Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit, or ORC: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Long story short. Was originally booked to fly LSE-MSP-MCO last night on NW with DL number for miles. Flight was cancelled due to Jeanne. Called NW and found out that they rebooked me on Midwest Airlines for this morning - for LSE-MKE-MCO (without asking me first). I took the flight this morning.

Question: Will I get my miles posted to DL automatically? Is it worth the trouble and is there a chance to get original routing miles LSE-MSP-MCO? Should I do this over the phone or e-mail? And should it be with DL (who might not have a record of NW rebooked to Midwest) or should I call NW?

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GreedyB
Question: Will I get my miles posted to DL automatically?
No. The miles must be posted manually.

Is it worth the trouble and is there a chance to get original routing miles LSE-MSP-MCO?
Absolutely and definitely respectively.

Should I do this over the phone or e-mail?
I'd do it over the phone.

And should it be with DL (who might not have a record of NW rebooked to Midwest) or should I call NW?
NW since you booked the ticket through them and they reaccommodated you due the flight cancellation.

In addition to your SkyMiles, you can claim Midwest Miles for your flights with them, if you wish. As an alternative, you should be able to get AA credit for the YX flights. This is in addition to, not in lieu of the SkyMiles you should receive for your originally booked NW-operated flights.

Last edited by cAAl; Sep 27, 2004 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Credit for original routing

I'm scheduled to fly ISP-CVG-DFW-XNA tomorrow. If I change to LGA-ATL-XNA, can I still request the MQM's for the original routing?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
I'm scheduled to fly ISP-CVG-DFW-XNA tomorrow. If I change to LGA-ATL-XNA, can I still request the MQM's for the original routing?
No. You will get MQMs based on your flown itinerary. There are situations that arise from irregular ops or cancellations when you can request original routing credit, but a voluntary itinerary change is not one of them.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLfan
No. You will get MQMs based on your flown itinerary. There are situations that arise from irregular ops or cancellations when you can request original routing credit, but a voluntary itinerary change is not one of them.
Thanks, that's what I figured.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:58 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
Thanks, that's what I figured.
Good try, though!!

(You just put a big smile on my face since all of us would like to be able to do this!)
Old Oct 20, 2004, 9:04 am

Programs: UA
But is it possible with IRROPS? Last year I was rerouted through LGW on BA/DL instead of through CDG on AF (because of AF cancellation) and was told "tough luck", no miles, no MQMs for the BA segment. I did not pursue this further, as it was "only" 800 or so miles, but it looks like I have been shortchanged
Old May 20, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Does original routing credit apply here?

I was booked on a NW flight, NW metal, with my Delta FF#.
I was VDB'd and was put on a USAir flight.

Can I still ask NW to credit my Delta Skymiles with the original routing?
Old May 20, 2005, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I have received original routing credit on DL in the past when put on another airline. I don't know what DL will do in these sad times. It won't hurt to write an email and ask.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Original routing credit denied...help?

Hi there...I've been posting about this in the NW forum, but NW told me it was DL's deal...so here's the deal:

I was on NW flights/NW metal with my DL skymiles #.
NW rerouted me over to US.
I want the original routing credit to my skymiles account.

Several people in the NW forum told me this would be no problem;
however, when I called the Skymiles desk today, she said she couldn't do it (she supposedly even checked with her support desk on this one).

Anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

GA
Old May 31, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've done this with my NW account with no problem, but not with DL. Maybe it's time to switch over to NW.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Stuff like that usually works like a charm if you credit the flight to the operating carrier's flight, as it is a mix of loyalty reward and customer care compensation.

In your case, the problem is most likely that DL will not be reimbursed for the miles by NW as you did not take the flight.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Mileage for original routing

On our return from Italy this week, we were scheduled PSA-MXP-ORD on AZ; the segments are 500 mi and 4527 mi. (total 5027)
The first leg got cancelled (weather) and we rerouted PSA-CDG-ORD, on AF, that's 525 and 4140 miles. (total 4665)
For Mrs. Gargoyle, this is a difference of 362 miles, not a major amount, but every mile counts.
If we request it can she receive credit for the original mileage?

Note A: It looks like she'll end up with 36k to 40k MQM for the year, so the MQM's aren't needed.

Note B: In my case, I came out ahead, because I put the miles on my AZ account, and they give a minimum of 1200 for internat'l flights, so I got 1200 for PSA-CDG, for a total of 5340.

Note C: I do have BP's for both original and actual routing, since we were already boarded when they cancelled.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Nov 25, 2006 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:46 pm

I'd request an original routing credit. Sometimes you can get credit for both.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Both? So Gargoyle and MrsGargoyle could get 9-10k miles???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.