Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new Delta Comfort+

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not GoGo WiFi but Delta Studio TV, movies, and music (some of which is free for everyone).
Oh ok.But the aircraft is an airbus 319? Should I consider c+?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JPCAG
What is wrong with flight steward and stewardess? Or is that just too much for the interloping PC crowd
The terminology has evolved to acknowledge the changing job description of onboard service: while thirty years ago the job was focused more on serving food, beverage, and amenities to passengers, the modern job is first and foremost a flight safety role. The transition accelerated after 2001 when security became a greater job responsibility as well.

The transition from steward/stewardess (a term that evokes visions of ocean liners, or even a wine steward at a restaurant) to flight attendant or cabin attendant simply more accurately describes the new job role.

The transition to gender neutral language is a positive side effect as well, of course, acknowledging the increased diversity in the role in recent years.

But the changing job description is the main driver - particularly on a low fare airline that offers no cabin service, it doesn't make sense to call the onboard crew a steward or stewardess. It also is the term most people holding the job prefer, and it's respectful and appropriate to use the same terminology the employees and employer both use.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
The terminology has evolved to acknowledge the changing job description of onboard service: while thirty years ago the job was focused more on serving food, beverage, and amenities to passengers, the modern job is first and foremost a flight safety role. The transition accelerated after 2001 when security became a greater job responsibility as well.

The transition from steward/stewardess (a term that evokes visions of ocean liners, or even a wine steward at a restaurant) to flight attendant or cabin attendant simply more accurately describes the new job role.

The transition to gender neutral language is a positive side effect as well, of course, acknowledging the increased diversity in the role in recent years.

But the changing job description is the main driver - particularly on a low fare airline that offers no cabin service, it doesn't make sense to call the onboard crew a steward or stewardess. It also is the term most people holding the job prefer, and it's respectful and appropriate to use the same terminology the employees and employer both use.
Is that also why they don't wear mini skirts, hot pants or go go boots any more?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ExArkie
My wife (GM) had a schedule change from the usual Saturday shuffle that moved her flight up almost three hours, which would mean leaving before dawn. When she called to rebook, she lost the C+ seating, which we expected, and was offered the chance to buy it back for roughly the same price she paid for the ticket....
I booked a ticket to JFK in January for a flight in May. I also have Gold Medallion status and was still able to select Economy Comfort seats. Recently I had a 3 hour schedule change for my return flight out of JFK. After calling in and rebooking, I was put into regular Economy seats (I hadn't realized this until after I hung up). Selecting a Comfort+ seat incurred additional fees. After calling back in, I was able to get a supervisor to put me back in the Comfort+ seating at no charge.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ExArkie
... In the course of politely saying no, the Delta rep on the phone made some mention of maybe getting an upgrade to either first or C+. Obviously, the upgrade to first is the usual low-probability complimentary Medallion upgrade, but this statement implies there is an upgrade list for C+, which is not mentioned in anything I have seen nor could find with a search or two.

I thought getting an "upgrade" to C+ was first-come-first-served for GMs at 72 hours prior. Is there a list for upgrades to C+?
I can't answer your question, not having heard of this either.

I am not particular when it comes to FC seats -- aisle, window, bulkhead, they all are an improvement over my Y seat. And I've never heard of anybody turning down an upgrade to a window FC seat because they prefer aisle seats.

When it comes to Y I am more particular. I would be upset if I was moved from my select aisle seat to a middle C+. With the 72 hour thing I can "self upgrade" if I see a seat I like.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:28 am

I just checked out the prices for an upgrade to C+ and it's 97EUR (about 110 USD) for STR-ATL (I have no status with DL).

Can someone confirm that the prices increased compared to Economy Comfort? Do I get "more" in C+ than I would have got in EC or is it just a new name for the same services (a simple rebrand)?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You mean that the crew were jovial and upbeat until you used the word stewardess?
What's wrong with the word stewardess? So long as steward is used for the males. Same as actor/actress.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I can't answer your question, not having heard of this either.

I am not particular when it comes to FC seats -- aisle, window, bulkhead, they all are an improvement over my Y seat. And I've never heard of anybody turning down an upgrade to a window FC seat because they prefer aisle seats.

When it comes to Y I am more particular. I would be upset if I was moved from my select aisle seat to a middle C+. With the 72 hour thing I can "self upgrade" if I see a seat I like.
Mrs. Lee will often decline an UG to first if it moves her from a window to an aisle.

But she realizes she is the exception and as an FO, when she gets an UG it's usually at the gate where she can make a GA aware of her preference and decline the UG if that's all that's left.

