Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
The biggest thing I am seeing in recent days is those with SKY boarding with the PREM group. Part of the confusion I think is the gate agent will announce it as "now boarding our premium passengers/cabin" without further explanation, and someone who is a Plat or GM or bought economy comfort thinks it applies to them. Obviously they should know better, but some don't.

I wish they would just say, we are boarding first class and diamond medallions. Some agents do, but many don't.

I got a rare FO upgrade the other day, but still had a bunch of SKYs (I assume economy comfort passengers) jump in front of me when they called for boarding PREM
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Deleted. I give up.

Last edited by flyerUSA; Jul 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by marcworld
I like the boarding process, mostly. Here's the problems, as I see them:

* People with "zone 1" and "zone 2" on their passes are also the least experienced travelers, so they may not understand those are actually the third and fourth groups to board (not counting the "special needs" round.)

* Certain people with "zone 1" and "zone 2" know EXACTLY what they are doing when they rush the line and play stupid at the barcode scanner. Often I see DL employees tell these people to F off. (Yay!) They should do it even more often and even more nastily. Don't play that game, crazy lady who yelled at me for cutting in line with a Zone 2 pass when mine says PREM! As if!

If they changed PREM to 1, SKY to 2, 1 to 3, and 2 to 4...that might be clearer. But you lose out on the special branding, which is probably nonsense but brand people care about branding a LOT.

Also the "need extra time" group is abusive too. But I don't see any tactful way to deal with it, so it is what it is.

No there is nothing wrong with letting Diamonds board first. It's all about overhead space. It means that earlybird Diamonds get top priority on overhead bins no matter where you sit in the plane. That's a benefit of medallion status. It really doesn't matter much to a first class passenger when some Coach Diamonds are boarding at the same time, imho.
DL could cut down on the families with kids needing extra time scam by only allowing pre-boarding if there's a car seat to be installed in a seat on the plane, meaning not only a visible car seat being carried on board but also that it is not the case that a seat has not been purchased for the lap kid, so that the car seat will probably be stored rather than used on board.

Once I saw a guy who looked like a forty year old accountant count as a child who had to board with his mother (an able bodied woman who looked about 60), although on board the guy was in FC and the mother who couldn't be separated from her "baby" was back in coach.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:36 pm

Really?

First, a flight with 50 diamonds in coach is rare. There are flights with lots of diamonds, but 50 is a huge number.
Obviously I was using "50" as a mere example, but that's beside the point.

Second, Diamonds are the most frequent of travelers, they know what they are doing, they aren't clogging up the jetway with stupid concerns, and they go straight past first class to the back of the plane where they stop to arrange their things. How on earth does this legitimately bother you?
Did you actually read and comprehend what I wrote on the same page because if your going to quote, put it all in context.

Yes you would think being "Diamond" they should know the correct way to follow a line down the jetway. I stated in my case, the Diamond medallion member could not be bothered walking leisurely down the jetway and almost threw over a family member in his attempt to get pass by striking her walking cane.

Is the benefit of First Class really the ability to not have any people near you at all? If that's the case, why do you board first? Why not just wait until the dead last minute and stroll onto the plane just before they close the door and without anyone at all in your way?
Utter nonsense, where did I say that. The benefit is ultimately comfort and space. I have boarded with economy before. There was no problem because the line stretched back straight through the jetway, so no rush. However it's simply easier to get them settled and out the way as fast as possible. Especially when I'm toting a POC with 5 spare batteries. I don't have time to be holding heavy things forever as stated before a few persons in my party are slightly handicapped in some way.

Lastly, you say "paying customers" as if Diamonds are freeloaders. Diamonds are indeed paying customers, and if they were MY customers, I would value a Diamond (long term, steady spender) above a one-time big spending fluke customer (let's say, the non-elite, First-class ticket purchaser), any day.
Your really reaching for the stars on this one. I obviously meant whoever paid/was upgraded into FC. Putting my words and regurgitating them into your own theories aren't the same thing. If the FC seats 16, then only 16 persons should be boarding for that minute.

Glad their not your customers then. I guess Delta feels the same way based on their Skymiles changes. Loyalty accounts for something, but it's a two way street. Any company would be asinine to overlook persons who spend for their actual product and not depend on a upgrade to get it. You take care of both customer bases and Medallions already get perks. A customer is a fluke if they are non-elite and decides to pay what Delta wants for FC? Lmfao. Bye Felicia.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Really?

First, a flight with 50 diamonds in coach is rare. There are flights with lots of diamonds, but 50 is a huge number.

Second, Diamonds are the most frequent of travelers, they know what they are doing, they aren't clogging up the jetway with stupid concerns, and they go straight past first class to the back of the plane where they stop to arrange their things. How on earth does this legitimately bother you?

