Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by pvn
Well, here's the thing, you can't stop me from asking. So... tough cookies, I'm gonna keep asking when it suits me.
Don't agree with PVN often, but I love this response, and agree 100%

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're traveling with a pet, presumably you know this in advance and can select seats that aren't bulkhead.
Do you even read posts that you respond to? The post you quoted specifically mentioned IROPS.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Don't agree with PVN often, but I love this response, and agree 100%

Do you even read posts that you respond to? The post you quoted specifically mentioned IROPS.
Maybe he has a dog named IROPS and it threw him off.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the problem here is the difference between the theoretical and the actual.

If all requests for swaps were made in a polite, friendly and non-intrusive manner, and the requested swaps themselves were not, at the minimum, to worse seats, there would be few if any issues. That's the theoretical.

However, I suspect that most people's experience (and, certainly, mine) has been that either a seat was poached and, at minimum, attitude and, at worst, an argument resulted in trying to reclaim the seat, or, the proffered swap was to a clearly worse seat and the refusal to swap resulted in attitude or an argument. This is the actual for many, if not most, of us.

Unless and until the general environment of commercial flying changes (both planes and pax), there is going to resistance to even being asked to swap seats based on the likelihood that it will be the precursor to a hassle.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Well, here's the thing, you can't stop me from asking. So... tough cookies, I'm gonna keep asking when it suits me.
+1
The funny thing about this thread is how worked up people are getting over being asked. It actually is bringing me to hope I cross paths with these people and get to ask them for a seat swap, knowing it will ruin their day, and knowing that their being asked will leave them more annoyed than I would be getting a "no".
susanc, hurnik and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
I think the problem here is the difference between the theoretical and the actual.

If all requests for swaps were made in a polite, friendly and non-intrusive manner, and the requested swaps themselves were not, at the minimum, to worse seats, there would be few if any issues. That's the theoretical.
^^^

Indeed, if the "theoretcial" were the "actual" there would certainly be no need for a 1350+ (!) post thread about it.

Originally Posted by PTravel
However, I suspect that most people's experience (and, certainly, mine) has been that either a seat was poached and, at minimum, attitude and, at worst, an argument resulted in trying to reclaim the seat, or, the proffered swap was to a clearly worse seat and the refusal to swap resulted in attitude or an argument. This is the actual for many, if not most, of us.
Exactly. This is why I resent/dislike finding my assigned seat actually occupied (rarely happens as I tend to board early); it presumes an answer on my part, like I'm letting the team down if I refuse because "but I'm already here", and it will require extra effort to extricate the person from a seat I specifically chose. I don't want to be hassled. I want to stow my gear and enjoy a PDB in peace.

It's not like every asker was the victim of IRROPs or has some medical condition or a tight connection. I'm willing to give someone a fair hearing, and I've moved to accommodate other people before, but if I am not (or any askee is not) inclined to switch then that should be the end of it. Instead, 1350+ posts.

O/H

Last edited by Occupationalhazard; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
one more time -- people who are basically civil, and not evidencing the "I've got what I want, so to #€£L with everyone else" attitude, MAY accommodate a polite request

the issue here seems to be that there are at least two schools of thought as to whether anyone should ever even make said polite request, and at least as many as to what's the proper way to respond, and there will NEVER be a consensus as to either
Politeness doesn't change the fact that it's an imposition. It's still a steaming crap, offered in a fancy box.

If someone wants to accept that steaming crap because they are not bothered, great. But even the fact that someone accepts it doesn't make it any less of an imposition.

Accepted by the seat holder or not, it's still poor form to ask. Politely put or rudely demanded, it's still an imposition.

Why? Because there is no real need to switch seats. Only a want.

If there IS a real need, such as disability..then the FA can force the move.

Otherwise, anyone asking is being selfish in doing so, and deserves to be dismissed out of hand.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
^^^

Indeed, if the "theoretcial" were the "actual" there would certainly be no need for a 1350+ (!) post thread about it.

Exactly. This is why I resent/dislike finding my assigned seat actually occupied (rarely happens as I tend to board early); it presumes an answer on my part, like I'm letting the team down if I refuse because "but I'm already here", and it will require extra effort to extricate the person from a seat I specifically chose. I don't want to be hassled. I want to stow my gear and enjoy a PDB in peace.

