FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1607895-yet-another-flight-diverted-over-reclining-seat-time-delta.html)

Marilu Sep 2, 2014 3:55 am

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A Delta Airlines flight from LaGuardia to Palm Beach International Airport had to be diverted to Jacksonville due to an unruly passenger dispute.

twtrvl Sep 2, 2014 5:32 am

It must be contagious.

koreanair720 Sep 2, 2014 5:56 am

Originally Posted by twtrvl (Post 23460365)
It must be contagious.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but I think you're on to something. This kind of behavior has apparently "gone viral." Unfortunately.

injera Sep 2, 2014 6:13 am

I love the comments that say "this is the fault of the airlines....if they didnt squeeze us in to cramped seats then these issues wouldnt happen"

No sir, "the cramped seats are the fault of the consumer." If the majority of consumers values additional legroom vs a token savings then airlines would have no problem providing more legroom.

Also, if space is so critical, buy EC or F.

clr4t8koff Sep 2, 2014 6:15 am

These diversions can't be cheap for the airlines. Though perhaps after enough of them maybe the airlines will make changes to their sardine cans, aka - coach/economy cabins. I can keep hoping, right?

injera Sep 2, 2014 6:19 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff (Post 23460505)
These diversions can't be cheap for the airlines. Though perhaps after enough of them maybe the airlines will make changes to their sardine cans, aka - coach/economy cabins. I can keep hoping, right?

As long as consumers choose to save $10 over having more legroom then the sardine cans will continue or get even tighter.

koreanair720 Sep 2, 2014 6:27 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff (Post 23460505)

er...you may be right, but I suspect the only "enhancement" would be to make it so the seats can't recline

tom_MN Sep 2, 2014 6:28 am

As a tall person who never reclines, I prefer to see these disputes continue so the reclining feature is eventually removed.

Often1 Sep 2, 2014 6:34 am

Monkey see, monkey do. Until there are some real and public consequences for those who force diversions, self-centered people will continue to force them.

It won't take more than 1-2 people being arrested and prosecuted and then sued by their air carrier for the cost of the diversion and this too will end.

Remember, back when people made stupid jokes about hijackings to Cuba (for a while, until the carriers and cops took it seriously).

hazelrah Sep 2, 2014 6:38 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720 (Post 23460552)
er...you may be right, but I suspect the only "enhancement" would be to make it so the seats can't recline

That probably should have happened when the airlines reduced average seat pitch from 33"-34" to now standard 31"

tom_MN Sep 2, 2014 6:41 am

I don't think that screaming and swearing is unexpected or unreasonable behavior for a sleeping person who had just had a seat reclined on her head.

HDQDD Sep 2, 2014 6:54 am

There's been studies that show if you put enough rats into a cage they will fight. We are beginning to reach that level with humans.

I won't attempt to blame the carriers, or the cost minded pax. But I will say this: If enough people keep acting like inmates, they'll start treating everyone like inmates.

I, for one, wouldn't mind if they removed the recline feature on domestic flights. The only time I really use it is when the person in front of me reclines.

Boltman519 Sep 2, 2014 6:55 am

Thing is it's not just Y. I was sitting in 3B on a A320 and i'm not a tall guy but that seat came back and got my knees. Then when I tried to pull out my tray from the arm rest I couldn't even put it down as the seat was so far back. Once I did get it down with help from the FA working on my laptop was near impossible with the seat so far back I had to work with the screen folded down partially. Obviously the airlines gave us what we wanted, cheaper air travel, at the expense of space and comfort but when a F seat has issue with personally space I think takes it to far.

tonypct Sep 2, 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 23460654)
There's been studies that show if you put enough rats into a cage they will fight. We are beginning to reach that level with humans.

I won't attempt to blame the carriers, or the cost minded pax. But I will say this: If enough people keep acting like inmates, they'll start treating everyone like inmates.

I, for one, wouldn't mind if they removed the recline feature on domestic flights. The only time I really use it is when the person in front of me reclines.

Ditto! ^

rstlsgirl Sep 2, 2014 6:58 am

Originally Posted by tom_MN (Post 23460604)
I don't think that screaming and swearing is unexpected or unreasonable behavior for a sleeping person who had just had a seat reclined on her head.

I have to disagree. There is no universe in which screaming and swearing in public, much less on an airplane, is ever, ever okay. Unless what you're screaming about is a hole in the side of the plane, use a little decorum. That's what being a grown up is about.