Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight

I do not believe it was much of an imposition....
Of course you don't. You were the requestor who wanted another guy to move for your own interests. He agreed, but that doesn't make it anyless of a selfish imposition on your part. Why couldn't you not sit together for a few hours? Aren't you grown ups?
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Why does this thread remind me of a certain late-seventeenth-century French play?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
What is with all of these hypotheticals?, They come across thinly disguised efforts to catch some inconsistency so that you can say "AHA!!!!! See?!?!?!"

Take this most recent example -

Poster is stringing together 6 hypotheticals and basically saying "well, what about when THIS happens?"

I find it strange that one faction seems to be saying "the person being asked has every right to decline", but then goes on to define the reasons that THEY think are acceptable for declining. i.e. if you say "no" because you don't think the offer is for an equivalent or better seat, that's apparently both fine AND dandy. But if you decline because you "don't do seat swaps", then you are unreasonable.

What I want to know is, how are you going to police this distinction in real life?
Again ignore what has been said. It's unreasonable to decline a request that is to YOUR benefit simply because you don't like how the person went about it. Its perfectly reasonable to decline it if there is no or negative benefit to you.

You love 747 UD. You got D1 lower deck middle. Passenger in 77A offers you their seat in exchange. The person had nerve to wait in your seat, so you flat out refuse. You'd rather punish/inconvenience/be uncomfortable for 14 hrs then to take what you really want. Definition of being unreasonable IMO. Hopefully don't follow this philosophy at work.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Angry

Originally Posted by jackvogt
They DO do it when I am traveling with my family and the website will not allow my child who has a high level of anxiety when traveling as it is to sit with me. Usually its trading a middle seat for a middle seat. No big deal. Would it kill you all to be a little bit more gracious? Its just a seat (it goes both ways) and is it worth fighting for it?
Would it kill you to book seats together ahead of time?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Would it kill you to book seats together ahead of time?
While I'm not one to ask for a seat swap, am not so emotionally invested in my seat that I find this an issue and can sit away from travel companions for a few hours, I do understand booking seats together isn't always successful or possible.
  • I was once flying with my two nieces and chose assigned seats months ahead of time, kept rechecking but found us in three seats all over the plane the day before the flight. DL did move us to previously blocked seats, but I was Diamond at the time. If this were to happen to a "regular" passenger there might not be the effort on the passenger or airline's part.
  • Another time, I was in the gate area where a woman was freaking out because she, her husband and child were not sitting together. They were on the way to a funeral and had just purchased their tickets, so there was no opportunity to plan ahead. Coincidentally she was the SIL of the coworker I was going to see the next day and was headed to the funeral of their shared father/FIL. I checked my phone and had a message explaining I would be going to the customer alone the next day.
  • Finally, I once found my seat double-assigned. I was GM at the time. The other guy was PM, before DM, and was going to be given my seat, with me being tossed off the plane. The only problem: My then six year old niece was in the seat next to me. They weren't tossing her off. An FA held me by the arm while things got worked out (so long as she was holding me the plane couldn't take off she said) and ultimately a third party in F volunteered for money so they other guy was fine taking the newly open seat.

Don't be so quick to judge what someone should do ahead of time. As far as how someone acts on the plane, different story, but sometimes even the best planned seat assignments go awry, or planning is not an option.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hopefully don't follow this philosophy at work.
What does this have to do with seat swapping? The extreme examples being thrown out have gotten so beyond reality from people who cannot accept that others may have different opinions and levels of what is important. News flash: Not everyone shares the same values. If Person A will swap a seat and Person B will not, then we have two people with different values. Neither is right or wrong, but it's ridiculous that grown adults will create extreme examples so as to make it appear his/her side is correct.

This isn't like where someone calls an international baggage claim domestic and you can factually point to the airport map which shows the claim belt to be called "international" and it is located a mile from the domestic claim belts. That's a factual situation where there is a clear right or wrong. Motivation here is based on values. Values can differ.
PTravel, DiverDave and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Think youre missing what i and others are getting at. I can say you won't be employed for long/it'll be noticed if follow that attitude at work. If how you're asked matters more then the benefit to company then you are being unreasonable.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:33 am

Think youre missing what i and others are getting at. I can say you won't be employed for long/it'll be noticed if follow that attitude at work. If how you're asked matters more then the benefit to company then you are being unreasonable.
No. The point is very clear: Some people cannot tolerate any opinions differing from their own and will make up extreme irrelevancies. It's unmistakable and clearly the take-away.

