Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks for the responses and especially the PM.

I should have mentioned that I will not have GUCs in place until the end of 2016 and would prefer to save those for a possible run to JNB and somewhere in Asia like MNL or HKG although SYD might come up as well.

I just returned from a DL W fare AF codeshare that cost $2K but only something like 35K SM for OKC-CPH-OKC in D1. So by comparison the SLC deal doesn't come out so well but at least it's a 763 and not a 764 or lower on my list.

Edited to say I bought the K fare upgraded with 120K SM so I have 24 hours but likely will hold on to this option.

Last edited by Xeno; Jul 8, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I am currently on a plane JFK-LAX.. K fare ticket and it cost 20K points to upgrade. Disappointed it wasn't 12,500. Looks like it went up after June.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by latony
I am currently on a plane JFK-LAX.. K fare ticket and it cost 20K points to upgrade. Disappointed it wasn't 12,500. Looks like it went up after June.
To answer the question in the other thread you started, you need T or higher now. Rates actually shot up massively (see the wiki which captured those increases, but which has not yet been updated to reflect them coming back down to earth a bit).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Tried searching this thread, but didn't find anything... has anyone successfully upgraded a flight on airfrance from Y to W using skymiles? Assuming a delta flightnumber on a 006 ticket? It can't be the same 60k miles, can it?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by latony
20K doesn't sound bad to me considering it is a Delta One route. It's also quite a bit less than originally listed in the chart above (35k miles).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:22 pm
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Do the SkyMiles Upgrade Awards require RP/OP inventory, just like RUCs? Or something else?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zld
Do the SkyMiles Upgrade Awards require RP/OP inventory, just like RUCs? Or something else?
Yes, RP/OP, just like certs.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i can confirm 30K pesos for an M ticket from US to EU.

upgraded an M class SFO-JFK-AGP this week for that price, cleared instantly.

a somewhat steep price considering the round trip ticket was nearly $3300 (short notice), but worth it for the full journey in a lie flat seat ahead of 3 very intense days of work.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:17 pm
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Has anyone successfully waitlisted for a Skymiles Upgrade Award when there isn't RP inventory? The terms (#8) say this is possible, but every agent I talk to says "oh you're on the upgrade list for your complimentary Medallion upgrade" and can't understand that I'm asking about waitlisting for RP, not RU.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Anyone know what the L/U/T price is for Domestic Premium after DL backed off 45k in May? If K dropped 15k to 20k, I'd guess L/U/T somewhere close to 30k. I know this is somewhat academic--getting a mileage upgrade award on these D1 routes is difficult.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:38 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by NYCNorm
Anyone know what the L/U/T price is for Domestic Premium after DL backed off 45k in May? If K dropped 15k to 20k, I'd guess L/U/T somewhere close to 30k. I know this is somewhat academic--getting a mileage upgrade award on these D1 routes is difficult.
I can't help on the amount but would note that getting the upgrade is actually probably easier than it once was. I know availability to confirm RUCs in advance on the premium transcons is much better these days than it was a few years ago, especially at off-peak times and around holidays, and I believe miles upgrades use the same availability bucket.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
I can't help on the amount but would note that getting the upgrade is actually probably easier than it once was.
Thanks for the update. My last experience trying to upgrade with a mileage award upgrade on these routes was in late 2015--I was never successful.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by NYCNorm
Thanks for the update. My last experience trying to upgrade with a mileage award upgrade on these routes was in late 2015--I was never successful.
They've definitely gotten looser with upgrade space since then. Good luck.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: DL GM through 1/2018, Hyatt Platinum through 1/2018
I'm trying to figure out what the Upgrade with Miles rates are for SFO-JFK since what is pinned to this thread doesn't seem to be right. I recently was successful at upgrading with miles on 2 SFO-JFK routes:

1. In December, on an H fare - upgrade cost me 20,000 miles from JFK-SFO
2. Last week in January, on a W fare (i bought W directly, but I believe U was the underlying fare) - cost me 30,000 miles from SFO-JFK.

I'm going from SFO-JFK on 1/22 on an L fare. I'm wondering how much would that be. Guessing 25k miles? maybe 30k?

Anyone know the new rates?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They're in groups now. Ie YBM cost the same to upgrade regardless of which one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.