Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Delta Comfort+ FAQs
Delta Comfort+ - A New Domestic Branded Fare Product

Summary (effective November 14, 2015, for travel on or after May 16, 2016, in the U.S.50 and Canada):

No selecting C+ seats at time of booking. Eligible pax must request a C+ upgrade by checking the box in the UPGRADE REQUEST section or calling Delta. If upgrade inventory is available, DM and PM may clear after booking. If upgrade inventory is not available, you will remain in your C- seat until such time that DL either releases inventory, or it goes to the airport for gate upgrade.

GM and FO window remains the same at T-72 and T-24 hrs respectively.

Upgrades may automatically place you in any C+ seat, including middle.

F and C+ are separate checkboxes, so you can request an F upgrade without requesting a C+ upgrade. "Double upgrades" from Y to C+ followed by C+ to F are possible.

In your My Delta Preferences page there is a new box where you can choose the default setting for 1st class upgrades and C+ upgrade preferences.

Pax with a companion will be ranked for a C+ upgrade according to the highest level... ie a DM + general member companion in the same PNR will clear after booking..

Maximum of 1 companion may request a C+ upgrade. Per DL FAQ: "If you have three or more passengers in your reservation, all passengers in the reservation must have Medallion status in order for any passengers to be eligible for Delta Comfort+."

Amex Companion Cert flyers are eligible for C+ upgrades.

To "downgrade" to C- seats (exit, other preferred seats) you must call Delta.

Complimentary upgrades to C+, once on board the aircraft, are not allowed regardless of status.

C+ currently not available with corporate discounts, because C+ currently uses ticket designator /WCOM and corporate discounts also use ticket designators. A fare code can only have one ticket designator. This limitation is apparently temporary.

So far Delta is saying this does not impact upgrades to F.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I have two separate flights on May 16, on two separate itineraries. As a PL, I was able to choose C+ seats shortly after booking months ago, by going through the new rigamarole... Today I was notified of upgrades to F on both itineraries, at the upgrade window. So for those who were wondering if a "double upgrade" can happen, yes, it can.
Print Wikipost

Delta Comfort for flights on/after May 16, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
PMs and DMs get C+ seats at time of booking IF there is UG space available in C+ -- just like when there's only complimentary UG inventory in RU/OU space. So, even if the entire C+ cabin is open, until there is WU space that opens up, you are still in Y-. The UG priority to WU will presumably also depend on status, fare, and even time of request. The more that I think about this, the more annoyed I get with what DL is doing...
I had understood that so far, the qualification that upgrade availability must be available only applied to domestic flights, with DM/PM still being able to pick C+ seats for themselves from the seat map if there are any such seats open (without inventory class restrictions). Is this incorrect?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Looks like the free C+ may be gone for solo international as well. I'm looking at fares for a July trip to LHR and an August trip to LHR and it's showing C+ will cost me more. If they are going to start charging for C+ on international to LHR and CDG I may as well take Virgin instead to LHR and Airfrance to CDG for a better product.
That's not what their FAQs say. This whole deal is awful, but hopefully what you're seeing is just a glitch in implementation.

As a Medallion member am I still eligible for Delta Comfort+ complimentary access on international segments?

Yes, if you are traveling on an international segment, excluding Canada, you will still receive complimentary Delta Comfort+ access. You will access Delta Comfort+ on these segments the same way you do today.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I had understood that so far, the qualification that upgrade availability must be available only applied to domestic flights, with DM/PM still being able to pick C+ seats for themselves from the seat map if there are any such seats open (without inventory class restrictions). Is this incorrect?
Apologies about that! I misread above. I've just been seeing red and haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
At least PM/DMs still get free EC on KLM -- though it doesn't say for flights from the US to Europe...

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...i_vid=49005276
That's precisely the (bad) news: Starting January 16th, instead of free EC it will only be a 50% discount.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
I just did a dummy booking to test this - tried to pick C+ seat before I actually paid for the flight and got this error: "You may only select seats that correspond with your selected fare."
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just did another booking... started the timer to see how long for the 'upgrade' to C+.

Note:
I still had to manually go in to manage upgrades and request an upgrade to C+. This only worked for outbound. Return gave an error again: We are unable to process your request at this time.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:00 pm

You are all focusing on the wrong things

I’ve been following this thread since its inception and all I can say is that you guys sound like a bunch of entitled brats.
Do you really believe that the purpose of C+ and F is to thank elites for their loyalty? If yes, than perhaps Delta is indeed not an airline for you. You might as well move to United where GS with economy ticket can flex their muscle and kick out non-elite member who paid for F from F; where elites who get free upgrade to F get their meal preference over the non-elite customers who actually paid for F. The caveat though that you will have fun participating in such FT threads as “Domestic flights cancelled this year” and “International flights cancelled this year”.

