Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL
Sorry if anyone mentioned this, but why does the FAA show all green down the east coast? For all intents and purposes JFK and BOS are closed.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

I guess "the airport is technically not closed, but there are 0 flights, so technically 0 delays" is the logic at play here.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paul21
Sorry if anyone mentioned this, but why does the FAA show all green down the east coast? For all intents and purposes JFK and BOS are closed.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

I guess "the airport is technically not closed, but there are 0 flights, so technically 0 delays" is the logic at play here.
Somebody goofed.

BTW, CNN is claiming that a Spirit flight is supposed to land in NYC about now. Unfortunately I don't remember the route.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by scottsam66
If by arbitrarily you mean they discounted "scientists" from Koch industries-type institutions with interest in confusing the incredibly naive, err, stupid supporters then yes they did this.
Bottom line is everyone knows global warming/climate change is real and directly impacted by humans.
If you don't see that, I have nothing more to say to you.
How often is "everyone knows" accurate? When I was younger, "everyone knows" that continents don't move. "Everyone knows" that we're due another Ice Age. I suppose the temperature of Mars is also due to human-emitted carbon dioxide, since that has been showing the same variation as Earth's.

Some people are claiming that 2014 was the hottest year on record. The Berkeley Earth actual data says otherwise. Believe who you want.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
According to my Flightboard:
NK 180 FLL LGA 14:17 arrived Gate B6
NK 711 MYR LGA 15:35 arrived Gate B6
and
NK 171 LGA FLL 15:13 departed Gate B6 - en route
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:24 pm

2 minutes video from Delta on recovery of New York region operations (interesting - that one guy's desk has 5+ monitors!!):

Sleeping on planes, ferry flights and more make for quick post-Juno recovery
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL FO
It looks like there's another storm lining up for the NE on Sunday and Monday. I'm from NC, and have only lived in MD for 18 months, so the whole process of winter travel and snow at airports in completely new for me.

I'm scheduled to fly BWI-SLC-LAS leaving at 4:25pm on Monday. According to the current forecast, Baltimore is supposed to get 5-8 inches overnight on Sunday, and an additional 1-3 on Monday morning. I'm fully prepared for delays, but have no frame of reference for how much snow will lead widespread cancellations. What should I expect with a ~10 inch snow fall at BWI during the 24 hour period before my flight?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by mpheels
It looks like there's another storm lining up for the NE on Sunday and Monday. I'm from NC, and have only lived in MD for 18 months, so the whole process of winter travel and snow at airports in completely new for me.
DL has posted an update about it:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...r-weather.html

and there is more information about the rebooking procedure on the DL travel website:
https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...r-weather.html

I am wondering about the following: I am scheduled to fly on 3 February from BCN to JFK, overnight there and then fly from LGA to LIM on 4 February. I didn't intend to overnight in NYC originally but I couldn't book any flights without the overnight on the DL website even though they were available (I kept getting an error message when selecting the BCN-AMS-ATL-LIM routing).

Now, given the weather problems, I was wondering if DL would be willing to change the reservation in such a way so that I fly from BCN to LIM without the stop in NYC (for instance, via AMS on KLM or via CDG/ATL. There are no direct flights from BCN to ATL in winter). This would count as rerouting and could also involve a KLM/AF flight and I would get to LIM one day earlier as a result. Would they charge me for this? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Of course, the easiest solution is to call DL and ask, but it's 2 am in Europe now so I thought I could do it tomorrow.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by mpheels
There's another part of winter travel you have to learn about and that's called "getting to the airport" or home --- as far as that goes anywhere else.

We're from the midwest, but lived in the DC area for a few years and used to take the amount of snow predicted and multiply by four to figure out the impact -- i.e. and inch in DC is like four at home and no big deal, but when you get to four....

<lol>

Bob H
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by krzysz
DL has posted an update about it:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...r-weather.html

and there is more information about the rebooking procedure on the DL travel website:
https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...r-weather.html

I am wondering about the following: I am scheduled to fly on 3 February from BCN to JFK, overnight there and then fly from LGA to LIM on 4 February. I didn't intend to overnight in NYC originally but I couldn't book any flights without the overnight on the DL website even though they were available (I kept getting an error message when selecting the BCN-AMS-ATL-LIM routing).

Now, given the weather problems, I was wondering if DL would be willing to change the reservation in such a way so that I fly from BCN to LIM without the stop in NYC (for instance, via AMS on KLM or via CDG/ATL. There are no direct flights from BCN to ATL in winter). This would count as rerouting and could also involve a KLM/AF flight and I would get to LIM one day earlier as a result. Would they charge me for this? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Of course, the easiest solution is to call DL and ask, but it's 2 am in Europe now so I thought I could do it tomorrow.
You're allowed to change. Small change of dates doesn't matter (you're still within the window). You probably have a better chance the more DL metal you want to switch to, but it's really up to the agent. If you don't get anything satisfactory, agent roulette is the game to play.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we were booked on SEA-DTW-BWI (lv 1055pm Sun, ar 9am Mon); just saw the forecasts and the waiver info for Michigan ... evidently the folks who noticed earlier snatched up all the SEA-ATL availability, so we switched to SEA-MSP-DCA (lv 1255am Mon, at 11am) (this is actually better because I don't have to pick up a rental car at BWI)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
we were booked on SEA-DTW-BWI (lv 1055pm Sun, ar 9am Mon); just saw the forecasts and the waiver info for Michigan ... evidently the folks who noticed earlier snatched up all the SEA-ATL availability, so we switched to SEA-MSP-DCA (lv 1255am Mon, at 11am) (this is actually better because I don't have to pick up a rental car at BWI)
Well done.

MSP is scheduled for some snow very late tonight (Saturday night to Sunday morning), but probably just an inch or two; the MN border with Iowa should get six or eight inches before the storm aims for Chicago and then Detroit. By Sunday night, it should be no problem at MSP, even if there's a small problem early Sunday morning.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well done.

MSP is scheduled for some snow very late tonight (Saturday night to Sunday morning), but probably just an inch or two; the MN border with Iowa should get six or eight inches before the storm aims for Chicago and then Detroit. By Sunday night, it should be no problem at MSP, even if there's a small problem early Sunday morning.
An inch of snow is not a problem for MSP (as I'm sure MSPeconomist knows).
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
An inch of snow is not a problem for MSP (as I'm sure MSPeconomist knows).
Yep, but if the forecasts are wrong by a lot, there could be slight delays, although probably nothing at all serious. Even when roads and traffic are a real mess due to a snowstorm, flights tend to depart on schedule.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any thoughts on how early flights out of JFK will be tomorrow? I have a 7am to LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Have a MSP-JFK-AMS-BOM flight on Feb 3.
Called today ... was told to call back tomorrow 2/2 evening at 6 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.