BTW, I am certified to teach DiSC. The model used, which is common, starts out differentiating how people act at work versus in their personal lives. Most people, the model states, act differently in the two situations. Being on a plane is personal, being at work is work. One has nothing to do with the other. But educated adults already know that.
DiverDave and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CJKatl
No. The point is very clear: Some people cannot tolerate any opinions differing from their own and will make up extreme irrelevancies. It's unmistakable and clearly the take-away.

BTW, I am certified to teach DiSC. The model used, which is common, starts out differentiating how people act at work versus in their personal lives. Most people, the model states, act differently in the two situations. Being on a plane is personal, being at work is work. One has nothing to do with the other. But educated adults already know that.
I said if you followed this at work. Never said they did. The point of comparison was that some are acting like refusing something beneficial is perfectly reasonable just because of how was asked. Compared to show how it isn't perfectly reasonable.

The whole educated adults thing is uncalled for. We may have different opinions, but name calling/putting down is one thing i think we all can avoid.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:53 pm

...The point of comparison was that some are acting like refusing something beneficial is perfectly reasonable just because of how was asked. Compared to show how it isn't perfectly reasonable.
What you think the point is and the point that comes across are very different. Everyone sees the point clearly: one which keeps getting reiterated over and over again.
DiverDave and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
While I'm not one to ask for a seat swap, am not so emotionally invested in my seat that I find this an issue and can sit away from travel companions for a few hours, I do understand booking seats together isn't always successful or possible.
  • I was once flying with my two nieces and chose assigned seats months ahead of time, kept rechecking but found us in three seats all over the plane the day before the flight. DL did move us to previously blocked seats, but I was Diamond at the time. If this were to happen to a "regular" passenger there might not be the effort on the passenger or airline's part.
  • Another time, I was in the gate area where a woman was freaking out because she, her husband and child were not sitting together. They were on the way to a funeral and had just purchased their tickets, so there was no opportunity to plan ahead. Coincidentally she was the SIL of the coworker I was going to see the next day and was headed to the funeral of their shared father/FIL. I checked my phone and had a message explaining I would be going to the customer alone the next day.
  • Finally, I once found my seat double-assigned. I was GM at the time. The other guy was PM, before DM, and was going to be given my seat, with me being tossed off the plane. The only problem: My then six year old niece was in the seat next to me. They weren't tossing her off. An FA held me by the arm while things got worked out (so long as she was holding me the plane couldn't take off she said) and ultimately a third party in F volunteered for money so they other guy was fine taking the newly open seat.

Don't be so quick to judge what someone should do ahead of time. As far as how someone acts on the plane, different story, but sometimes even the best planned seat assignments go awry, or planning is not an option.

And it's nobody elses problem but yours. Error, stupidity, bad luck, things beyond your control..it sucks, but that doesn't mean someone else is required to give up their seat to you. Be glad you are on the plane at all, take your seat, and don't bother others. You want to pass your problem onto a stranger? You can try but nobody is obligated, or even cares about your issues.
PTravel, ESPECIALROB and theddo like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

And it's nobody elses problem but yours. Error, stupidity, bad luck, things beyond your control..it sucks, but that doesn't mean someone else is required to give up their seat to you. Be glad you are on the plane at all, take your seat, and don't bother others. You want to pass your problem onto a stranger? You can try but nobody is obligated, or even cares about your issues.
No, I wouldn't ask to switch, as I stated, but your request that someone plan better is wrong. Which again points out how far from the topic this has gone. Some will ask to switch. Others won't. Some might sometimes but not others, and some may ask to move to the better seat and some to the worse. There is no right or wrong here.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Who claimed that anyone else is required to give up their seat? Strawman much?

And there's a word for people who don't care about other people. Though IIRC, the technical term is now a short phrase.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
And there's a word for people who don't care about other people. Though IIRC, the technical term is now a short phrase.
There's also a word for people who don't know the meaning of the word, "favor."
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:29 pm

Re people refusing a swap on principle even when it would be beneficial to themselves...people refuse stuff that would be beneficial all the time. Act against their own interests out of pride or principle. That's how we got Trump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.