Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I like the change. Especially when I have a bulkhead C+ seat. It's nice not having to worry about bin space.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So....what's wrong with 1,2,3,4,5 again?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by N615HL
I know the diamonds love getting to board with first class now, but didn't that devalue first class for those who pay for it?
There's probably a lot of diamonds that are sitting in back who booked last minute tickets that paid more for their last minute coach ticket than people sitting up front. Most B, M and Y fares are more expensive than an A or P fare.

Seeing diamond's are getting stuck sitting in the back more often than ever due to FCM, I don't see the big deal. I'm sure most diamonds are like me, and usually carry on and if you are in a bulk head it's nice not having to worry about bin space being taken when you board. The old system was too big of a mess allowing gold's, PM's and DM's to all board at one time. I guess the other way around it would be to board F, then diamonds, then PM's then Golds and FO's and then by zones, but Delta has too many zones as it.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
As a DM, the PREM boarding is silly. Yes my UG is at ~90%, but on the occasion that I don't get the UG, I can wait for FC to board and I won't loose the chance to use the overhead. My two flights this past Thursday had several lice waiting over 30 min before the posted boarding time (nothing new) and when they did board in PREM, they all marched to EC+ and beyond.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:42 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FCM means that most of the people sitting in "paid" FC are not big spenders at all.
LOL

My "new" Delta boarding process is very simple :

- Those who need special assistance.
- Zone 1 (or call it BS for "Big Spender") : Flight segment paid (MQDs) >$2000
- Zone 2 : $1000 to $1999
- Zone 3 : $500 to $999
- Zone 4 : < $500

Feel free to tweak my amounts.

Families with children, want to board first; just buy into Zone 1 ("BS").

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
There's probably a lot of diamonds that are sitting in back who booked last minute tickets that paid more for their last minute coach ticket than people sitting up front. Most B, M and Y fares are more expensive than an A or P fare.
As a DM that usually books 4 to 48 hrs prior to departure I can assure you there is plenty of overhead space for us Y, B, M fare purchasers since FC and C+ are nearly always booked full 12 hours prior to departure (if not sooner). I usually end up in regular ole economy unless I get an upgrade at the gate.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by WWads
I would love it if they would go back to this, but I'm not sure we'll ever see this again.

After all, "And that's not all...Delta AMEX cardholders get to board with Zone 4!" is not an effective credit card sales pitch.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 18sas
I would love it if they would go back to this, but I'm not sure we'll ever see this again.

After all, "And that's not all...Delta AMEX cardholders get to board with Zone 4!" is not an effective credit card sales pitch.
They wouldn't have to sell it as zone 3 boarding, but as priority boarding before the rest of general boarding. Even current advertising on Amex's website only mentions "priority boarding," not the zone number. Since the vast majority of the cabin (on flights that aren't almost all elites) should be boarding with 4 or 5, boarding in 3 could still be considered priority.

I would also point out that US Airways used to sell their credit card with zone 2 boarding. They didn't seem to have any problems with that. Credit card advertising should not be the reason why the entire DL boarding process has to be complex, and ultimately broken.

Zone 1
First/Business

Zone 2
DM/PM/GM

Zone 3
Priority (and FO)

Zone 4-5
General Boarding

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 13, 2015 at 9:26 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
I would also point out that US Airways used to sell their credit card with zone 2 boarding.
There is no accounting for what a US Airways traveler enjoys, because anyone who was loyal to that airline was clearly irrational and or self-hating.

I'd rather take a bus.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marcworld
There is no accounting for what a US Airways traveler enjoys, because anyone who was loyal to that airline was clearly irrational and or self-hating.

I'd rather take a bus.
^ what he said. They drove me away as a CP about 7 years ago. I don't much like AA, but I need a second airline and UA destroyed CO. I expect the NEW AA to be more like the OLD US.

Last edited by SYRRDU; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
DL/AX assert that one of the advantages of using their credit card is "priority boarding," which in practice means being in the third tranche.

Having Prem and Sky before Zone One obfuscates this sleight of hand; the ensuing confusion is of no concern to the MBAs in marketing - that's an operational issue.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
As a DM, the PREM boarding is silly. Yes my UG is at ~90%, but on the occasion that I don't get the UG, I can wait for FC to board and I won't loose the chance to use the overhead. My two flights this past Thursday had several lice waiting over 30 min before the posted boarding time (nothing new) and when they did board in PREM, they all marched to EC+ and beyond.
Yeah, this is mostly why I don't understand why DMs are part of PREM now, other than the obvious concession of throwing them a bone. Even as a GM seated in Y bulkhead exit rows all the time, I never had to worry too much about getting space. Sure, I had to be vigilant about boarding, and had to be a bit of a gate lice, but only to the smallest extent (when PREM boarding was called, I would pack up my things and get ready for the SP rush).

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
LOL

I would proudly be Zone 4, 95% of the time.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Talking

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
LOL

yes, this is perfect, boarding zones based on dollars spent
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
I just boarded LAS-LAX. Gate lice everywhere!!!! entitled pushy line cutting imbeciles. There is no hope for these people. One woman decided she could board because the sign says SkyPriority. The sign is always there. 24/7 whether a flight is at the gate or not. She just barges right up front. Her husband stays back like a normal human being. She turns around all mad, hurry up come up!!!! He says well I'm waiting for them to call us. She says, "it says Sky Priority right here!!!! Let's go!!!!"

There is no hope. These people just assume Sky Priority is the very first to board, and also assume they are the only people on the whole plane with the same rank.

All I care about is the gate agent, shutting them down. And she did. They almost always do. As they should. Let the pushy dense people figure it out the hard way.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by marcworld
I just boarded LAS-LAX. Gate lice everywhere!!!! entitled pushy line cutting imbeciles. There is no hope for these people. One woman decided she could board because the sign says SkyPriority. The sign is always there. 24/7 whether a flight is at the gate or not. She just barges right up front. Her husband stays back like a normal human being. She turns around all mad, hurry up come up!!!! He says well I'm waiting for them to call us. She says, "it says Sky Priority right here!!!! Let's go!!!!"

There is no hope. These people just assume Sky Priority is the very first to board, and also assume they are the only people on the whole plane with the same rank.

All I care about is the gate agent, shutting them down. And she did. They almost always do. As they should. Let the pushy dense people figure it out the hard way.
If anyone ever needs a convincing argument for human cloning, it would be to clone the occasional GAs that are reported in these forums, the ones that adamantly marshal boarding, so they can be sent to each gate in America, and eventually the world. Then this nonsense would finally be eradicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.