Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Boarding Process

I know I am just asking to be flamed, but I am honestly wondering if its just me or does everyone else think Delta has the absolute worst and most confusing boarding process of all the airlines?

First you have pre-boards. Usually this is broken into 2 separate groups. Those needing "extra time" and then families with car seats and strollers. For all intents and purposes this is group 1 & 2 of 6. (some agents do combine this into 1)

I know the diamonds love getting to board with first class now, but didn't that devalue first class for those who pay for it? (and those on upgrades as well) it used to be that if you paid for first or got upgraded you got to get on the plane without it being such as crush of people. Now I'd estimate at least 1/4th of the plane crams the jet bridge when they call first class. Of course this is after you fight your way through the massive crowd at the gate house anyway. This massive crowd headed for the gate encourages the zone 1 and 2's to go ahead and crowd the gate even more for fear of loosing overhead bin space. So for all intents and purposes this is group 3 of 6.

Next you have Sky in which I would estimate that at least 40% of the plane is going to board, especially with the addition of the comfort plus folks. The zone 1 and 2's that earlier pushed closer to the gate to keep from loosing overhead bin space will now start boarding out of order because this large crowd basically assures them there will be no more overhead bin space. Given the fact that at least 60% of the plane has now boarded they are probably right. So for all intents and purposes this is group 4 of 6.

Next up is Zone 1, these poor folks probably paid for "priority boarding" via credit card fee's or by earning silver status but are in actuality the 5th out of 6th in line to board, which isn't really priority at all. Not only that more than 60% of the plane has surely boarded at this point, how do you sell this as "priority" when you are next to last at the bottom of the list and most of the plane has already boarded. So for all intents and purposes this is group 5 of 6.

Finally Zone 2, if there is anyone left. Its basically just "all board" at this point

I'm just wondering what everyone else opinions are, there must be a better way?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:30 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wow! You make it sound like a soap opera!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Boarding would be a breeze if passengers actually took a few minutes to identify the zone on their boarding pass and actually listen to the instructions of the GA's. This method of boarding is trivial and it's amazing how many passengers struggle with basic reading comprehension and listening skills (this was not directed at the OP, but those that loiter near the gate).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:53 am

Airlines should eliminate boarding zones. Passengers in gate areas should just form 2 lines: general and priority:

Boarding should be called all at once. None of this "first class may board... zone 1 may board... zone 2 may board..." -- that's inefficient and tiresome for the gate agent. It's also confusing for passengers who don't speak English, or passengers who show up late and don't know what zone has just been called.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Wow! You make it sound like a soap opera!
It does seem like it...I could go on into the people who practically bring luggage carts and slow the process up even more, but when I'm flying 3 to 4 times a week the whole wasted time and process just seems to wear on me...maybe its just me

Boarding would be a breeze if passengers actually took a few minutes to identify the zone on their boarding pass and actually listen to the instructions of the GA's. This method of boarding is trivial and it's amazing how many passengers struggle with basic reading comprehension and listening skills (this was not directed at the OP, but those that loiter near the gate).
Agreed, 100%. But thats not the entire problem, the purpose of having groups and before when they boarded by rows was to break it down into small groups boarding at once to avoid it being a huge rush of people all at once. Now 50+% of the plane has been front loaded into PREM & SKY so its almost like counter productive to the purpose of having groups?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
No, you are far from being the only person who feels this way about DL's boarding process.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:22 am

Zone 2 is always >50% of the plane, and Zone 1 is a big chunk too. I don't know why people think that PREM or even SKY make up half the plane combined. OP said it's 60%.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It all depends on the route and day/time... some of the heavy elites routes can have over half of the plane in the SKY boarding zone, but systemwide it is definitely not.

Oh and as for the post to form two lines and board all at once... you'd have massive lines for pax standing/sitting there an hour before so they can get overhead space. You think there are gate lice now? That would make it like the WN cattle call where they only had 3 groups and it was first come first serve within them.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:34 am

N615HL, I agree that the other part of the problem is that anyone can be Zone 1 if they choose to purchase Delta AMEX. Prem/Sky should be designated for those sitting up front, Zone 1 for the Comfort Plus cabin, then everyone else in Zone's 2 and 3. Zone 1 does seem to make a large portion of the passenger base these days.

Originally Posted by davie355
Airlines should eliminate boarding zones. Passengers in gate areas should just form 2 lines: general and priority
No thanks. This would lead to absolute pandemonium.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Zone 2 is always >50% of the plane, and Zone 1 is a big chunk too. I don't know why people think that PREM or even SKY make up half the plane combined. OP said it's 60%.
There is one time I remember the upgrade list was about 80 people long for a MD90 (I was ~50th as a GM). So, PREM, SKY, and Zone 1 were >50% of the plane. But, that was the exception. Usually Zones 2 and 3 are most everyone. Why do they separate them into two zones is a mystery to me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Navig8R

No thanks. This would lead to absolute pandemonium.
Wait, I thought that this is what exists currently??
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Wait, I thought that this is what exists currently??
Currently? Just pandemonium. With the two line suggestion, absolute pandemonium would ensue!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
There is one time I remember the upgrade list was about 80 people long for a MD90 (I was ~50th as a GM). So, PREM, SKY, and Zone 1 were >50% of the plane. But, that was the exception. Usually Zones 2 and 3 are most everyone. Why do they separate them into two zones is a mystery to me.
The only way to get Zone 1 outside of exit row is to have some sort of status. It's like Baby SKY. Zone 2 is everyone else.

Zone 3 is Basic Economy.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:47 am

This morning ATL-LAX, an extended family of 9 boards with an infant with a stroller. Really, the 6 of them who immediately disappeared down the jetway leaving the (presumed) parents to board with the baby & stroller really needed to board early??
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
IMO, there are two serious flaws in DL's (and probably everyone else's) boarding process:

1) Passengers do not board with their zone, often choosing to board ahead of when their zone is called.

2) DL employees choose to allow item 1 to occur.

If you fix those two problems, things would be much better. Not perfect; but much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.