Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I have to agree with @JeffCO and @Widgets here.

The root cause of the boarding pandemonium is jockeying for overhead bin space. To help alivieate this issue, I offer the following possible solutions:

1. Charge non-status passengers for carry-on bags that can't fit under the seat in front of them

2. Don't charge to check bags

3. Enforce reserved overhead bins for PREM/C+

4. Valet bag service for PREM and C+
1) I see it as wrong to charge for carry-on bags that I have to put into the bin myself.
2) Checked baggage takes labor to move it from the counter to the plane and from one plane to another plane and then to the baggage belt. You get something for your baggage fee.
3) This would be nice, but difficult to enforce.
4) If I had something expensive in my carry on, I'm not so sure I would want to leave it where I'm not for any period of time.

It's great when I was able to travel and only carry a small backpack so I could be the last to board and still have a place for my stuff. The only reasons to board early are to secure overhead bin space and to drink a PDB.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
1) I see it as wrong to charge for carry-on bags that I have to put into the bin myself.
2) Checked baggage takes labor to move it from the counter to the plane and from one plane to another plane and then to the baggage belt. You get something for your baggage fee.
3) This would be nice, but difficult to enforce.
4) If I had something expensive in my carry on, I'm not so sure I would want to leave it where I'm not for any period of time.

It's great when I was able to travel and only carry a small backpack so I could be the last to board and still have a place for my stuff. The only reasons to board early are to secure overhead bin space and to drink a PDB.
I'm mostly with you on all of that. My main point is that overhead bin space is the real issue at hand, and aside from increasing overhead bin space, there are only so many options to better manage the space that is available.

Regarding it being wrong to charge for overhead bin space... I don't quite see eye to eye with you on this. Because overhead bin space is scarce, I feel the airline has the right to regulate it (e.g. charge for its use). However, I agree that this would be difficult to execute and optically wouldn't look great.

As an aside, charging for overhead bin space would probably not be profitable. It would incentivize pax to check bags which would a) increase weight and therefore fuel costs as packing restrictions/habits are loosened, and b) displace valuable cargo.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Monday AM....ATL -> SEA

105 names on the upgrade list - for 5 seats

Anyone want to guess how that boarding process went through PREM & SKY?!?!

Not. Good.

I still contend that adding DM's to PREM devalues first, especially for paying passengers. I also think a lot, but certainly not all, of the PDB failures have to do with the fact that now instead of 12 - 20 people getting on during first boarding its 40 - 60 and there's no break, by the time all those people clear the jetway, they've already started filling it with SKY and 1. When I've seen them do it lately their fighting the crowd and trying to swim upstream to go fix the beverage then fighting the crowd to get back. I actually feel kinda sorry for them. I know many disagree, especially the DM's who feel that they are benefiting from the change.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:54 pm

People are generally willing to follow the rules and behave in a civilized manner if:
They can trust that the rules will be enforced, and
The rules are clear.
Neither of these conditions are met and this is primarily due to a failure or inability of the airlines to maintain order.
It used to be that our society as a whole had an ethos that did not require such reinforcement but alas, those days are gone. It seems to still apply in Australia (in the airport) but few other places I have been.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RVBOOS
What I also wanted to mention was the clogging of the queue by the "Zone 1" passengers that are led to believe (or just don't read the fine print) that they are the 1st to get on the plane. I see so many of them lined up, AMEX card clutched tightly to their boarding pass very happy to use this "perk".
I've recently heard GAs specify very carefully "If your boarding pass says 'PREM' you may board now." . . . "If your boarding pass says 'SKY' you may board now."
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Regarding it being wrong to charge for overhead bin space... I don't quite see eye to eye with you on this. Because overhead bin space is scarce, I feel the airline has the right to regulate it (e.g. charge for its use). However, I agree that this would be difficult to execute and optically wouldn't look great.

As an aside, charging for overhead bin space would probably not be profitable. It would incentivize pax to check bags which would a) increase weight and therefore fuel costs as packing restrictions/habits are loosened, and b) displace valuable cargo.
Well, regardless of whether it's couth to charge for carryons or not, look at some of those LCCs... Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant (certain fares on Frontier wave the bag fees). And just FWIW, yes DL isn't going to be charging those, but let's just keep in mind that hypothetical change proposal was for non-status passengers, which would literally not affect any of us.

Originally Posted by flyerslc
People are generally willing to follow the rules and behave in a civilized manner if:
They can trust that the rules will be enforced, and
The rules are clear.
Neither of these conditions are met and this is primarily due to a failure or inability of the airlines to maintain order.
It used to be that our society as a whole had an ethos that did not require such reinforcement but alas, those days are gone. It seems to still apply in Australia (in the airport) but few other places I have been.
Exactly. Over the past half a decade, I've done my best to retain my dignity and act like a civilized human. But I've found myself more and more resorting to gate lice behavior, cramming and forcing through crowds, and frequently having to ask what boarding group is currently being called. Yesterday I read in one of the FCM threads about someone who took a flight on Spirit, and even though they have their very strict baggage guidelines, the poster saw many people strolling onboard with all manner of bags that did not meet the guidelines. So if a strict penny-pinching money-grabbing airline can't even be bothered to enforce all the rules, how can we expect DL to do it? I hate doing it, but I'm starting to become "that guy," especially when I'm traveling with my family. They're very infrequent travelers, and I always find myself observing GA and other staff behavior to determine when a plane is almost ready to board, so they can unplug their chargers, pack up their carryon, and be ready to rush the podium.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:11 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by JeffCO
the Gold Pressed Latinum group....
This group should shave their heads and wear big ears to show off their status.^
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by JeffCO
...who themselves are lower than the Gold Pressed Latinum group....
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
This group should shave their heads and wear big ears to show off their status.^
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
I like the boarding process, mostly. Here's the problems, as I see them:

* People with "zone 1" and "zone 2" on their passes are also the least experienced travelers, so they may not understand those are actually the third and fourth groups to board (not counting the "special needs" round.)

