Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN
More central idea: "Why should I tolerate discomfort just for you to have the superfluous pleasure of recline"? Last time I checked, it was a 100% you-win-I-lose scenario, and isn't accepting that type of scenario just the pits? It is exactly like the smoking issue on planes not that long ago, one faction wins, the other loses.
You are 100% right.
Not reclining is a win-win for everyone involved. Everyonr can be comfortable and everyone can use their tray table.
Once someone reclines it becomes a win-lose situation. The person behind will have very limited use of their tray table and most likely wont be able to open their laptop enough to use it.

The little bit of recline is not going to make anyone more comfortable. If you are uncomfortable on an airplane then you will still be uncomfortable even if you recline two inches. It would be best if no seats had recline.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
You are 100% right.
Not reclining is a win-win for everyone involved. Everyonr can be comfortable and everyone can use their tray table.
Once someone reclines it becomes a win-lose situation. The person behind will have very limited use of their tray table and most likely wont be able to open their laptop enough to use it.

The little bit of recline is not going to make anyone more comfortable. If you are uncomfortable on an airplane then you will still be uncomfortable even if you recline two inches. It would be best if no seats had recline.
I totally disagree. The little bit of recline helps make me FAR more comfortable for a flight. Even at 6'2" the tray can still be opened, too.

I fear the 1% of flyers who prefer there to be no recline for anyone are making the loudest noise these days.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I totally disagree. The little bit of recline helps make me FAR more comfortable for a flight. Even at 6'2" the tray can still be opened, too.

I fear the 1% of flyers who prefer there to be no recline for anyone are making the loudest noise these days.
Agreed. I'm 6'2'' and reclining makes a dramatic comfort difference. I can deal with non-recline on a 52 minute Vueling/EasyJet/Ryanair flight.

3,4,5 hours around the U.S.? God forbid an equipment swap on a transcon/TATL? Not even close to acceptable.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Agreed. I'm 6'2'' and reclining makes a dramatic comfort difference. I can deal with non-recline on a 52 minute Vueling/EasyJet/Ryanair flight.

3,4,5 hours around the U.S.? God forbid an equipment swap on a transcon/TATL? Not even close to acceptable.
AMEN!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Nobody PAYS for recline, some seats have it and some don't. But nobody pays for recline.
Your fare includes a seat that reclines. The few that don't recline are restricted for only two reasons -- rear bulkhead seats, and exit rows.

That's nonsense.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Just like everyone had a "right" to smoke on flights at one time (the airlines provided ashtrays in the armrests, quite near the recline button), we shall see where the odious "right" to recline a seat feature ends up eventually. How long till we hear: "Daddy, you mean once people on planes were able to mash the knees of those behind them?"
Well, equal chance they take away the pesky tray tables. That would free up extra room for those legs.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Your fare includes a seat that reclines. The few that don't recline are restricted for only two reasons -- rear bulkhead seats, and exit rows.

That's nonsense.
Glad to see the other 99% who appreciate a bit of seat recline are joining me and speaking up, too! Otherwise, it's too easy for the 1% herein--who seem to think seat recline is a problem for all--to believe they are the majority opinion. There's a reason why so few people fly the few budget airlines without seat recline.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

To be fair, the recliner was 100% wrong. You have the right to use your tray table.
People need to be able to use their flight time for work.
People use their tray tables for working, laptops, sleeping, and food. It is wrong to prevent someone from using their tray table by reclining.
I really hope this will be the end of reclining seats.
I fly a lot for work and I never need to recline, I dont see the point.

Just yesterday I saw a bad reclining incident.
I was on United from ORD to IAH.
The women next to me had a pillow on her tray table, wearing a mask, and was dead asleep for about 30 minutes.
The jerk in front reclined hard right into her head.
She was in pain for and was about to cry, I felt really bad. No one should have to get their head bashed in because they are sleeping on the tray table.
I once had incident where I had to ask the person to not recline and they complied. I was using my laptop and when they reclined I could not open my laptop screen enough to see it. I was not going to waste 2 hours of work time just so someone could recline. That would be really stupid.

I really, really hope airlines take out the reclining feature from seats. Too many people need to use their tray table.
You seem pretty entitled...you feel entitled to be able to work while the person in front of you should NOT be able to use his paid seat to sleep so you can do what you want to do....you buddy are the problem.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011

+1
I'm 6'4 (with most of it in my legs, to boot) yet I accept that part of flying is the person in front of me can recline. To me, that space is "Shared" space, just as the overhead bin is shared space. I try to get seats with extra legroom (bulkhead, exit row, or EC) as much as possible for the extra legroom and comfort, but if I can deal with it, just about anyone else should be able to deal with it. These whiners on here need to get over it.

