Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 12:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
they may have to have the companion cert desk handle it.

I sometimes wonder how many of these "desks" are actual distinct departments vs. agents with specialized training
Attached Images  

Last edited by davetravels; May 14, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
, I'm on an award ticket, and there was zero availability at my award level on any flight from SVO to AMS on my day of travel (all non-Delta, so they can't override anything). I also asked about routing through JFK on SU100 - no availability at my award level there either. Ultimately 0/6 on all of my flight suggestions. Bummer.
This stinks. A similar thing happened to me in late 2015 for a July 2016 trip to Berlin.

Basically You're back to square one for your award travel search. Though as long as you find the low level availability of the KLM/AF/SU portion delta should force inventory on any delta metal flights.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Delta Schedule change this week / Class of service no longer available

So my change effected my second flight from MSP-TVC - it is now getting in 25 minutes later but the bigger issue is they switched from a 319 to a CRJ with no comfort or FC. We had seats together in comfort now we are apart and the flight is fully booked. I HATE the CRJ and we are bring our two dogs...

Just booked this on Tuesday after much research. Do I have a good case to cancel booking? The class of service not being offered seems justifiable OR a refund of $$$ / Points. I booked using points with my Chase card. I was told to go back through Chase on Monday when their scheduling department reopens.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Welp, I had an unfortunate change this weekend. We're taking a trip to LAS in July, and I had us booked on the last non-redeye flight home, departing at 5:15pm LAS-SLC-SAT. The 41 minute layover in SLC got cut to 8 minutes with yesterday's change, and the latest non-redeye option now is a 2:58pm departure through LAX. I guess I'll take that, but this will cut into my plan for spending Sunday recovering by the pool before our flight home. We're on an A fare with the Reserve companion certificate; I assume that won't impact our rebooking options though.
And just noticed the outbound is done to a 30 minute connection at SLC. I think I'd like to keep it if possible, and it seems to meet MCT. Connection is from a CRJ900 to a 717. I've only been through SLC once AFAIK. Any thoughts on likelihood of making this connection if we're on time? I like it because I can work half a day and still get to Vegas by dinner, so I don't really want to change flights.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:52 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Any thoughts on likelihood of making this connection if we're on time?
I remember having a 35 minute connection at SLC once, and I still had time for snacks and drinks at the SkyClub!
Old May 14, 2017, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LAXLUXflyer
So my change effected my second flight from MSP-TVC - it is now getting in 25 minutes later but the bigger issue is they switched from a 319 to a CRJ with no comfort or FC. We had seats together in comfort now we are apart and the flight is fully booked. I HATE the CRJ and we are bring our two dogs...

Just booked this on Tuesday after much research. Do I have a good case to cancel booking? The class of service not being offered seems justifiable OR a refund of $$$ / Points. I booked using points with my Chase card. I was told to go back through Chase on Monday when their scheduling department reopens.

Welcome to FT!

Going from F to an aircraft with no F cabin, and also mainline to regional, are valid reasons for a free cancellation, which can often be translated into accommodation on other flights of your preference, but you do have to go through the ticketing agency.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

I agree with Zorak. You have a rock solid case for cancellation and full refund. Inability to accommodate you in Comfort+ and change of operating carrier are both reasons for refund.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by InsUW2
No, in my case, the new layout has the "C" and "D" seats blocked as for Premium users. As I am no longer a Premium users, I can't select it. It took 2 more tries at the reservation desk to get a Supervisor that understood what happened and to see that the seat was just blocked and available and not blocked and occupied.

31 minutes of phone time and I am back in 15C like I originally bought and wanted.
No, you got it at the time because you were premium. The fact is the on DoD you don't qualify for the seat. The fact DL let's you keep it after dropping had to do with technology. In your case a plane change happened, not just a 2 minute schedule change as you allude is the issue. Thus you are no longer a premium passenger and don't qualify for that seating. The fact the supervisor agreed to it was a customer service gesture. They were in no way required to move you back or give you any premium seating.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Originally Posted by Zorak
Welcome to FT!