It's not like every asker was the victim of IRROPs or has some medical condition or a tight connection. I'm willing to give someone a fair hearing, and I've moved to accommodate other people before, but if I am not (or any askee is not) inclined to switch then that should be the end of it. Instead, 1350+ posts.

O/H
Absolutely. One pet peeve of mine is the absurd hypothetical argument, the reducto ad absurdum, that so many FT'ers engage in...usually it's something along the lines of "Ok, but what if the person's child is 2, and mentally retarded, and they are travelling with grandma, and their flight was cancelled 2 times, and they did book seats ahead of time, but the IT department at the airline ate the reservation??' etc etc.

In my experience, it is never so pathetic a real life story. It's almost always able bodied grown ups who seem to think being apart for a few hours is devestating, or a person who likes your seat better because theirs is terrible. It's typically a kettle who didn't know you could prebook seats, or cheaped out on paying the fee, or pushes their luck because they got UG'd but separately from their companion, and who doesn't understand that airline seats are not all priced the same and that different seats have different values.

It's always a case of inflated sense of entitlement, not a tale of airline sorrow.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
one more time -- people who are basically civil, and not evidencing the "I've got what I want, so to #€£L with everyone else" attitude, MAY accommodate a polite request

the issue here seems to be that there are at least two schools of thought as to whether anyone should ever even make said polite request, and at least as many as to what's the proper way to respond, and there will NEVER be a consensus as to either
Yup, the last bit seems to be the issue.
I used to be of the mindset that (regarding pretty much anything) that it never hurts to ask, what's the worst they can do, so "no"? (May I leave work a few minutes early, May I have a raise, etc.)

But after reading this thread, and the outright hostility of some people for even being (gasp) asked, I now have to wonder.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Politeness doesn't change the fact that it's an imposition. It's still a steaming crap, offered in a fancy box.

If someone wants to accept that steaming crap because they are not bothered, great. But even the fact that someone accepts it doesn't make it any less of an imposition.

Accepted by the seat holder or not, it's still poor form to ask. Politely put or rudely demanded, it's still an imposition.

Otherwise, anyone asking is being selfish in doing so, and deserves to be dismissed out of hand.
People don't "need" all sorts of things in life, and yet, requests for small favors are made, and granted or denied, constantly in our day to day lives. Your position (that it's purportedly inappropriate to even ask) is so unreasonable, I actually wonder if you're just trolling.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
pvn got put in time out.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
People don't "need" all sorts of things in life, and yet, requests for small favors are made, and granted or denied, constantly in our day to day lives. Your position (that it's purportedly inappropriate to even ask) is so unreasonable, I actually wonder if you're just trolling.
From friends. Family. Even acquaintances. But from total strangers? No, I don't get that "constantly", except from panhandlers of course.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And there are things like Irrops are aircraft changes or getting FAM'd out of a paid first seat or sometimes Shena (I think my exit row was swapped out to a NRSA a long time ago when I was still PM), or the case recently where I was in C+ and a couple had a pet and were assigned a bulkhead. Not always poor planing.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're traveling with a pet, presumably you know this in advance and can select seats that aren't bulkhead.
Note that jamesteroh wasn't the one with a pet, someone else had one and jamesteroh was moved out of a pre-assigned C+ bulkhead seat.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
So when someone offers me a seat I prefer to the one I have, that's crap? I consider it a win, in my universe.

And on your planet, people never ask for something they merely want? You've never requested someone to hold a door for you, or an elevator? You've never phoned an airline to ask for a seat that you want, or the flight that you want?

Or perhaps asking for something you want is acceptable under some circumstances.

I'll remember that if you're ever running for an elevator that I'm in.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
pvn got put in time out.
What did he write that was over the line? I thought his post about a poster reading Logical Fallacies for Dummies was clever, not insulting.
susanc likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
What did he write that was over the line? I thought his post about a poster reading Logical Fallacies for Dummies was clever, not insulting.
To me, it was needed on a cumulative level and not because of an isolated incident. He picks fights to pick fights. I had an issue a week or two ago with him and got 3 PM's in support and the user names of multiple people who have blocked him. We are here to share and learn from each other, not demean. I proved him wrong in a few incidents and he just stopped replying to that thread then. I was very active in FT 10 years ago and the negativity got to me and so I applaud any attempt at trying to encourage simple honest debate and not fighting to fight.
susanc, DiverDave and KevinDTW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.