Originally Posted by tvnwz
Well, equal chance they take away the pesky tray tables. That would free up extra room for those legs.
That would make more sense. When's the last time anyone got a meal on a domestic flight in the US? Put one of those small cup holders in the back of the seat and get rid of the tray table. Wouldn't bother me one bit.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:05 pm

It is 100% wrong to expect the person behind you to not use their tray table just so you can recline two inches.

That is selfish and ignorant.
What if THEY are tired and need the sleep? What if THEY need it to relieve stress on their back? What if THEY want to relax and that 2" provides just what THEY need.

Nope all that matters is what YOU want to do.

Got it!

LOL!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
If I don't pay for a reclining seat, your certainly not paying for a laptop work station. Last time I checked, as far the design is concerned, the tray table is for food and drinks. Your off-label use of the tray table doesn't mean i should be uncomfortable.

Obviously, the "I shouldn't have to be uncomfortable so you can be/do X" is a very common argument used by both sides. And it certainly goes both ways...

I think most pax believe (right or wrong) that reclining their seat is a right as opposed to a privilege.

But until they get rid of that little round button, ill be reclining my seat (slowly and politely as possible) as soon as the wheels lift.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
It is 100% wrong to expect the person behind you to not use their tray table just so you can recline two inches.

That is selfish and ignorant.
If you can't use your tray table because the person in front of you reclines two inches, your problem is that you've had too many Big Macs and Whoppers and too little exercise.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:25 pm

^+10000 for recline and doing it slowly

^+10000 for letting the pax behind you know in advance

^+10000 get rid of the tray tables in coach, put in a drink holder

-10000000000 for airlines that can't design a seat that reclines and still stays in place, on tracks--if my Barcalounger can do it, so, too, can an airline seat
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:25 pm
Suspended

To be fair, the recliner was 100% wrong. You have the right to use your tray table.
People need to be able to use their flight time for work.
People use their tray tables for working, laptops, sleeping, and food. It is wrong to prevent someone from using their tray table by reclining.
I really hope this will be the end of reclining seats.
I fly a lot for work and I never need to recline, I dont see the point.

Just yesterday I saw a bad reclining incident.
I was on United from ORD to IAH.
The women next to me had a pillow on her tray table, wearing a mask, and was dead asleep for about 30 minutes.
The jerk in front reclined hard right into her head.
She was in pain for and was about to cry, I felt really bad. No one should have to get their head bashed in because they are sleeping on the tray table.
I once had incident where I had to ask the person to not recline and they complied. I was using my laptop and when they reclined I could not open my laptop screen enough to see it. I was not going to waste 2 hours of work time just so someone could recline. That would be really stupid.

I really, really hope airlines take out the reclining feature from seats. Too many people need to use their tray table.
You like to work and never sleep or use the recline on your seat...so you therefore assume that it should be true for everyone else. That is, by definition, self-serving. And selfish.

I think you will discover that you are in the distinct minority. Most people appreciate a little recline because it makes the seats slightly more comfortable--whether for sitting, sleeping, or whatever they might prefer to do. Many people have reclined in front of me and I am still able to use the tray table to eat or work...and I am 6'2".

The option to recline is nice to have for most passengers. You are entitled to disagree. You are entitled to want it to be different because it works best for you. But your assumption that it is better for everyone else simply because it is better for you is fairly ridiculous.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
As far as taking away the "recline" feature, as some have suggested, how well would that work on Transcons, TATLs or TPACs? I'm going to go with "not very well at all."

Unhappily, we live in a narcissistic, entitled culture these days (and that can apply to both sides of this particular debate).
The seats are in and have been in for decades with recline. This is now accepted as a standard offering--for good or bad.

I think we will discover in any survey of all people or even most business travelers that most prefer to have the slight recline rather than none at all. It's just that simple. Those budget carriers that do not offer any recline whatsoever are considered budget for a reason.

If you don't like someone to recline in front of you, then it is your responsibility to ticket early enough so that you can get the bulkhead seats or the exit row seats that don't have reclining seats in front...or pay for E+ or premium seating so you have more room when they do. The option exists for these seats already to serve the likely minority who do not like recline in front of them.

For everyone else, we are happy there are slight reclines available in most seats. We somehow have managed to deal with people reclining in front of us for decades without it being a big issue.

Let's not be confused by the actions of a small, vocal, and sometimes rude minority that think they are entitled to their seat space without letting someone reclining in front of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.