I also agree that automagically upgrading within Y is a recipe for many unhappy medallions, particularly with DL's track record of actually doing anything with the seat preferences in our profiles. I would much rather have an aisle seat in the way back vs. a middle or even window up in C+.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
What's wrong with the word stewardess? So long as steward is used for the males. Same as actor/actress.
What's the big deal with using "flight attendant" instead if that's what people in the profession currently call themselves and, for the most part, prefer?

I find that the majority of people I encounter who are insistent on using steward/stewardess in particular are usually doing so to incite a reaction and prove that their worldly experience is vastly superior to damn kids these days.

Back on-topic, I was checking my reservations today and noticed a couple things about DL.com:
1. On seat maps, C+ seats now show as a light blue, vs. dark blue for the preferred/exit rows. Makes is really difficult to distinguish and I can't imagine why they didn't stick with the green.
2. All of my reservations just say "Main Cabin" in the itinerary. No indication of C+. Which makes sense in that it's related to fare class, but I could see this getting confusing for occasional flyers who pay up to C+ and expect to see it reflected everywhere.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Just boarded my STL-MSP flight and, because of a SDC to get back to my wife and newborn earlier, I gave up the upgrade on the later flight for a C+ bulkhead. Here's a few notes on the experience. I hope others on longer flights will weigh in as well.

During the food and beverage announcement, the FAs noted economy had a choice of sodas and juice, or beer wine and liquor for a charge.
Fortunately, when it came time to do the service, C+ did in fact get free liquor.
The FA mixed the drink for me, and kept the liquor bottle.
As it's an under-900 mile flight, no C+ snack basket. But in Sky Magazine it lists goldfish and cliff bars as being in the C+ snack basket and brownie brittle for F.
They announced the free entertainment for passengers in F and C+ -- so for grins I tried it out. No dice. Don't know if because of the SDC it hadn't validated or what, but I'll be writing Delta to find out what went wrong.

Hope these notes are helpful to others.
I was surprised to see C+ had already started 2/27 on my flight from LAX-ATL (767-300). No mention beforehand of any new benefits or distinction but the FAs passed out headphones before the flight (free) and obviously the in-flight Studio had complimentary movies. Alcoholic beverages were free and they did pass out snacks once (bananas,pringles,health bars was all I really saw).

Saw no difference in OHB space (I was actually annoyed bc we had 100+ medallions on the flight which meant everything was gobbled up almost immediately). Can't confirm the new SKY distinction when boarding.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
IND-LAX this morning on 737-800 (still branded Economy Comfort). I wasn't paying attention to the "free booze" announcements, but I assume it was offered. Not many boozing early Monday morning...

Snack basket had bananas, mini clif bars, peanuts, pretzels, biscoff, and oatmeal breakfast cookies.

Definitely no markings for bin space. Didn't try the personal entertainment, but gogo sure was slow. Didn't Delta announce awhile back that all the inflight entertainment was free? For everyone? Or is that just for the in-seat devices?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
2. All of my reservations just say "Main Cabin" in the itinerary. No indication of C+. Which makes sense in that it's related to fare class, but I could see this getting confusing for occasional flyers who pay up to C+ and expect to see it reflected everywhere.
I think they did a broad replacement of "Main Cabin" into everywhere "Economy" was previously used on the site as part of the rebranding. I even see "main cabin" now in the advanced search page.

IIRC, even Economy Comfort showed as "Economy" for the fare class (since it's handled as a separate miscellaneous charge on top of the base fare for those who pay). I agree it's confusing and that the itinerary page should show that you have a confirmed C+ seat. I also really wish Delta would stop showing me upsell ads for better seating on itineraries I already have it on...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by gooselee
What's the big deal with using "flight attendant" instead if that's what people in the profession currently call themselves and, for the most part, prefer? Nothing.

I find that the majority of people I encounter who are insistent on using steward/stewardess in particular are usually doing so to incite a reaction and prove that their worldly experience is vastly superior to damn kids these days. I say FA but I still don't understand what's wrong with steward/ess.

Back on-topic, I was checking my reservations today and noticed a couple things about DL.com:
1. On seat maps, C+ seats now show as a light blue, vs. dark blue for the preferred/exit rows. Makes is really difficult to distinguish and I can't imagine why they didn't stick with the green.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even though headphones are free in C+, it would be wise to keep an extra set in one's carry on stuff. I've been on flights with Delta Studio streamed to devices through the aircraft's wifi system (no seat back screens on the aircraft type) where FAs didn't have any headphones on board.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Are F and C+ classes of service... or grades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.