You are focusing on the wrong thing. While the latest changes are a definite de-evaluation of skymiles program, the changes affect everyone including those to whom you so affectionately refer as “kettles”. From what I understand, the new fare code would work like one of those GAP fares where people think they bought F, but in reality they bought Y with immediate upgrade to F. So, with the new C+ changes, when people will pay for C+, they will still be paying for C- with immediate upgrade to C+. In the event of IRROPs or equipment change, people will be delegated to C-. However, while in the past in similar situation you could at least call and receive the refund, with the announced changes you most likely will be SOL.
And most likely, those who have to book their corporate travel through Concur have to buy the lowest logical fare will not be able to buy up to W after the purchase (if they want to), just like they could not buy up to F in the past.

Another change is that now everyone on your PNR has to buy up/be upgraded to W, which was not true before the changes. Families/groups might want to stay on the same PNR, but do not necessarily feel like buying up C+ for every member of their group.

Why is no one talking about any of these issues?

If you want to be upset with Delta, why are not upset about it ballooning its medallion member size by allowing getting status with (virtually) no flying or obtaining MQD waiver via AMEX spent? Instead you are upset that Delta restricted access to seats that you don’t consider worth paying for and only want if they are free. The truth of the matter is that Delta does not prevent you from flying C+ (or F) if you so desire. If you really like that product then you should be willing to pay for it. And if you don’t, there are plenty of kettles, and apparently FOs and GMs, who want to feel a bit more comfortable during their travels and are willing to pay for the experience.

P.S. As a matter of full disclosure, I am a newly minted GM who achieved status with AMEX delta MQMs and actual flying (would have been FO without AMEX). I admit, I play the game like the rest of you and I take advantage of every benefit available to me, however limited. Like the rest of you I do not like the changes. However, unlike most of you, I have no plans to leave Delta. I am planning to take advantage of Delta’s best on time performance when I fly. I am looking forward to the days when you will make good on your promise to take your business elsewhere and I don’t have to board sky-priority with half of the plane or enjoy an occasional upgrade. Actually, scratch the last one. I am not holding my breath.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
my AS MVPG is looking better and better ... I think the debate is going to be "chase PM for one more year to take advantage of no-fee award redeposit (which may well be an endangered species)" vs "just firewall it toward AS 75K"

cancelling my DL AmEx would probably make my domestic CFO happier too
True Blue for me. Free WIFI. Delta doesn't even offer that to F/D1 pax.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
75 and 125K MQM's is a lot of flying. The two competitors only require 100K MQM's for top tier and the EP's at AA get treated a lot better than the DM's at Delta do even before this latest deval.
I hate to think of how much more Delta will deval this program.
Frankly, I think UA's Silver is about comparable to DL GM as of today. AA's 25K elite (confusingly Gold) is looking pretty good right now as well.

Of course AA has warned that 2016 changes are to be expected, and I'm sure UA is considering what it can cut. I think the upshot for me is no loyalty anywhere. Just like I do with hotels, where I am in multiple programs and accumulate points, 'cause why not, I don't give a dang about status with any of those chains. I care about location, price, and property reviews. Points for a possible free stay someday are a minor sideshow.

So it will be for me with FF programs going forward. All of them.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
That's precisely the (bad) news: Starting January 16th, instead of free EC it will only be a 50% discount.
Where do you see this for flights from US to Europe? I can't seem to find it. I know that GM will get a 50% discount -- this is a change from complimentary to 50% off starting Jan 13.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RaflW
Frankly, I think UA's Silver is about comparable to DL GM as of today. AA's 25K elite (confusingly Gold) is looking pretty good right now as well.

Of course AA has warned that 2016 changes are to be expected, and I'm sure UA is considering what it can cut. I think the upshot for me is no loyalty anywhere. Just like I do with hotels, where I am in multiple programs and accumulate points, 'cause why not, I don't give a dang about status with any of those chains. I care about location, price, and property reviews. Points for a possible free stay someday are a minor sideshow.

So it will be for me with FF programs going forward. All of them.
Doesn't UA give Silver's the ability to chose their version of EC+ seats at time of booking? One nice thing UA does for their 1k's who fly 125MQM's is to give them additional upgrade certificates for their loyalty.

Unfortunately using DTW as my home airport I'm stuck with Delta on a lot of my flights if I don't want to deal with a connection.

