Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kjnangre
The chance is 0. DL will gladly rebook you to PHL thru DTW or ATL tho, hopefully in time to catch your AA flight. Why did you book such a complex itinerary in the first place?
I wouldn't say the chance is zero, especially with poster being Platinum. They are asking for a destination less than 200 miles away, in the same state. Certainly not unreasonable for Delta to allow a destination change like that - not like they are asking to change to Florida or Texas or something much farther away.

OP, it doesn't hurt to ask nicely. Worst case they say no, and rebook you however you want to Philly. But, I would definitely ask nicely about SCE, just mention your plans had you driving there, but now with a 5 hour delay, may they please just fly you closer? Something like that.

I've been offered Akron, OH for a Pittsburgh destination same day confirm before. No big deal. Just be nice, if you don't yell at them you may be the only person they encounter that day who acts in a dignified manner like that.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
yeah. thanks for the reply. I asked nicely and said if they can fly me to a closer city like 150 miles away. The agent is super nice and say let's take a look and finish all that process in 3 minutes. with the final "thank you and you really make my day" she said "no no that's my job, have a wonderful day". that's the reason I love Delta so much!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
My wife and I recently experienced a 1h50min schedule change with our LAS-AMS-BRU-LAX-HNL itinerary, in Z, in late Dec. Specifically, the departure time of the BRU-AMS return segment, part of our BRU-AMS-LAX-HNL itinerary, was moved up by nearly 2hrs. So, I called to request a later departure from BRU. I asked for a mid-afternoon BRU departure, via AMS and ATL, on DL code shares with KL, with an overnite in ATL, and then on to HNL the next morning. I was told by the agent that this couldn't be done because this would be considered a stopover in ATL, even though the arriving and departing flights were a < 24hrs. connection. I indicated that I thought this cxn. time was allowed on an international itinerary. She seemed surprised at this and checked with the KL reissue desk. They said that the change had to be book "point to point" and couldn't process it. Huh? Was this because the desired flights were KL code shares? I was eventually successful in rebooking a later morning BRU departure to ATL, overnighting there, and then on to HNL on a N/S the next morning, all on DL. Just wondering if the denial of my first request was due to it involving KL flights.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arkangel
My wife and I recently experienced a 1h50min schedule change with our LAS-AMS-BRU-LAX-HNL itinerary, in Z, in late Dec. Specifically, the departure time of the BRU-AMS return segment, part of our BRU-AMS-LAX-HNL itinerary, was moved up by nearly 2hrs. So, I called to request a later departure from BRU. I asked for a mid-afternoon BRU departure, via AMS and ATL, on DL code shares with KL, with an overnite in ATL, and then on to HNL the next morning. I was told by the agent that this couldn't be done because this would be considered a stopover in ATL, even though the arriving and departing flights were a < 24hrs. connection. I indicated that I thought this cxn. time was allowed on an international itinerary. She seemed surprised at this and checked with the KL reissue desk. They said that the change had to be book "point to point" and couldn't process it. Huh? Was this because the desired flights were KL code shares? I was eventually successful in rebooking a later morning BRU departure to ATL, overnighting there, and then on to HNL on a N/S the next morning, all on DL. Just wondering if the denial of my first request was due to it involving KL flights.
No just an agent that didn't know how to process something. Instead of saying that, they make stuff up.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Well, maybe not quite. I called back today re-request those flights, knowing that it was somewhat of a long-shot, but indicating that I had possibly been given some misinformation. The rather somewhat more knowledgeable agent checked with "the powers that be" and indicated that Z inventory needs to be available, for partner airlines anyway, in order to make the change. And, in this case anyway, there was none. So, I looked on Expert Flyer and found that there is, in fact, Z inventory available for the BRU-ATL segments that I want, but not for the ATL-HNL segment. So, my question is, does Z inventory need to be available for the entire itinerary and not just for the segmants that I want to change?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:32 pm

DL should be able to force it on their own metal.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:07 pm

Which they did, but it means that we'll have to spend about 5hrs. at JFK instead of enjoying that time in Brussels. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by arkangel
Well, maybe not quite. I called back today re-request those flights, knowing that it was somewhat of a long-shot, but indicating that I had possibly been given some misinformation. The rather somewhat more knowledgeable agent checked with "the powers that be" and indicated that Z inventory needs to be available, for partner airlines anyway, in order to make the change. And, in this case anyway, there was none. So, I looked on Expert Flyer and found that there is, in fact, Z inventory available for the BRU-ATL segments that I want, but not for the ATL-HNL segment. So, my question is, does Z inventory need to be available for the entire itinerary and not just for the segmants that I want to change?
With the new dumbed down reservation system, any change reprices the whole ticket, meaning that it first books you anew in all the flights - at the current availability/price - and then cancels the old, so if an agent is using the very buggy and untested GUI system, as everyone is, then yes, it needs to be available in both. However, if you get a Global Ticketing Support or such agent who has access to the old more powerful reservation system, they should be able just to change the segment you want, and keep the existing inventory for the flights not being changed.

