Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
Delta just cancelled Tuesday morning's flight 2531 BOS-LAX. They've rerouted me BOS-JAX-ATL-LAX.

Ugh...
Think of all the extra miles you'll get.

Oh, wait.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HarryLime
I'm supposed to fly SLC-ATL-LGA on Tuesday morning. Since the first leg, SLC-ATL won't be affected by the storm, will they bother canceling my ticket, or will they let me just get stranded in ATL when they decide to cancel the ATL-LGA flight?
Depends on when they cancel the second flight. For Sandy, they canceled my second flight (into NYC) and let me rebook pretty much what I wanted. (I was supposed to connect in ATL, I asked them to fly me to MSP for personal reasons and they did, sending me on to NYC when they started flying again.)

When I inevitably change my flights, do you think I can fly SLC-IAD and then take the Acela into NYC? Does the Acela run in snow storms? I never take trains so I'm not sure how it works.
Trains are more likely to run than planes, but there's no guarantee.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roadrunnar
Hello! After years of getting useful advise on Flyertalk, it is time for me to post. My second leg back to the states tomorrow (Tuesday 27th) AMS>BOS has been cancelled and rebooked on AMS>DTW>BOS.
Should I rebook my entire trip originating from NBO and delay a day? I'm doubtful the 1540 departure from DTW will actually happen and wondering if I have better chance of getting to Logan from the states or AMS.
In general, you have a much better chance to get there from closer in (especially since you can get to any of several airports and go by ground, where AMS doesn't have flights to those).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:57 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by sethb
Depends on when they cancel the second flight. For Sandy, they canceled my second flight (into NYC) and let me rebook pretty much what I wanted. (I was supposed to connect in ATL, I asked them to fly me to MSP for personal reasons and they did, sending me on to NYC when they started flying again.)

Trains are more likely to run than planes, but there's no guarantee.
Wouldn't recommend the train. Last time they had something like this it was a nightmare.... frozen overhead wire, down trees, blowing snow, wheel slip, frozen brakes, vent clogs, speed reductions... all things that can and will go wrong.

It will be a test for the cities sprinter (new locos) though...

I dont think much will be running in and out of BOS until Wed at the earliest.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Wouldn't recommend the train. Last time they had something like this it was a nightmare.... frozen overhead wire, down trees, blowing snow, wheel slip, frozen brakes, vent clogs, speed reductions... all things that can and will go wrong.

It will be a test for the cities sprinter (new locos) though...

I dont think much will be running in and out of BOS until Wed at the earliest.
I believe Sethb's comment was correct and contained a caveat. There are no guarantees in a situation like this, though the trains are better than planes. Even so one can expect delays and service disruption with the trains.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:12 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I believe Sethb's comment was correct and contained a caveat. There are no guarantees in a situation like this, though the trains are better than planes. Even so one can expect delays and service disruption with the trains.
Ooops I think you are right! Stupid internet

I just remember last year early January they canceled everything after 12 inches... was a mess at South Station. I still dont remember how I even got into boston that day.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:28 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm on DL16 LAX-JFK. It looks like were gonna get out! Last flight into JFK DM line said before the storm hits. Just boarding now. I wonder if were actually gonna land in NYC
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by AirTheory
I'm on DL16 LAX-JFK. It looks like were gonna get out! Last flight into JFK DM line said before the storm hits. Just boarding now. I wonder if were actually gonna land in NYC
wow. divert to PA instead seems likely. Kind of surprised they're getting that in.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by bowdenj
I would proactively get online and change your reservation since it appears the entire NYC area will be closed (United Airlines cancelled ALL their flights on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 for LGA/EWR/JFK, PHL, BOS. Let's repeat that again: UAL cancelled ALL flights for LGA/EWR/JFK/PHL/BOS. Yes you are on Delta Airlines but would expect the airports throughout the region to close.
Thanks for the info. Delta hasn't given me a single alert/e-mail/call about anything yet. I just called up and they said my ATL-LGA hasn't even been delayed yet, but it's probably next in line to be. They put me on a direct SLC to JFK for tomorrow morning, which will, of course, probably be cancelled, but at least I won't be stuck in ATL (I have friends in SLC and am currently at the St. Regis so I'd much rather get stuck here )
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:44 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
still doesn't look that bad according to the FAA:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/nemap.jsp

But, that doesn't mean flights to/from aren't being cancelled.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Face it everyone. Once this storm starts to ramp up, nothing will be moving from Philadelphia to Boston. All airports will be closed, trains cannot run, and the highways will be a mess. I would not be at all surprised to hear of states closing the interstates during the worst of the storm.

The snow totals alone would be bad enough, but there will also be serious wind and coastal flooding. I think it is reasonable to assume that airports will be closed from Monday evening through at least through Wednesday noon, perhaps later farther north. Amtrak will almost certainly not run north of Philadelphia on Tuesday.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by HarryLime
Thanks for the info. Delta hasn't given me a single alert/e-mail/call about anything yet. I just called up and they said my ATL-LGA hasn't even been delayed yet, but it's probably next in line to be. They put me on a direct SLC to JFK for tomorrow morning, which will, of course, probably be cancelled, but at least I won't be stuck in ATL (I have friends in SLC and am currently at the St. Regis so I'd much rather get stuck here )
Given that your flight tomorrow is almost certain to be cancelled, wouldn't it make more sense to rebook for late Wednesday or even Thursday?

During Snowpocalypse 2009 my Friday flight was cancelled and I rebooked on Fridayfor the following Monday. This particular snowstorm hit the mid-atlantic hardest. BWI was closed on Saturday and did not even begin to reopen till Sunday afternoon. Delta only started to bring flights in (no departures) late Sunday.

I got to BWI Monday morning and oh the humanity. 2 1/2 days of hapless people from cancelled flights in line. See what I mean? Why book on to what in essence is probably going to be a a cancelled flight? Everyone else is going to being doing the same and Wedneday and Thursday flights are already booking up?

Last edited by hazelrah; Jan 26, 2015 at 11:12 am
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold
ATL-PHL Tues 27th a.m.

Friend is on an early am flight tomorrow which hasn't been cancelled yet (at least, isn't showing on flight status). Any idea if, or when, this flight (and others tomorrow) will be cancelled? TIA
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ScrodmanFL
still doesn't look that bad according to the FAA:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/nemap.jsp
It wasn't bad this morning here in NYC. But now the snow's coming down pretty heavily, so I suspect that map is going to change soon.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by luvthesun
Friend is on an early am flight tomorrow which hasn't been cancelled yet (at least, isn't showing on flight status). Any idea if, or when, this flight (and others tomorrow) will be cancelled? TIA
The National Weather Service is forecasting heavy snow into Philadelphia tonight and tomorrow (4-8 inches tonight and 3-7 inches tomorrow).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.