Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I had a woman offer me $100 to switch seats. I agreed.

Fumbling through her bag, she asked if we could settle up at at ATM when we got to SEA. No, absolutely not.

She whined for maybe ten minutes.
That's a new one -- I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a seat swap today.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: DL GM

Fumbling through her bag, she asked if we could settle up at at ATM when we got to SEA. No, absolutely not.

If she knew your FT username she never would have tried that.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
I made $40 once on a PMNW flight for swapping seats but it was cash up front!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
If the seat had been worse I would have put up a fight. But given it was just the other aisle my sleep deprivation (and the 2 free premium drinks in the sky club promo) got the best of me.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Boarding my LAX-JFK last as I was hoping for a no show so my ruc would clear. Alas no. As I arrive to my bulkhead C+ seat 13F there's a woman settled in. Feet up on the bulkhead. She pays me no attention as I obviously stand there holding my ticket staring at her. After a few moments I let her know she's in my seat. She says nothing but shakes her head and flashes her ticket at me. She's in the wrong seat. E not F, just across the aisle. I let her know that and she remains silent as she just stares at me. Rather then rip into her about how a woman her age should be able to read I just say "I'll take your seat then" and settle in. Not a word from her as she goes back to poking away at her phone.
Isn't E a better seat anyway? (You get half of D going past you to the lavs rather than all of G.)
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Which I'd consider evidence that she didn't intend to pay. She didn't offer collateral, did she?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sethb
Isn't E a better seat anyway? (You get half of D going past you to the lavs rather than all of G.)
I slightly prefer F just because it's a row of 2 aisle rather then a row of 3 aisle. It's a minuscule difference so not enough to make me fight for it

Last edited by xolinlevh; Dec 7, 2015 at 2:07 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I slightly prefer F just because it's a row or 2 aisle rather then a row of 3 aisle. It's a minuscule difference so not enough to make me fight for it
Agree it's a tiny difference. But it's one of two aisles on the row of 3, rather than the only in a row of 2. And the seat next to it is a middle rather than a window, so more likely to be empty.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Here's my system for swaps:

IF you poached the seat before I got there, THEN NO

IF you are an adult couple that does not want to be apart, THEN NO

IF you are separated due to Ops, THEN NO

IF you simply don't like what you got, THEN NO

IF you make some excuse about your medical condition, THEN NO

IF you ask politely, THEN NO..politely

IF you expect me to say yes because you are a priest/soldier in uniform/handicapped/an attractive female/elderly, THEN NO

IF you are the FA and requesting on behalf of someone else, but not ordering, THEN NO

IF you are offering a swap but will not show a boarding pass to demonstrate that the swap is not to some crappy economy middle seat, THEN NO

IF your swap request means an upgrade to biz or first for me, THEN YES

Flying twice a week for 10 years has shown me that swaps are simply a losing proposition. Even-steven swaps are not really a problem...until you start getting asked on every other flight. I just got sick of hearing it.

I don't care if you don't sit with your companions. I don't care about your family, I don't care about your back, bladder, knees, claustrophobia or fear of flying. I don't care if you need to get off to catch a connection.

And I don't care what other pax around me think of me for saying no. I will never see them again. Their opinion doesn't matter.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Dec 8, 2015 at 12:24 am
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea

IF you expect me to say yes because you are a priest/soldier in uniform/handicapped/an attractive female/elderly, THEN NO

IF you are the FA and requesting on behalf of someone else, but not ordering, THEN NO

IF you are offering a swap but will not show a boarding pass to demonstrate that the swap is not to some crappy economy middle seat, THEN NO

Flying twice a week for 10 years has shown me that swaps are simply a losing proposition. Even-steven swaps are not really a problem...until you start getting asked on every other flight. I just got sick of hearing it.

I don't care if you don't sit with your companions. I don't care about your family, I don't care about your back, bladder, knees, claustrophobia or fear of flying. I don't care if you need to get off to catch a connection.

And I don't care what other pax around me think of me for saying no. I will never see them again. Their opinion doesn't matter.
Was engineering school tough?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:48 am

+1 Well said, sir.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I think I sat next to you once.

You were the only person who has ever refused to switch your middle for an aisle in the same row. As it is absolutely your right to decline, we stayed in our assigned seats and it didn't come up again.

Don't worry, the 2.5 hours of Mrs. Lee and I talking to each other in 11A/11C with you being grumpy in 11B was awkward for us, too. We still joke about it to this day.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

What about an adult couple that does not want to be together?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

As harsh as this may sound to some, I tend to agree with you. It is rare that I am offered the better end of the trade. Heck it is rare to be offered an equal trade....
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
As harsh as this may sound to some, I tend to agree with you. It is rare that I am offered the better end of the trade. Heck it is rare to be offered an equal trade....
That's my experience too. Combine this with rudeness or just taking over my seat without asking and my answer is NO (with no reason or apology) unless I'm sure that I'm getting a better seat. If it's so important to sit with your entire family, PAY FOR IT and don't try to inconvenience me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.