Wiki Posts
Search

Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hazelrah
The National Weather Service is forecasting heavy snow into Philadelphia tonight and tomorrow (4-8 inches tonight and 3-7 inches tomorrow).
I can't speak about the airport itself, but a bit south of PHL the storm of the century has fizzled. I doubt that we have had an inch total, compared to the 12-plus inches (12 to 18 originally?) that the NWS originally predicted.

Glad I waited rather than digging out my X-country skies when the prediction first came out.

Originally Posted by apodo77
NYC was spared the brunt of this storm. Boston not so much.
How much snow has JFK actually received?

========================

Just found this:
"Whoops.

For most of New York and New Jersey, what was supposed to be the Blizzard of 2015 turned into the Bust of the Century instead.

As the sun rose Monday, there were forecasts that New York City and northern New Jersey could conceivably see 24 to 36 inches of snow from a storm described as "crippling" and "historic."

By sunrise Tuesday, Central Park had only 6.3 inches of snow, with the National Weather Service acknowledging there might as little as 2 more inches on the way. Parts of New Jersey that had been in line for as much as 18 inches ended up with as little as 3 inches.

Gary Szatkowski, the meteorologist in charge of the National Weather Service's office in Mt. Holly, New Jersey, stunned people in the wee hours Tuesday with a heartfelt apology for the blown forecast. "
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102371281

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jan 27, 2015 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But the "new" model presumably got it right. Still, it would have been worse to fail to predict a blizzard and then have a major one hit. Boston and parts of New Engalnd were indeed hard hit and are still getting lots of snow.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But the "new" model presumably got it right. Still, it would have been worse to fail to predict a blizzard and then have a major one hit. Boston and parts of New Engalnd were indeed hard hit and are still getting lots of snow.
Yes, it is a "no win" situation.

But rest assured, the meteorologist's predictions of global warming 50 to 100 years from now are spot-on accurate.

My sympathies do the folks in BOS, et al, who are really feeling the effects of the storm.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:57 am

I think we all tend to lose focus and play MMQB that the airlines or NWS should have been more accurate and then I could have made my meeting/vacation/work/etc.

When really they airlines are being overly cautions because one crash is far worse for the airline, the industry, and certainly everyone on board than over cancelling some flights and messing up a lot of plans. Better to be late than never again.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

But rest assured, the meteorologist's predictions of global warming 50 to 100 years from now are spot-on accurate.

My sympathies do the folks in BOS, et al, who are really feeling the effects of the storm.
Yes when 9998/10000 scientists all state there is human caused global warming- we should mock it. Keep to your ultra right "I'm not a scientist" talking points.
You appear to be conflating scientists ability to analyze data after the fact with weathermen's ability to predict the weather. Nicely done!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Spot-on accurate, maybe not, but at this point, denying climate change is kind of like getting up yesterday morning in NYC and saying "those meteorologists are full of it - it's going to be 95 degrees and sunny on Tuesday!"
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
NYC was spared the brunt of this storm. Boston not so much.

Good luck to everyone with their travel plans.
I live just west of Boston (but inside 128) and there is a decent amount of snow on the ground, but no Snowmageddon-style disaster.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 27, 2015 at 10:53 am Reason: Photograph taken 1/27/15 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Yes when 9998/10000 scientists all state there is human caused global warming- we should mock it. Keep to your ultra right "I'm not a scientist" talking points.
You appear to be conflating scientists ability to analyze data after the fact with weathermen's ability to predict the weather. Nicely done!
The "97%" figure comes from a survey somebody did where he arbitrarily decided which papers count and whether or not a paper supports AGW (even if the paper's authors disagreed on that point). The only survey I've seen of actual scientists found under 50% in support.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:47 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
The "97%" figure comes from a survey somebody did where he arbitrarily decided which papers count and whether or not a paper supports AGW (even if the paper's authors disagreed on that point). The only survey I've seen of actual scientists found under 50% in support.
Not what this survey says:
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.VMfOgC66bD4

But, anyway, meteorologists are not experts in climate change. They help to forecast weather from 24-96 hours out. Climatologists are the experts in climate change, not your local weather personality or Jim Cantori.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It wasn't a survey, it was a peer-reviewed study.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...lobal-warming/

At least some of the controversy appears in part due to the main stream media's (mis) interpretation of the results.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I live just west of Boston (but inside 128) and there is a decent amount of snow on the ground, but no Snowmageddon-style disaster.
Have some friends in the Worcester area with 2 feet of snow and climbing. Seems like a very concentrated area of higher snowfall totals.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2

Beautiful! Thank you.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the late afternoon both the Euro and GFS (American model) were calling for 18" of snow in the NYC area.

At 10:00pm EST on the Weather Channel they talked about how the models were just now changing and the Euro was predicting 18" of snow for NYC and the GFS 3-5" of snow. The meteorologist said this is very rare to occur during an active storm. The Euro model is usually the more accurate of the two models for winter storms.

The Low ended up going further East than predicted and it happened late. Huge difference in what NYC saw and 50 miles to the northeast on Long Island in some reports I read.

There will always be second guessing and manufactured outrage by some but airlines are better off preparing for the 18-24" of snow than preparing for 6" and actually getting 18-24" IMO. Same goes for the city and state governments.

You know if it was 24" after predicting 6" some would still be upset. Danmed if you do and damned if you don't.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes, in the northeast, the determinant of how much snow you get is on which side of I-95, the great enigmatic snow stopping barrier, you are.

Contributed by someone who lives less than 1/4 mile west of I-95.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
If by arbitrarily you mean they discounted "scientists" from Koch industries-type institutions with interest in confusing the incredibly naive, err, stupid supporters then yes they did this.
Bottom line is everyone knows global warming/climate change is real and directly impacted by humans.
If you don't see that, I have nothing more to say to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.