGA a couple months ago.

3 of 4 flights have had schedule changes since (including one last Saturday which I actually received an email about).

As of now, all my connections are valid and I meet all MCTs.

Outbound, arrival is now 30 minutes later 11:57p is now 12:27a (+1)
Return both flights changed. I now depart XXX 53 minutes later and land 24 minutes later at LGA.

So cumulative schedule change is between 54 minutes & 107 minutes depending on how you calculate.

Ultimately I'm on XXX-DTW which is a CRJ200 and I would love to get off of this flight onto a larger aircraft or route through ATL/MSP if possible.

Will delta allow me a free change due to all of the schedule changes?
Old May 17, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mridley2
Booked LGA-ATL-XXX and return XXX-DTW-LGA a couple months ago.

3 of 4 flights have had schedule changes since (including one last Saturday which I actually received an email about).

As of now, all my connections are valid and I meet all MCTs.

Outbound, arrival is now 30 minutes later 11:57p is now 12:27a (+1)
Return both flights changed. I now depart XXX 53 minutes later and land 24 minutes later at LGA.

So cumulative schedule change is between 54 minutes & 107 minutes depending on how you calculate.

Ultimately I'm on XXX-DTW which is a CRJ200 and I would love to get off of this flight onto a larger aircraft or route through ATL/MSP if possible.

Will delta allow me a free change due to all of the schedule changes?
I don't think so, these are minor changes. Maybe if you were a DM, but not FO. Why the secrecy, btw?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.