Is the benefit of First Class really the ability to not have any people near you at all? If that's the case, why do you board first? Why not just wait until the dead last minute and stroll onto the plane just before they close the door and without anyone at all in your way?

Lastly, you say "paying customers" as if Diamonds are freeloaders. Diamonds are indeed paying customers, and if they were MY customers, I would value a Diamond (long term, steady spender) above a one-time big spending fluke customer (let's say, the non-elite, First-class ticket purchaser), any day.
FCM means that most of the people sitting in "paid" FC are not big spenders at all.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:38 pm

Really?

I absolutely agree with you Marc, but you must have missed Yellowjj'a follow-up post. I understand his frustration, although I think it's misplaced. No one should feel ashamed to pre-board if they or someone in their group truly needs extra time boarding.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Bye Felicia.
if your going to quote, put it all in context.
I'm not sure what the context is, and you're right, I'm surely misunderstanding you, because I'm not sure if you meant to say "your" or "you're", and far be it from me to presume to understand what someone who says "Bye Felicia" intends to say about ANYTHING.

But from your crotchety rant I can tell that you are precisely the person I don't ever want to be near, on any plane, no matter what cabin we each sit in.

By the way, since you are identifying yourself as somebody who needs "a little extra time boarding" - that gets on you before ANYONE else, including First Class and Diamonds, so what the hay are you complaining about?

In summary: Yeesh, get a grip.

Also in summary: The policy exists because of my reasoning. And the policy you wish for doesn't exist, because well...it's a dumb idea.

See? I can be just as infantile and ridiculous on a silly meaningless forum as anyone. Or in words you can understand, Bye Felicia!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac
I absolutely agree with you Marc, but you must have missed Yellowjj'a follow-up post. I understand his frustration, although I think it's misplaced. No one should feel ashamed to pre-board if they or someone in their group truly needs extra time boarding.
Yes clearly I did miss an earlier post, and I don't mean to slander everyone in the pre-boarding group. For the record, some people truly need the lead time. Of course. I would never disparage a person with a handicap.

I just meant, the pre-boarding announcement is abused by some people. Not everyone who goes up really needs to. And I fully acknowledge that you should never ask somebody to prove why they need extra time. So it is what it is.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:24 pm

I realize we could have pre-boarded, but it was never a problem with just FC boarding and me holding tickets for almost 50% of the cabin. You might get funny looks when people see only one person with a cane yet a group of 7-8 in line as preboards. It looks however that I'll have to start using it.
I just found your earlier post. Well, you are complaining about a boarding group that goes AFTER the group YOU need to be in, and you are complaining this group is too large because you missed your opportunity to precede all of them.

Do you realize how cantankerous that makes you sound?

And just as a reminder, I'm not snapping at you because your travel group needs time, I'm snapping because you are so completely unreasonable. The world doesn't revolve around you. If you need to preboard, get there early and preboard. Don't wait until First Class and then complain because First Class is a larger group than it used to be.

Yeesh.

Also - I might add, it doesn't sound like everyone in your group really needs the extra time. If one person in a family of four needs time, sure, everyone go board together. If you are a very large travel group though -- "50% of the cabin" in your words, boarding the entire group together with just a couple of "extra timers" is indeed over the top, IMHO.

And one more thing - your beef about First Class paying customers being cheated out of some kind of value - is SO DISINGENUOUS because in your scenario, you aren't even such a customer! You are in coach! You're just mad there are more "first class" boarders than there used to be! You are pretending to be mad on behalf of a class of people that you're not in, for your own ulterior motive, which is to have things both ways - that is, show up to the gate LATE and STILL get ahead of everyone else. The world doesn't work that way. Even as a Diamond, or as a First Class pax, or both, when I show up to the gate late, I get stuck in that jetway full of people, like it or not. If I want to get ahead of them, I have to be there on time. If not, it's my fault.

Last edited by flyerUSA; Jul 9, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:42 pm

I'm not sure what the context is, and you're right, I'm surely misunderstanding you, because I'm not sure if you meant to say "your" or "you're", and far be it from me to presume to understand what someone who says "Bye Felicia" intends to say about ANYTHING.

But from your crotchety rant I can tell that you are precisely the person I don't ever want to be near, on any plane, no matter what cabin we each sit in.

By the way, since you are identifying yourself as somebody who needs "a little extra time boarding" - that gets on you before ANYONE else, including First Class and Diamonds, so what the hay are you complaining about?

In summary: Yeesh, get a grip.

Also in summary: The policy exists because of my reasoning. And the policy you wish for doesn't exist, because well...it's a dumb idea.

See? I can be just as infantile and ridiculous on a silly meaningless forum as anyone. Or in words you can understand, Bye Felicia!
A typo..really? Excuse my dumb self for missing that.
Crotchety? Put down the Werther's. How did sitting next to you even get in this conversation. Get a grip. Judging from you, no one would want to.