* Certain people with "zone 1" and "zone 2" know EXACTLY what they are doing when they rush the line and play stupid at the barcode scanner. Often I see DL employees tell these people to F off. (Yay!) They should do it even more often and even more nastily. Don't play that game, crazy lady who yelled at me for cutting in line with a Zone 2 pass when mine says PREM! As if!

If they changed PREM to 1, SKY to 2, 1 to 3, and 2 to 4...that might be clearer. But you lose out on the special branding, which is probably nonsense but brand people care about branding a LOT.

Also the "need extra time" group is abusive too. But I don't see any tactful way to deal with it, so it is what it is.

No there is nothing wrong with letting Diamonds board first. It's all about overhead space. It means that earlybird Diamonds get top priority on overhead bins no matter where you sit in the plane. That's a benefit of medallion status. It really doesn't matter much to a first class passenger when some Coach Diamonds are boarding at the same time, imho.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by marcworld
I like the boarding process, mostly. Here's the problems, as I see them:

* People with "zone 1" and "zone 2" on their passes are also the least experienced travelers, so they may not understand those are actually the third and fourth groups to board (not counting the "special needs" round.)

* Certain people with "zone 1" and "zone 2" know EXACTLY what they are doing when they rush the line and play stupid at the barcode scanner. Often I see DL employees tell these people to F off. (Yay!) They should do it even more often and even more nastily. Don't play that game, crazy lady who yelled at me for cutting in line with a Zone 2 pass when mine says PREM! As if!

If they changed PREM to 1, SKY to 2, 1 to 3, and 2 to 4...that might be clearer. But you lose out on the special branding, which is probably nonsense but brand people care about branding a LOT.

Also the "need extra time" group is abusive too. But I don't see any tactful way to deal with it, so it is what it is.

No there is nothing wrong with letting Diamonds board first. It's all about overhead space. It means that earlybird Diamonds get top priority on overhead bins no matter where you sit in the plane. That's a benefit of medallion status. It really doesn't matter much to a first class passenger when some Coach Diamonds are boarding at the same time, imho.
I'd add that another key problem is travelers (even experienced travelers) not hearing the boarding announcements. Even as a PM, I often find myself questioning what zone is being boarded, especially if I have headphones in or show up to the gate late. They already do this at some gates in Atlanta, but I think they need better signage that clearly shows what zone is currently being boarded at EVERY gate.

GAs could also make it very clear that PREM and SKY are actually pre-boarding to avoid confusion with regular/zone boarding.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by N615HL

I still contend that adding DM's to PREM devalues first, especially for paying passengers.
I agree.

Originally Posted by marcworld

It matter's when there are 50+ Diamonds who didn't get upgraded. Creates a crowded environment that paying customers in first shouldn't be experiencing at all. Create a additional zone for them if anything.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I agree.

It matter's when there are 50+ Diamonds who didn't get upgraded. Creates a crowded environment that paying customers in first shouldn't be experiencing at all. Create a additional zone for them if anything.
Yay, even more zones! I can't wait...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I agree.

I'm sorry, but I really don't buy this argument. Flights that have "50+ Diamonds" are almost exclusively business routes (e.g. Monday morning / Thursday night). A large share of the F seats on these routes are cleared as upgrades since most corporate policies prohibit purchasing F. Plus, I've never noticed an excessively large number of people boarding with PREM on the routes I fly.

Regardless, suppose there are a lot of DMs in Y boarding with F. Why should any of the F pax care? There's plenty of overhead bin space in F and its not like any of the DMs flying in Y use it.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
There used to be 9 zones for PMDL. IIRC, Zone 1 was first class, Zones 2 and 3 were medallions based on where their seat was, Zone 4 was partner elites, and Zones 5 - 9 were general boarding from back to front.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Makes no difference in the current setup.

I'm sorry, but I really don't buy this argument. Flights that have "50+ Diamonds" are almost exclusively business routes (e.g. Monday morning / Thursday night). A large share of the F seats on these routes are cleared as upgrades since most corporate policies prohibit purchasing F. Plus, I've never noticed an excessively large number of people boarding with PREM on the routes I fly.

Regardless, suppose there are a lot of DMs in Y boarding with F. Why should any of the F pax care? There's plenty of overhead bin space in F and its not like any of the DMs flying in Y use it.
Here's why I care. The few times I fly Delta I have about 6-8 persons with me. All paid F. Most of the party are 60+, and while not fully handicapped, there are some disabilities, which is why I drag them behind me. My last flight with this new rule implemented was a mess. While there weren't 50+ Diamonds, there were quite a few who could not be bothered being stuck behind persons who they deemed moving to slow for them and almost caused a person using a cane to trip because he tried to glide past and the cane got caught in his luggage. So I had to get vocal in the jetway and release a few choice words after which everybody slowed their speed.

I realize we could have pre-boarded, but it was never a problem with just FC boarding and me holding tickets for almost 50% of the cabin. You might get funny looks when people see only one person with a cane yet a group of 7-8 in line as preboards. It looks however that I'll have to start using it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.