Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
"the askee gets to decide what's beneficial" issue has been addressed MULTIPLE times in this thread. It's not even in dispute. It's completely unrelated to what's being discussed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I live in NYC, where many feel a "cultural norm" of telling people, in explicit and occasionally anatomically unlikely terms , what they think when someone unnecessarily chooses to get involved in their life.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is the rudeness really necessary?
It's always optional, but thx for noting it.

Originally Posted by pvn
"the askee gets to decide what's beneficial" issue has been addressed MULTIPLE times in this thread. It's not even in dispute. It's completely unrelated to what's being discussed.
And yet the poster to whom I replied seemed to be perfectly willing to make a determination as "how beneficial the trade is to them," so perhaps your snark is misdirected. AFAIAC an askee may reject the trade for any reason or no reason. It doesn't have to make sense to the "asker", etc.

O/H
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by pvn
I've been following this thread for weeks and I have no idea what is being discussed on this thread, at this point at least. I don't know that someone has to read every post on the thread, especially when the topic has veered off and back on so many times, to not be able to make a point without a rude response. Some people probably have better things to do than those of us who have (tried to) follow this thread.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
It's always optional, but thx for noting it.

And yet the poster to whom I replied seemed to be perfectly willing to make a determination as "how beneficial the trade is to them," so perhaps your snark is misdirected. AFAIAC an askee may reject the trade for any reason or no reason. It doesn't have to make sense to the "asker", etc.

O/H
Did you even read my message? Seems like you didn't. Just like every other post (and other posters posts) we were clear about it being beneficial in view of person being asked. However you've chosen to ignore that.

to be clear

NO ONE is saying the person asking gets to determine what is beneficial. What is so hard to understand about this? It's like the twilight zone. Multiple people have made this point clear ad nauseam. Yet some choose ignore this.

Again,

The person asking is NOT the one that gets to determine if it's beneficial. Can we please stop arguing over something we agree on.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:21 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
AFAIAC an askee may reject the trade for any reason or no reason.
Yes, everyone in this thread agrees with this statement. This is not what the dispute is over.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta
Monday 9.11.17; DL 1301 from BWI to MSP. I was seated in 19D - exit row, aisle.
2 rows ahead of me, a youngish couple had 17B and 17C.

A woman arrives at the tail-end of boarding, stops at row 17, and announces loudly, "I don't do windows." Which, aside from being something I have heard from prospective cleaning services, I took to mean that she didn't want to sit in her ticketed seat, 17A.

The couple obliged, taking A & B and the loud lady got her aisle seat. She had no obvious disability requiring aisle seating, and was able to get up and down said aisle easily during the flight.

It's not the swap that bothered me, it was the manner in which it happened.
ESPECIALROB and Osmo like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaDunce

A woman arrives at the tail-end of boarding, stops at row 17, and announces loudly, "I don't do windows." Which, aside from being something I have heard from prospective cleaning services, I took to mean that she didn't want to sit in her ticketed seat, 17A.

The couple obliged, taking A & B and the loud lady got her aisle seat. She had no obvious disability requiring aisle seating, and was able to get up and down said aisle easily during the flight.

I might have asked her if she had checked the next flight for aisle seats. Actually since my wife prefers the window we would have still moved over.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DeltaDunce

It's too bad the couple didn't give her the middle seat.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:25 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be great! ^
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
^ you win the thread for this week
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
And then would have a very loud conversation between themselves talking very loudly over the middle seat and continually pass stuff back and forth over her
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Flame if you want, but I really am getting sick of this crap - it's getting to be almost every flight (in F at least).

Do I mind when it is aisle for aisle? Not really...but it rarely is. It is usually a couple with a gate upgrade with two windows.

A recent flight my wife and I got upgraded at the gate with 2 windows - I did not even think of asking someone to switch. I think we can manage 2 hours out of a 9 day vacation apart.

Just sit in your seat already!

Friday I had the exact seat I wanted (used a GUC way in advance for an 1 1/2 hour domestic flight) and I board and see the wheelchair that pre-boarded next to me and his wife in the other window. I knew what was coming.....I begrudgingly switched because he was in bad shape and did not feel like I had a choice, I was not going to be his caretaker. I hate to be insensitive but if you need to be together why not decline the upgrade?

I think we have all experienced the wrath of someone who throws a tantrum after being told no.....

My favorite is the single person who comes and says "would you like the window?" and wanting you to move over like they are doing you a favor.....that one does not fly.

Plan ahead, stop making your problem other people's problem, and every once in a while, take a seat you don't want! Geesh...

Rant over

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Sep 19, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I think we have all experienced the wrath of someone who throws a tantrum after being told no.....

My favorite is the single person who comes and says "would you like the window?" and wanting you to move over like they are doing you a favor.....that one does not fly.

Rant over
Yeah, that one gets me too...my standard answer is "If I wanted it, I would have gotten it".

However, the one that gets me the most, and one that I have heard quite a lot but more when I was younger, is "You are going to have to move so I can sit with my..."

Nope. Nope. Anything that comes out of the requestor's mouth like an order is treated on the same level as an outright poacher. It's a no immediately. I have incurred wrath over responding this by asking what the f they mean by "I am going to have to"
ESPECIALROB and DiverDave like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Flame if you want, but I really am getting sick of this crap - it's getting to be almost every flight (in F at least).

Do I mind when it is aisle for aisle? Not really...but it rarely is. It is usually a couple with a gate upgrade with two windows.

A recent flight my wife and I got upgraded at the gate with 2 windows - I did not even think of asking someone to switch. I think we can manage 2 hours out of a 9 day vacation apart.

Just sit in your seat already!

Friday I had the exact seat I wanted (used a GUC way in advance for an 1 1/2 hour domestic flight) and I board and see the wheelchair that pre-boarded next to me and his wife in the other window. I knew what was coming.....I begrudgingly switched because he was in bad shape and did not feel like I had a choice, I was not going to be his caretaker. I hate to be insensitive but if you need to be together why not decline the upgrade?

Plan ahead, stop making your problem other people's problem, and every once in a while, take a seat you don't want! Geesh...

Rant over
How do you know they were upgraded? Also there's legal issues with disabled and those needing an assitant. I've found agents try and get the person to ask instead of outright forcing the move. If move refused then agent forces it. At least gives appearance of choice, even if end truly isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.