Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit, or ORC: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit, or ORC: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Back in the good ol' days of nwa.com, I had several advance schedule changes that resulted in shorter routings, and successfully requested ORC after completing the flights. My guess is that with the number of schedule changes DL normally inflicts the best strategy is to wait for one that allows free changes, then try to rebook the original routing, or as close to it as possible.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Original routing credit denied

Last week I was booked ORD-DTW-DFW, which earns 1487 MQM's. DL called me the night before the flight to ask me to VDB, and so I took an ORD-MSP-DFW route, 1354 MQM's. I e-mailed asking for original routing credit, and after six days received this reply:

The MQMs are only posted by automation, therefore, they can not be
offered for flights that you did not travel. Accordingly, we
respectfully decline the request for additional MQMs.

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best
to merit your confidence and support.
Is this a change in policy, or does it just apply to VDB? I've SDC'ed to different routes in the past and gotten original routing credit.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I faxed in a ticket receipt recently where they changed my FRA-JFK-WAS-BOS to FRA-JFK-BOS ... got the miles within 2-3 days.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:38 pm

AFAIK, this is not DL's policy. If I were in your shoes, I'd call customer care, tell them you want the original credit and complain about the person that sent you the form letter.

I don't know what it is about SkyMiles specific problems, but they seem to have a bunch of form letter cut& pasters working on those problems. I *wonder* if they're still "off-shore".

They missed some Air France flights for me a few months back and I got 2 completely irrelevant form letters before I called them and complained. The customer care people fixed it in about 30 seconds.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I was also denied multiple times (DL re-routed me due to a mechanical on a flight from Hawai'i) before finding an associate who truly understood what I was asking - the additional MQMs were then added immediately.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:43 pm

B.S..

Email again.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:47 pm

B.S..

Email again.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
B.S..

Email again.
Originally Posted by WBurcham
B.S..

Email again.
You had me the first time.

I've e-mailed again, if the response is the same I'll call. I won't bother the phone line right now, ATL is expecting snow flurries in the morning so they're probably busy proactively canceling flights.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
DL called me the night before the flight to ask me to VDB, and so I took an ORD-MSP-DFW route ... Is this a change in policy, or does it just apply to VDB? I've SDC'ed to different routes in the past and gotten original routing credit.
The fact that it was a VDB might be getting in the way. In any case, I would be very surprised if you called and get an agent that would be willing or able to help you. I would suggest...

1. Try the delta.com link to request mileage credit. If you enter your ticket number you may see your original routing and could claim it that way.

2. Fax in the request. I haven't used it since the FF programs were fully merged but there was a fax number on the back of the NW Platinum card that got a fax right to the Worldperks people. Any request for original routing credit submitted that way was granted within a few hours. I don't know for sure whether that or any fax option still exists.

3. Email again, but make sure you are clear that you want them to remove the posted flights and replace them with the flights originally booked. Be specific about dates, flight numbers, origin, destination, etc. The response you received suggests they thought you were simply requesting a deposit of extra MQM's, which they have no way to do outside of posting an actual flight.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I know this isn't really the point of your post, but you got called to VDB the night before your flight? Has that happened to anyone else? I wonder how badly the flight needs to be over for them to do that.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I usually fax up to Chisholm and they post within an few hours. But that was before Dultification.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by SamOF
I know this isn't really the point of your post, but you got called to VDB the night before your flight? Has that happened to anyone else? I wonder how badly the flight needs to be over for them to do that.
happens every now and then, had that happen with DL and CO on dom and intl flights before, along with some $$ for VDB
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Is this a change in policy, or does it just apply to VDB? I've SDC'ed to different routes in the past and gotten original routing credit.
I booked a trip earlier this year XNA-CVG-ATL and ATL-IND-MEM-XNA because it was half the price of the direct flight. I SDC'd on the direct both ways, but are you saying I can request credit for the originally booked routing? I always thought that only applied to routing that was changed involuntarily.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Stripe
The fact that it was a VDB might be getting in the way.
I thought ORC was something you had to request upfront for a VDB situation.

David
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Follow up- it's getting worse.
I e-mailed DL again on Mar. 1, and never received a reply. I spoke with SMS mid month, and they said they couldn't see back that far, but they'd put in a request. I sent my e-mail again a couple days ago, mentioning that no one bothered to respond. I received a prompt reply saying they'd fix it.

They did.

My request was for the Original Routing Credit for the outbound, where I took a VDB to a route with 135 less miles. So, I'm only asking for 135 MQM's.

They not only didn't fix that, but they switched my return routing to the original routing (which I specifically did not request; in fact, my original request was submitted before I flew the return). On the return I also took a VDB resulting in one segment being rebooked in Y. They put me back in U on the original, shorter route.

So, instead of giving me the missing 135 MQM's, the Delta Medallion Desk deducted 400 MQM's from my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.