Going from F to an aircraft with no F cabin, and also mainline to regional, are valid reasons for a free cancellation, which can often be translated into accommodation on other flights of your preference, but you do have to go through the ticketing agency.
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I agree with Zorak. You have a rock solid case for cancellation and full refund. Inability to accommodate you in Comfort+ and change of operating carrier are both reasons for refund.
+1

You have the golden ticket. You originally booked a flight operated by Delta Air Lines, and now you have a ticket operated by one of Delta's regional partners - not Delta Air Lines. Just in case this is not clear, you are ENTITLED to a 100% full and complete refund to your original form of payment due to the operating carrier change. Because of this entitlement, Delta will generally rebook you onto ANY Delta flight that might fit your needs better - without regard to whatever today's price might be for those flights - at no cost to you whatsoever.

So, your choices are:

1) take the 100% refund, or

2) do a little research, and call Delta and propose an alternative. Delta will almost certainly book you any reasonable alternative flight that meets your needs.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:49 am

This weekend's schedule changes were brutal to me. Most I can work around, but I now have a serious dilemma. My original itinerary was AAA-BBB arriving at 5am (positioning flight) and then BBB-MSP-AMS-CCC departing at 2:40. My positioning flight had a schedule change last weekend that forced me to change to a AAA-ATL-BBB flight that arrives at 9:30am. This week's schedule change will cause me an illegal connection in MSP (38 min) and there is no earlier direct flight to MSP. I am in paid F/J. Here are my options - what would FT do?

1) Take a 2:30 flight through ATL in the middle of summer with 2 short connections. If I miss the connection in AMS, its 12 hours to the next flight.

2) Take the turnaround of the flight I arrive on. Lengthy layovers in ATL and AMS. It doesn't appear that I have a risk of my equip going to another city at the moment, but its separate tickets (all with DL) and schedule changes and delays - anything that can go wrong, will.

3) See if they would allow me to take the turnaround and add a segment ATL-MSP to connect to my original flight from MSP-AMS. Layovers are comfortable and this would maximize my options on the day of in case of weather or other snafus.

4) See if they would change my departure city from BBB to AAA and fly AAA-MSP-AMS-CCC. I don't mind eating the cost of the positioning flight if necessary (it was a very cheap miles ticket). Of note, my original plan with my positioning flight was that it was more than just a positioning flight. I have friends in BBB and I was going to have breakfast and hang out with them in the morning since I originally had 9+ hours in BBB. I will spend a few days with them anyway when I return from EU, before heading back to AAA.

I am leaning toward option 3 if possible as I like options and I don't mind picking up an extra 900 MQM's x 1.5.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Find a routing that works and ask for it. No issues on adding a segment or losing one if it helps.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No, you got it at the time because you were premium. The fact is the on DoD you don't qualify for the seat. The fact DL let's you keep it after dropping had to do with technology. In your case a plane change happened, not just a 2 minute schedule change as you allude is the issue. Thus you are no longer a premium passenger and don't qualify for that seating. The fact the supervisor agreed to it was a customer service gesture. They were in no way required to move you back or give you any premium seating.
As a matter of fact, I have not had status on DL since 2015/16. The Equip swap from 738 to 739 bumped me out, and NOW the seat is considered a Premium seat, but that was not known at first, just the time change. The reservation supervisor was very happy to put me back in the seat I had originally. So all is good unless they go and change it again....

Last edited by InsUW2; May 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
My early July ATL-LAX flight in J just got moved to a 15 min. later departure. Not only does this give me more time to make my cxn from YYZ, but it also moved the meal served from breakfast to lunch!
Old May 15, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
DL 2439 DAB-ATL in July was changed from a 757 to a 739.

Put it back.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Had a 5-hour schedule change on the last leg of an award ticket JNB-ATL-BMI in November. I guess they are doing massive timing changes for the ATL-BMI (Bloomington, IL) route. Called and politely asked for a cancellation and refund of taxes and redeposit of miles without fee. Agent (offshore call center) agreed to do this. She said miles would be redeposited within 24 hours, which they were. Good service.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; May 31, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.