I think it's a race to the bottom between the airlines until another recession hits. Hopefully the people that were able to jump ship to AA or UA will remember this when they try to buy our business back. Too bad Washington didn't know what was happening when they go to them when the next recession hits with their hands out.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:13 pm
k2

People, how is any of this a surprise? The punch list of low hanging fruit that DL plans to monetize has been in front of you the whole time --> it's the Medallion benefits chart.

DL will leave *just* enough of the elite program in tact to keep status junkies interested, but they haven't hit bone yet.

Now, to the DL apologists having their schadenfreude moment - you're just as delusional to think any of this will turn into a "better product".
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
I’ve been following this thread since its inception and all I can say is that you guys sound like a bunch of entitled brats.
Do you really believe that the purpose of C+ and F is to thank elites for their loyalty? If yes, than perhaps Delta is indeed not an airline for you. You might as well move to United where GS with economy ticket can flex their muscle and kick out non-elite member who paid for F from F; where elites who get free upgrade to F get their meal preference over the non-elite customers who actually paid for F. The caveat though that you will have fun participating in such FT threads as “Domestic flights cancelled this year” and “International flights cancelled this year”.

You are focusing on the wrong thing. While the latest changes are a definite de-evaluation of skymiles program, the changes affect everyone including those to whom you so affectionately refer as “kettles”. From what I understand, the new fare code would work like one of those GAP fares where people think they bought F, but in reality they bought Y with immediate upgrade to F. So, with the new C+ changes, when people will pay for C+, they will still be paying for C- with immediate upgrade to C+. In the event of IRROPs or equipment change, people will be delegated to C-. However, while in the past in similar situation you could at least call and receive the refund, with the announced changes you most likely will be SOL.
And most likely, those who have to book their corporate travel through Concur have to buy the lowest logical fare will not be able to buy up to W after the purchase (if they want to), just like they could not buy up to F in the past.

Another change is that now everyone on your PNR has to buy up/be upgraded to W, which was not true before the changes. Families/groups might want to stay on the same PNR, but do not necessarily feel like buying up C+ for every member of their group.

Why is no one talking about any of these issues?

If you want to be upset with Delta, why are not upset about it ballooning its medallion member size by allowing getting status with (virtually) no flying or obtaining MQD waiver via AMEX spent? Instead you are upset that Delta restricted access to seats that you don’t consider worth paying for and only want if they are free. The truth of the matter is that Delta does not prevent you from flying C+ (or F) if you so desire. If you really like that product then you should be willing to pay for it. And if you don’t, there are plenty of kettles, and apparently FOs and GMs, who want to feel a bit more comfortable during their travels and are willing to pay for the experience.

P.S. As a matter of full disclosure, I am a newly minted GM who achieved status with AMEX delta MQMs and actual flying (would have been FO without AMEX). I admit, I play the game like the rest of you and I take advantage of every benefit available to me, however limited. Like the rest of you I do not like the changes. However, unlike most of you, I have no plans to leave Delta. I am planning to take advantage of Delta’s best on time performance when I fly. I am looking forward to the days when you will make good on your promise to take your business elsewhere and I don’t have to board sky-priority with half of the plane or enjoy an occasional upgrade. Actually, scratch the last one. I am not holding my breath.

Hey there "Diamondintherough" (though that remains to be determined). Read the thread. People (whom you generously refer to as "brats") have discussed, in great detail, all of the issues that you seem to think you are the first to discover.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The problem with this reasoning is that while kettles will pay more fees, elite demand is less price elastic in that elites often don't even consider the prices offered by the competition. As airlines and hotel chains eliminate elite benefits, they create a regime in which everyone just shops for the lowest total price. I don't think airlines and hotels really want this to happen as they benefit greatly when elites pay more to stick with the favored brand.
That used to be the case. If this latest betrayal by Delta sticks, this elite for one will stop caring about status which has been made essentially worthless. That might not cost Delta a lot of money, but it will certainly cost it some.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EVA777
I was just trying to understand how someone can blindly say real PE is 2x the cheapest coach fare based on 1 flight example.
I priced SAS p.e. for MSP-ARN this fall for my partner to meet me (ultimately he decided not to make the 4 day r/t), and it was about an 80% premium IIRC. We fly to ARN about every 12-18 months to see family, and effective this round of devals, I am planning now to try SAS p.e. next time.

I've been pretty happy with DL's A330 exit row, but can see that it will be quite endangered going forward. And KLM's AMS-ARN flight in a very tight 739 isn't anything great when bleary-eyed on the connection.

So for me, SAS via ORD in p.e. is looking attractive: MSP-ORD is 55 mins in the air, then you get to sleep pretty much ORD to 'seatbacks up' on approach to ARN. I can afford their P.E. fare, and will just toss the miles into the UA bucket for whatever that's worth (not a ton, but I'm not going to start a European FF membership).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.