Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Why not see if you can get out tomorrow and spend 2 extra days in S Florida instead?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by mother-
Why not see if you can get out tomorrow and spend 2 extra days in S Florida instead?
Tomorrow is a crap shoot between the WX and the overloaded flights for those who called 5 hours ago and rebooked. Not sure there is much left on the flights that will go.

I'd drive NW and fly out of Syracuse or Buffalo if they will let you. Not sure driving South will be a good option. I strongly doubt anything goes from Monday PM til Wed PM out of the NYC area.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
Tomorrow is a crap shoot between the WX and the overloaded flights for those who called 5 hours ago and rebooked. Not sure there is much left on the flights that will go.

I'd drive NW and fly out of Syracuse or Buffalo if they will let you. Not sure driving South will be a good option. I strongly doubt anything goes from Monday PM til Wed PM out of the NYC area.
or the New England Area as well.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:04 pm

I'm in MIA waiting for my flight to JFK right now and DL is offering $1000 in vouchers + 2 nights. They're saying that the earliest available flight is Tuesday afternoon. I'm guessing that flight is going to get cancelled.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLATPRO, KLM Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Hello! After years of getting useful advise on Flyertalk, it is time for me to post. My second leg back to the states tomorrow (Tuesday 27th) AMS>BOS has been cancelled and rebooked on AMS>DTW>BOS.
Should I rebook my entire trip originating from NBO and delay a day? I'm doubtful the 1540 departure from DTW will actually happen and wondering if I have better chance of getting to Logan from the states or AMS.

Last edited by Roadrunnar; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm Reason: Detail added.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by Roadrunnar
Hello! After years of getting useful advise on Flyertalk, it is time for me to post. My second leg back to the states tomorrow (Tuesday 27th) AMS>BOS has been cancelled and rebooked on AMS>DTW>BOS.
Should I rebook my entire trip originating from NBO and delay a day? I'm doubtful the 1540 departure from DTW will actually happen and wondering if I have better chance of getting to Logan from the states or AMS.
Unless you want to spend 2 nights in Detroit ?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLATPRO, KLM Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
KLM/DL made decision for me and just got notice they have rebooked me a day later.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Originally Posted by Roadrunnar
KLM/DL made decision for me and just got notice they have rebooked me a day later.
Roadrunnar, my guess is you'd have a better chance at getting to BOS via the USA vs AMS. Just note that BOS is supposed to get hit harder than NYC.

Also, welcome to FT! BTW, I believe I know you although we have never met. NYC marathoner??!?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by blahter
I'm in MIA waiting for my flight to JFK right now and DL is offering $1000 in vouchers + 2 nights. They're saying that the earliest available flight is Tuesday afternoon. I'm guessing that flight is going to get cancelled.
Wow! Wonder how that happened? All those snowbirds who would normally fly out later in the week decided to leave early to beat the storm ??

I'd take the cool $1k voucher and enjoy sunny S Florida with free hotel. HOLLUR!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:27 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
BOS-AMS already pro-actively cancelled for Monday and Tuesday!

Glad my (GUC) upgrade already cleared to return home BOS-AMS at the end of the week!

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Two questions...

I'm supposed to fly SLC-ATL-LGA on Tuesday morning. Since the first leg, SLC-ATL won't be affected by the storm, will they bother canceling my ticket, or will they let me just get stranded in ATL when they decide to cancel the ATL-LGA flight?

When I inevitably change my flights, do you think I can fly SLC-IAD and then take the Acela into NYC? Does the Acela run in snow storms? I never take trains so I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by HarryLime

I'm supposed to fly SLC-ATL-LGA on Tuesday morning. Since the first leg, SLC-ATL won't be affected by the storm, will they bother canceling my ticket, or will they let me just get stranded in ATL when they decide to cancel the ATL-LGA flight?
I would proactively get online and change your reservation since it appears the entire NYC area will be closed (United Airlines cancelled ALL their flights on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 for LGA/EWR/JFK, PHL, BOS. Let's repeat that again: UAL cancelled ALL flights for LGA/EWR/JFK/PHL/BOS. Yes you are on Delta Airlines but would expect the airports throughout the region to close.

20" of snow + 50+ MPH wind.

Originally Posted by HarryLime
Does the Acela run in snow storms?
Do not expect Amtrak to run - they do not want 100's of passengers trapped on an Amtrak train heading inbound to NYC (especially with so much advance notice that this blizzard to heading to the northeast).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Do not expect Amtrak to run - they do not want 100's of passengers trapped on an Amtrak train heading inbound to NYC (especially with so much advance notice that this blizzard to heading to the northeast).
One issue Amtrak (and every one else involved) will have to deal with is downed wires --

Consumers Power has already announced they are sending 150 people from Michigan to help with the recovery

Bob H
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Delta's meteorology is decidedly more conservative than the gloom and doom forecast of many in the public. And it has benefited them more than several times. Having said that, I expect an advisory this afternoon.
Is conservative a synonym for day late and a dollar short? I still find it hard to forgive Delta for Snowpocalypse 2009 in which every other airline had weather waivers in effect days in advance and Delta waited till day of. How does an airline benefit by stranding passengers?

What's the big deal anyway? Either there are empty seats to accommodate rebooking or not. It's not like a finger is lifted and extra stages are added.

Last edited by hazelrah; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:22 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by bowdenj
I would proactively get online and change your reservation since it appears the entire NYC area will be closed (United Airlines cancelled ALL their flights on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 for LGA/EWR/JFK, PHL, BOS. Let's repeat that again: UAL cancelled ALL flights for LGA/EWR/JFK/PHL/BOS. Yes you are on Delta Airlines but would expect the airports throughout the region to close.

20" of snow + 50+ MPH wind.

When B6 shuts down JFK AND BOS, that means .... has really hit the fan. They did that last year with the cold snap, and right after it happened, AA (who I was flying), and others canceled all (or most) BOS flights. Rebooked me to the next day(Wed), but I sweet talked my way into leaving BOS Saturday and she also gave me a bump to MCE.

Also, got a friend flying BOS-JFK-CDG-FLR (JFK-CDG-FLR on AF, did it for the A380 and segments). He got rebooked to Wed on BOS-CDG-FLR and is pissed. Can't say I didnt warn him :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.