Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm reading this as you used VS miles to book Delta flights. Most of the advise given by the other two posters applies, but you would need to contact VS instead of DL. VS also has partnerships with by AF and KLM, so you could presumably get them to book you on those flights if they work better for you. However, that depends on their policies and whether they would allow you to change which partner metal. I'd definitely look for something that's not on the 767 and ask for that.
I indeed completely missed that detail
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:38 pm

I'm reading this as you used VS miles to book Delta flights. Most of the advise given by the other two posters applies, but you would need to contact VS instead of DL. VS also has partnerships with by AF and KLM, so you could presumably get them to book you on those flights if they work better for you. However, that depends on their policies and whether they would allow you to change which partner metal. I'd definitely look for something that's not on the 767 and ask for that.
I was about to point this out. OP would likely have better luck asking for DL metal. I'm going to presume that VS can't force open AF award inventory.
Also if you're in J, I'd definitely try for the flight via ATL if possible...it's almost 1,000 more NM's in lie flat seats compared to routing though BOS.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
VS won't let one change airlines, as each there airline has different policies and pricing. Only option is to redeposit miles, and they'll waive the cancel fee. Then up to pax to book a new ticket (be it a VS award - which is contingent on availability of any other airlines, or something else).

VS cannot open up DL or any other airline inventory, so the only rebooking options are as what VS shows at available, at the pricing as shown. The only thing the OP can get is a waiver of the VS award redeposit fee.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, everyone. Date of travel has changed so I'm going to cancel with the waived redeposit fee and hold the miles for a future journey.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Used twitter today as the Australian contact center is closed for the weekend.

Sent a DM at 10:20am local (~6:20pm eastern):
My name is <serfty> date of birth xxx. I have a reservation yyyyyy for Jan xx, LAX-DFW via ATL. This is Comfort+ W class

Schedule change has broken Minimum Connection Time at ATL.

Please rebook in Comfort+ same day, same route departing LAX at 8:45am, arriving DFW 8:03pm.
Email received with updated flights as requested 3½ hours later, along with a reply DM.

Note the original departure was midday with arrival 10pm; the change had departure after 1pm giving 25 minutes to connect at ATL. There was another ATL flight an hour earlier but it was pretty full with all decent C+ seating taken.
On the same booking I was originally booked for a departure at 6:25am, but subsequent changes to 7:35am, then 8:00am. At that point I modified hotel bookings to optimise for the later departure.

This week I had another change, modifying my departure time from 8:00am back to 6:55am.

I twittered for a preferable change departing 8:25am but received the following reply:
In looking at your reservation, the originally booked time ... was 6:30 am. It has been changed to depart at 6:55 am, which is only 25mins later and not eligible for a complimentary change.
Oh well, win some lose some.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 13, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by serfty
On the same booking I was originally booked for a departure at 6:25am, but subsequent changes to 7:35am, then 8:00am. At that point I modified hotel bookings to optimise for the later departure.

This week I had another change, modifying my departure time from 8:00am back to 6:55am.

I twittered for a preferable change departing 8:25am but received the following reply:Oh well, win some lose some.
Doesnt matter what the original time was. Your previous flight was at 800am. HUCA is in order
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta GM
Apologies for the long post with several questions, but I'm just trying to stay ahead of things and appreciate your input.

1. a. I have a 006 ticket with all segments operated by KE. Do they have schedule changes as frequently as DL?
1.b. if I do see a significant schedule change on this itinerary, would DL be willing to reroute me on DL metal for legs that they can? I'm assuming yes, but I've not flown many partner legs.

2. If I take an FCM offer for one leg of a multi-leg trip and subsequently experience a schedule change, I assume DL would keep me in F for that leg if available (but not guaranteed) if I were to change flights. What about if I change routing? I.e. on AMS-DTW-CHI, if I take an FCM offer for DTW-CHI, and as a result of a schedule change, change routing to AMS-MSP-CHI, would they try to keep me in F on MSP-CHI or would I just kiss my fcm fee goodbye?

3. I have a six-leg award ticket, with two legs on KL. Would this present any issues from rebooking due to a schedule change or would DL be able to get me on any available KL flight if asked?

Thank you in advance! None of these have occurred yet, but again, just would like to be prepared. The KE itinerary is five months out and the DL/KL award is ten months out, so schedule change is quite likely (at least on the latter trip).

Last edited by JoelThomas; Nov 15, 2019 at 7:51 am Reason: Autocorrect
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Apologies for the long post with several questions, but I'm just trying to stay ahead of things and appreciate your input.

1. a. I have a 006 ticket with all segments operated by KE. Do they have schedule changes as frequently as DL?
1.b. if I do see a significant schedule change on this itinerary, would DL be willing to reroute me on DL metal for legs that they can? I'm assuming yes, but I've not flown many partner legs.

