Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
I might get some heat from this, but why a WN/UA way. They line up by Zone, but then the GA closes off the head of the line until the previous zone has finished. Also, there should be a GA standing and the entrance to the Gate Area to direct PAX. to their appropriate marker.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
When I flew UA a couple months ago, that was the only good thing they had going for them. The rest of the flight was misery.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
If anyone ever needs a convincing argument for human cloning, it would be to clone the occasional GAs that are reported in these forums, the ones that adamantly marshal boarding, so they can be sent to each gate in America, and eventually the world. Then this nonsense would finally be eradicated.
The GAs are mopping up the mess that Delta marketing created.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by marcworld
on long trips, when i've checked my bag - the best time to board the plane is dead last when the gate is about to close. i will get there as they are making an announcement for my name. almost like i require a special invitation. by that time, everyone is on board, mostly seated, not being annoying, i get to sit right down and skip all of the stupid fussing and commotion and made-up special needs and bin fighting and all of it.
I generally check my rollaboard on the way home, as I have finished wearing my business attire and it is not a great problem if the bag doesn't arrive when I do because I'll be reunited with it at some point. You are absolutely correct about being the last to board when all you have is a small bag or backpack. Delta's GAs have actually been quite good at getting everyone on board by T -15 to T -20, and the FAs are generally proactive in helping people get squared away once they reach their rows in Y (I've been as far back as 37D on an MD-88, so I've noticed these things more than usual this year). The fighting and pushing for bin space has ended, and things are more relaxed once you reach the flight.

I've noticed lately in F that, unless you are on a 757, PDBs don't start until after most if not all of Y has boarded.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Sabai
Maybe DL should move its headquarters to the DR Congo. It's been a while since they've had a turbulent coup d'état. Maybe they could oust the current management?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by Sabai
Agreed. I actually feel for the passengers who rarely fly and think, "wow we are in boarding zone 1." Then the slow realization that zone one means pretty much nothing. They got in after people traveling with children in car seats, people who need extra time, first class, diamonds, sky priority, and finally... zone one....Then followed by zone 2 to three. Their zone 1 is starting to sound like zone 6.

I bet they are starting to wonder about those fees they pay to keep that credit card...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I don't see why anyone can complain when DMs board with F (note: I won't be a DM after 1/31/16; I just can't get 63k more MQMs in the next 5 months).

As a DM, I know exactly where I'm going on a plane, how to put a rollaboard in the overhead to maximize the remaining space for others, and how to get seated and out of the way quickly. I'm certain that at least 99% of all DMs are like this.

Also, I would rather sit in an exit row than in C+ on a crowded flight. Flying out of DCA, I get a lot of MD-90s. The absolute best seats in coach are on that kind of airplane: Seat 25B (the single seat on the left); and seats 26A and 26E (the seats with no seats in front. If I can't work out a C+ seat with the middle seat empty (such as row 12), I try to score an exit row seat.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
There's probably a lot of diamonds that are sitting in back who booked last minute tickets that paid more for their last minute coach ticket than people sitting up front. Most B, M and Y fares are more expensive than an A or P fare.

You could say that about any group. When I have been silver/gold/and platinum depending on the year and have many times paid outrageous prices for tickets..some times purchased as little as 1 hour before takeoff.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:07 am

Out of BOS. DL FA has a good record of making people stand at the door while they serve PDBs!! If im in F, I can't comlain but if I'm in Y....
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Out of BOS. DL FA has a good record of making people stand at the door while they serve PDBs!! If im in F, I can't comlain but if I'm in Y....

Why would people in Y complain? I had this happen recently and was very pleased at the effort made to serve us. I wondered about the FA doing this, but I noted that boarding and sitting were slow as usual so that by the time the passengers could pass through F, they quickly caught up to the end of the line.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Why would people in Y complain? I had this happen recently and was very pleased at the effort made to serve us. I wondered about the FA doing this, but I noted that boarding and sitting were slow as usual so that by the time the passengers could pass through F, they quickly caught up to the end of the line.
She made Y wait 5-10mins in 40 degree jetway.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM

This video accurately depects the typical boarding process at delta if you make 2 small changes:

1) Exchange Row numbers for zones "PREM, SKY, 1, or 2"

2) Instead of the gate agent turning the pax around for boarding out of zone, just let them board anyway
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by marcworld
She just barges right up front. Her husband stays back like a normal human being. She turns around all mad, hurry up come up!!!! He says well I'm waiting for them to call us. She says, "it says Sky Priority right here!!!! Let's go!!!!".
Therein lies the root issue. People are lazy, don't pay attention, and only give a crap about themselves. Could boarding procedures be improved? Absolutely. But, aside from forcing passengers to line up in cattle corrals based off of their zones upon arrival to the gate, there will always be gate lice.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Therein lies the root issue. People are lazy, don't pay attention, and only give a crap about themselves. Could boarding procedures be improved? Absolutely. But, aside from forcing passengers to line up in cattle corrals based off of their zones upon arrival to the gate, there will always be gate lice.
Yep, basically.

I agree - there is no boarding process that can neutralize awful self-absorbed ignorant people.

This particular woman didn't even have a large carry-on. She had no rational motivation to run up there. Some people seem to have some kind of weird weird neuroses about flying. It's like a weird blend of anxiousness and worry with a mix of self-indulgent imaginary special needs. Like, if I don't get to follow this exact ritual - the world will end!

All I ask of Delta is to keep them all away from me, as much as possible. Generally, they are doing a fine job of that.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am finished having sympathy for pre-boards. ..

U used to the miracle flights to FL, but today did it for me. Older man with cane and Huge Photo tube boards with pre-boards LAS-MSP. Fine. The tube apparently made it to the closet and did not take up the 2 bins that I expected.

Upon landing, man jumps up, demands the FA get his cane, while people are in the aisle exiting door 2L, which she does go through the crowd ... She could have simply waited for FC to clear out and then get it... IF you pre board cause you need extra time, you should wait to deplane for the same reason.

Oh and on MSP-MCO, the pre board person was a guy carrying a set of crutches, not using, but carrying.....

Just load pre-boards after F and before kettles.... This policy is so abused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.