Plus, of course, for it's own flights, DL can open up the inventory. For JV flights (AF/KL/AZ/VS, I think now KE also) DL can book you into the currently available fare class, but do manual ticket reissue as an even exchange and simply not update the fare calculation and not charge you any difference (well and for non-JV flights also DL can do that, but there it may be more tricky as then it doesn't all go into one common pot and that may end up costing DL, and DL, of course, will never do anything for a passenger that ends up costing it if it can avoid it).
tscateh likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I don't particularly care since the seats are equivalent (at least, I think they are). But I just noticed I have a flight a few weeks from now where I was moved from 4A to 5A without any notice. Still an A333, same flight number, times, etc. I assume this was from schedule change Saturday, but really could have been anytime between last Friday and right now (Tuesday afternoon) when I happened to notice.

What's odd is that all of the A seats have been booked for the past two weeks or so, meaning whoever was in 5A previously also got shuffled off somewhere.

Any ideas? I don't mind this one but would be a little annoyed if I got moved over to a J seat; and moderately perturbed if I got shuffled to a C/G seat.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Grasping at straws, but what if it switched from 333 to 332 and back to 333? Same number of seats but maybe the computer was too dumb to keep everyone with the same assignment?
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Grasping at straws, but what if it switched from 333 to 332 and back to 333? Same number of seats but maybe the computer was too dumb to keep everyone with the same assignment?
Could also be a 339 got loaded and then unloaded. Regardless the system normally just goes by window/aisle when do a reseating. Ots not smart enough to understand 1A on plane 1 is equal to 1A on plane 2. It just know that you selected a window, or that your profile preference is window and picks a window.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Could also be a 339 got loaded and then unloaded. Regardless the system normally just goes by window/aisle when do a reseating. Ots not smart enough to understand 1A on plane 1 is equal to 1A on plane 2. It just know that you selected a window, or that your profile preference is window and picks a window.
But with the new D1 and all the 767 cabins and the in-line seats, there is a difference in window seats - even/odd rows being closer to the window or aisle.
My preference is closer to the window, and it differs, for example on the 359 (odd rows seat closest to window) and 339 (even rows seat closest to window).
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mot29

But with the new D1 and all the 767 cabins and the in-line seats, there is a difference in window seats - even/odd rows being closer to the window or aisle.
My preference is closer to the window, and it differs, for example on the 359 (odd rows seat closest to window) and 339 (even rows seat closest to window).
I get that. However system isnt smart enough to handle that level nuance. It's simply window/aisle/no preference.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks for the replies, all. A double equip-change seems to make sense. Or maybe DL IT just had a moment.

As I said, on the A330s particular plane it's not a huge deal to move back one mid-cabin row in a window, but as mot29 points out this could be problematic on a plane with staggered seats or where the bulkhead was noticeably better/worse than others. I was even thinking maybe they were moving people around to seat a couple together, but that would only make sense in the middle seats.

I would certainly not be happy if they moved me on the return of this trip - 1D on a 763.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update. Just got this email from DL (and my name was spelled wrong due to common spellcheck error, so it would appear a copy/paste deal and not 100% automated). Weird.

Also realizing now that this probably wasn't the best thread for this story - I originally thought it was sched change related. Oh well.

​Dear Mr. Lee,

We wanted to let you know that unfortunately your seat assignment on
Flight XX on DATE has been changed due to a technical seat
duplication issue. We've done our best to give you a similar seat; your
new seat is 05A.

We know you have seat preferences and are really sorry we had to change
your seat. You're welcome to review your new seat assignment on
delta.com or the Fly Delta app where you can view your seat and select
from other available seat options.

Again, we apologize we weren't able to honor your original seat choice
and for any inconvenience this may cause. We're grateful for your
SkyMiles loyalty and look forward to seeing you on board again soon.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.