As for "Felicia" It basically means your not making sense, in anything. A non-status person is a fluke because they decided to pay for something. Have several seats.

I didn't say I needed extra time, I said i traveled with people who did and who don't look like they need it because only one has a walking assisted device. Thus with FC it was far simpler with only a few people boarding at that given time.

I just found your earlier post. Well, you are complaining about a boarding group that goes AFTER the group YOU need to be in, and you are complaining this group is too large because you missed your opportunity to precede all of them.

Do you realize how cantankerous that makes you sound?

And just as a reminder, I'm not snapping at you because your travel group needs time, I'm snapping because you are so completely unreasonable. The world doesn't revolve around you. If you need to preboard, get there early and preboard. Don't wait until First Class and then complain because First Class is a larger group than it used to be.

Yeesh.
Once again you have no clue what your talking about. You don't dictate anybody needs except your own. I chose to board with Premium as it is/was far easier with just keeping everybody together. Your the same person who when you see a group of 8 persons get up to pre-board that look healthy, complain about abuse. Stop being a hypocrite.

Last edited by Yellowjj; Jul 9, 2015 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:46 pm

I chose to board with Premium
Yes, you made a choice to board later than you are allowed to, and then complained when that later group has too many people, even though there is an earlier group which you can still board with.

I would love to have been in the jetway to see you "get vocal" with the rest of the pax. Good lord.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:47 pm

Also - I might add, it doesn't sound like everyone in your group really needs the extra time. If one person in a family of four needs time, sure, everyone go board together. If you are a very large travel group though -- "50% of the cabin" in your words, boarding the entire group together with just a couple of "extra timers" is indeed over the top, IMHO.
Hence why I don't use pre-boarding.

And one more thing - your beef about First Class paying customers being cheated out of some kind of value - is SO DISINGENUOUS because in your scenario, you aren't even such a customer! You are in coach! You're just mad there are more "first class" boarders than there used to be! You are pretending to be mad on behalf of a class of people that you're not in, for your own ulterior motive, which is to have things both ways - that is, show up to the gate LATE and STILL get ahead of everyone else. The world doesn't work that way. Even as a Diamond, or as a First Class pax, or both, when I show up to the gate late, I get stuck in that jetway full of people, like it or not. If I want to get ahead of them, I have to be there on time. If not, it's my fault.
Lmao, wth are you talking about. How am I in coach if I stated I purchase FC seats. 8 seats purchased in a 16F cabin is 50% of the cabin. Is that not half? Did you pass basic maths? You know what, hop off my quote button for the night because I can clearly see when common sense was dishing out, you were nowhere to be found.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
The biggest thing I am seeing in recent days is those with SKY boarding with the PREM group. Part of the confusion I think is the gate agent will announce it as "now boarding our premium passengers/cabin" without further explanation, and someone who is a Plat or GM or bought economy comfort thinks it applies to them. Obviously they should know better, but some don't.

I wish they would just say, we are boarding first class and diamond medallions. Some agents do, but many don't.
I've also heard them say "We are boarding people with 'PREM' on their boarding passes."
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:56 pm

Why don't the airlines use the large screen at the gates to announce the boarding calls? The first row on the screen would light up with "Preboarding for special needs" and when that is done, the second row would light up with the second category, and so on down the line. That way, people could look at the screen, readily see where they are in the hierarchy, and when their row lights up, make their way to the ticket scanner.

This would be most helpful for infrequent flyers on a given airline -- for example, I seldom fly Delta, and when I get a boarding pass, as for my flight tomorrow, I have no idea what rank the category on the pass represents. Also would be good in noisy gate situations, and for foreigners who have a hard time understanding spoken English on a loudspeaker, but can read it more readily.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Why don't the airlines use the large screen at the gates to announce the boarding calls? The first row on the screen would light up with "Preboarding for special needs" and when that is done, the second row would light up with the second category, and so on down the line. That way, people could look at the screen, readily see where they are in the hierarchy, and when their row lights up, make their way to the ticket scanner.

This would be most helpful for infrequent flyers on a given airline -- for example, I seldom fly Delta, and when I get a boarding pass, as for my flight tomorrow, I have no idea what rank the category on the pass represents. Also would be good in noisy gate situations, and for foreigners who have a hard time understanding spoken English on a loudspeaker, but can read it more readily.
Shoot, that would also be handy for me when I'm running through ATL or MSP after a late arrival. There's nothing like running a mile across an airport (not literally, but it feels close to a miles sometimes) only to see a swarm of passengers for a 757 spilling out into the middle of the concourse. And airports like this where 30-40% of the plane are going to be in F or have SKY (and now with the inclusion of C+, it's probably more like 50%), it's not easy to figure out which zone has been called; if you have PREM, you have to fight through the mob, and if you have SKY, it's a bum rush to the podium once it's called. So I think the screens would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.