FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:13 pm
Proudelitist
Suspended

Here's my system for swaps:

IF you poached the seat before I got there, THEN NO

IF you are an adult couple that does not want to be apart, THEN NO

IF you are separated due to Ops, THEN NO

IF you simply don't like what you got, THEN NO

IF you make some excuse about your medical condition, THEN NO

IF you ask politely, THEN NO..politely

IF you expect me to say yes because you are a priest/soldier in uniform/handicapped/an attractive female/elderly, THEN NO

IF you are the FA and requesting on behalf of someone else, but not ordering, THEN NO

IF you are offering a swap but will not show a boarding pass to demonstrate that the swap is not to some crappy economy middle seat, THEN NO

IF your swap request means an upgrade to biz or first for me, THEN YES

Flying twice a week for 10 years has shown me that swaps are simply a losing proposition. Even-steven swaps are not really a problem...until you start getting asked on every other flight. I just got sick of hearing it.

I don't care if you don't sit with your companions. I don't care about your family, I don't care about your back, bladder, knees, claustrophobia or fear of flying. I don't care if you need to get off to catch a connection.

And I don't care what other pax around me think of me for saying no. I will never see them again. Their opinion doesn't matter.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Dec 8, 2015 at 12:24 am