Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

Just load pre-boards after F and before kettles.... This policy is so abused.
They should do what AA does. All pre-boards are pre-arranged and must see the GA before boarding. Because they are doing it in advance the AA GA's have a good look at what the issue is that requires pre boarding and they will flat out say no to the obvious gamers. Then, they board the pre-boards WITHOUT and announcement so there is no rush of un-approved pre boarders. The next group is FC only. Then Explat/Plat/etc. Works like a charm.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by avidflyer
They should do what AA does. All pre-boards are pre-arranged and must see the GA before boarding. Because they are doing it in advance the AA GA's have a good look at what the issue is that requires pre boarding and they will flat out say no to the obvious gamers. Then, they board the pre-boards WITHOUT and announcement so there is no rush of un-approved pre boarders. The next group is FC only. Then Explat/Plat/etc. Works like a charm.
That would not have solved these issues, though I agree it is better than the DL process. ...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
That would not have solved these issues, though I agree it is better than the DL process. ...
The pre-boarding group has never been an issue for me. In my opinion, the main culprits are SKY boarding with PREM and Zone 1 boarding with SKY (either willfully or out of ignorance).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:47 pm

Delta's Boarding Procedures

I recently spent some SkyMiles and have an upcoming First Class flight from LAX-JFK and back. I have no status with Delta. Can someone let me know of Delta's boarding order please? Just wondering about when First Class gets to board in relation to Status members, families with kids, elderly, etc. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I recently spent some SkyMiles and have an upcoming First Class flight from LAX-JFK and back. I have no status with Delta. Can someone let me know of Delta's boarding order please? Just wondering about when First Class gets to board in relation to Status members, families with kids, elderly, etc. Thanks.
First is those who need extra assistance, 2nd is traveling with children under 2 and 3rd is first/delta one and diamond medallion members.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Delta's Boarding Procedures

They will board those needing extra time to board (elderly, disabled etc) first, then families with small children. Those are considered pre-boards.

Then they will start boarding with the first class cabin and Diamond medallions. (As others will likely note "first" will generally be referred to as DeltaOne or Business Elite). Your boarding pass will say "Prem" and you will board first - after the pre-boards.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
They will board those needing extra time to board (elderly, disabled etc) first, then families with small children. Those are considered pre-boards.
Originally Posted by clinspec
First is those who need extra assistance, 2nd is traveling with children under 2 ...
Pre-boards for those with children are now typically limited to those with car seats only. No car seat, no pre boarding.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Hi! Here's the official thread with all this info! PLEASE follow up on that thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...g-process.html
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Pre-boards for those with children are now typically limited to those with car seats only. No car seat, no pre boarding.
Strollers, too.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Delta will pre-board those needing extra time or assistance, and usually families with children under 2.

Next will be Premium boarding, which will consist of those in the First or Business Class cabin along with Diamond Medallions.

Everybody else comes later. The SkyPriority lane can be used to board even if you missed your boarding call. You might have to wait behind a bunch of Medallions if you board when Zone Sky or Zone 1 are being called, but if you get there while they're boarding Zone 3 it will be much faster than waiting in general boarding.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I recently spent some SkyMiles and have an upcoming First Class flight from LAX-JFK and back.
Would you kindly consider telling us how many valuable SkyMiles you had to part with for this itinerary?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by javabytes
but if you get there while they're boarding Zone 3 it will be much faster than waiting in general boarding.
Until you get to the jetway...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
DL's boarding procedures

A number of prior posts explain how DL's system should work. How it actually works when you board will remain a mystery until your flight boards. Our last flight from Seattle, lead off with a family of 11 boarding with a woman in wheel chair who walked stridently down the passageway. Then came a family of five, the youngest child being about eight. Another family with no child in a stroller followed. Then, when FC was announced the three preceding my wife and I continued back into coach. Holding a FC seat should get you on board in the first 20-25 with a slim chance for a PFB. Good luck.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Would you kindly consider telling us how many valuable SkyMiles you had to part with for this itinerary?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
Dave, it was 120K or 125K I believe. Yeah, I know it's not a bargain, but I rarely travel Delta and the miles were expiring. As posted on many other forums, Delta Sky Pesos don't get you as much value as the other airlines. 100K gets me business class to Europe on other carriers, while it only takes me to New York on Delta. Oh well!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:52 am

Thanks to everyone for the explanations. Recently flew American with Priority Boarding, which was like the 7th group called after, Extra-Timers, Strollers, Military, Ruby, Emerald, etc etc.
Priority Schmority!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.