2. If I take an FCM offer for one leg of a multi-leg trip and subsequently experience a schedule change, I assume DL would keep me in F for that leg if available (but not guaranteed) if I were to change flights. What about if I change routing? I.e. on AMS-DTW-CHI, if I take an FCM offer for DTW-CHI, and as a result of a schedule change, change routing to AMS-MSP-CHI, would they try to keep me in F on MSP-CHI or would I just kiss my fcm fee goodbye?

3. I have a six-leg award ticket, with two legs on KL. Would this present any issues from rebooking due to a schedule change or would DL be able to get me on any available KL flight if asked?

Thank you in advance! None of these have occurred yet, but again, just would like to be prepared. The KE itinerary is five months out and the DL/KL award is ten months out, so schedule change is quite likely (at least on the latter trip).
1. No
1b. Yes. They can override space on DL flights, so this would be most likely.
2. Either they keep you in F or refund the fee.
3. In advance they can only rebook partner segments if they have award space available. DoD IRROPS they'll be able to rebook regardless.
JoelThomas likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
1. No
1b. Yes. They can override space on DL flights, so this would be most likely.
2. Either they keep you in F or refund the fee.
3. In advance they can only rebook partner segments if they have award space available. DoD IRROPS they'll be able to rebook regardless.
Thank you!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Curious whether others are seeing a stricter policy of late.
There was a significant change to the Delta Shuttle schedule for an upcoming reservation, and my flight was moved to 30 minutes later. (and a DCA-JFK flight was moved to 46 minutes later). In the past, I've had no trouble being moved to just the earlier one. This time, the phone agent refused to even look into it, saying it was within 90 minutes. Twitter was of little help, as they offered to waive the change fee but still charge the difference in fare, citing the within 90 minutes policy. Seems particularly ridiculous as applied to the shuttle.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Curious whether others are seeing a stricter policy of late.
There was a significant change to the Delta Shuttle schedule for an upcoming reservation, and my flight was moved to 30 minutes later. (and a DCA-JFK flight was moved to 46 minutes later). In the past, I've had no trouble being moved to just the earlier one. This time, the phone agent refused to even look into it, saying it was within 90 minutes. Twitter was of little help, as they offered to waive the change fee but still charge the difference in fare, citing the within 90 minutes policy. Seems particularly ridiculous as applied to the shuttle.
Yes, I've definitely noticed that they are less likely to break the rules just cause you ask nicely. I'd say that started 1 to 2 years ago in my experience. And frankly I'm ok with that, I think a lot of people (myself included) were taking advantage of the system (using a 20 minute schedule change to switch to a flight 8 hours earlier with extra connections to get more MQM).

I thought there were special same-day change rules for the shuttle. I've never used a shuttle so not really sure tho.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Yes, I've definitely noticed that they are less likely to break the rules just cause you ask nicely. I'd say that started 1 to 2 years ago in my experience. And frankly I'm ok with that, I think a lot of people (myself included) were taking advantage of the system (using a 20 minute schedule change to switch to a flight 8 hours earlier with extra connections to get more MQM).

I thought there were special same-day change rules for the shuttle. I've never used a shuttle so not really sure tho.
Well I guess also the shift from 60 minutes to 90 minutes has the impact. I fly DC to NY several times a year and hadn't seen any issue with this recently. But when the system decides to put you on a flight 45 minutes later rather than the one forty-five minutes earlier, it seems common sense would allow it. The special same-day change rules for the Shuttle have gone by the wayside several years ago, along with most other differences between other RJ flights.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:47 am

Well I guess also the shift from 60 minutes to 90 minutes has the impact. I fly DC to NY several times a year and hadn't seen any issue with this recently. But when the system decides to put you on a flight 45 minutes later rather than the one forty-five minutes earlier, it seems common sense would allow it. The special same-day change rules for the Shuttle have gone by the wayside several years ago, along with most other differences between other RJ flights.
As a follow-up, another agent just called me back and said I should have been able to change no problem and as long as you get an email telling you that there's a schedule change and call to let us know if this doesn't work, you're eligible. So, happy ending.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:48 am

Yes, that 45 mins earlier vs later does seem like common sense would allow either one. That is frustrating!! I'm on the west coast and none of my routes have that kind of high frequency, so I've never been in a case like that.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:49 am

As a follow-up, another agent just called me back and said I should have been able to change no problem and as long as you get an email telling you that there's a schedule change and call to let us know if this doesn't work, you're eligible. So, happy ending.
Awesome! I'm not sure about that email rule tho. But hey, glad it worked
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.