Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by SoCal
Wow, people have conducted thorough surveys. 98%? With seats adjoining emergency rows not able to recline, you obviously determined that everyone reclines their seats. By the same amount? If I recline mine, I do it partially. We now pay to fly biz class on long international flights. Completely lie-flat seats are the best.
Yes, that is what I have noticed. And if you partially recline yours, you have still reclined your seat. My last 3 TATLs were in biz thanks to GUC. I bet I paid a lot less than you too.

Last edited by yohanson; Sep 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Genetk44
You seem pretty entitled...you feel entitled to be able to work while the person in front of you should NOT be able to use his paid seat to sleep so you can do what you want to do....you buddy are the problem.
+10
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
You are lying about using a laptop and you are calling people fat for fun when if they were fat it has nothing to do with opening their screen completely while using their tray table.
Well I have used my laptop, while perhaps more cramped and uncomfortably, even when the person in front of me has reclined. I've also simply moved it to my lap and worked on it there rather than using a tray table.

And you're calling people "selfish" and "ignorant". So quite frankly, you trying to lecture people on being "mean" and "negative" is about as credible as Bill Clinton or Mark Sanford trying to lecture us on "how to stay faithful in your marriage". Coming from you after what you've posted just isn't going to hold water.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:48 pm

Well, since everyone is pretty much in agreement on the reclining issue we can probably close this topic.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Glad to see the other 99% who appreciate a bit of seat recline are joining me and speaking up, too! Otherwise, it's too easy for the 1% herein--who seem to think seat recline is a problem for all--to believe they are the majority opinion. There's a reason why so few people fly the few budget airlines without seat recline.
You do know that 99.9% of percents are made up on the spot on the internet don't you. Sort of like your 99/1 split. You really have no clue.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz-Carlton Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Gold 5 Star, etc.
Originally Posted by tom_MN
Well, since everyone is pretty much in agreement on the reclining issue we can probably close this topic.
Please give FlyDeltaJets87 an opportunity first to reply to my inquiry.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by KATL
Please give FlyDeltaJets87 an opportunity first to reply to my inquiry.
Well if you weren't referring to working on the laptop as it relates to reclining the seat, than that was a poor assumption on my part and I apologize.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Genetk44
Well since you are obviously aware of the potential danger it is hardly a disaster waiting to occur...or otherwise.
It is if you're even remotely distracted and rather than lowering the seat slowly someone drops it in your lap...Just as someone else has the right to recline their seat, I too have a right to a seat I purchased with a functional tray table and the ability to work on the plane.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:56 pm

Funny.

But really, why do posts about news reports of crazy passengers forcing emergency landings always degenerate into reclining wars?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
What I love are elitist free marketeers who believe that consumers have a real choice.

I also love the conflation of economic and psychological issues which pull in opposing directions.

Without regard to price, if you cram enough living bodies into a small enough space, mayhem will result...and it is playing out on an ever more frequent basis at 37,000 feet. That should be frightening to all.

For the airlines and those privileged few who rarely have to contend with E-, it may be a purely economic equation. My hope is that regulators begin to take a harder look at the psychological side and assist with the carriers' math.

(I take no side in the recliner vs. don't recline battle which is really beside the point.)

--mcz

Originally Posted by injera
I love the comments that say "this is the fault of the airlines....if they didnt squeeze us in to cramped seats then these issues wouldnt happen"

No sir, "the cramped seats are the fault of the consumer." If the majority of consumers values additional legroom vs a token savings then airlines would have no problem providing more legroom.

Also, if space is so critical, buy EC or F.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz-Carlton Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Gold 5 Star, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Well if you weren't referring to working on the laptop as it relates to reclining the seat, than that was a poor assumption on my part and I apologize.
Apology accepted. I was on topic but before you came out guns blazin' I had mentioned when I need to work on my laptop during flight i'm sure to sit up front for everyone's sake. PS wish the Pats could have won at-least one of those two Super Bowls.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
So if only 1% want to recline, why do 10% end up doing so?
You dont know what saracasm is? That was in response to people lying saying that only 1% dont recline.
I then said that only 1% recline as clear sarcasm.

Then I said that if you look around on a plane the most you will see reclining is like 10%. Those of us who fly see this all the time. We see that most people do not recline.

Originally Posted by gooselee
I don't usually do a count of reclining pax each time I board a plane, but just from my memory of how often the seat directly in front of me is reclined, I'd venture to say that at least 30%-40% of people recline, and the percentage goes up the longer the flight is.

LOL. Having "known" FlyDeltaJets87 through his FT posts for a little while, this first statement is just hilarious.

In response to your bolded question, why should you be able to dictate someone else's seating position just so you can more comfortably work on your laptop? You could, of course, put your laptop on your lap. Even in F with the person in front of me sitting fully upright, I actually find that position to be far more comfortable than bouncing my laptop around on the flimsy tray table that was only intended to hold half its weight.

You know, you're right. They COULD care less.

I think you'll find that a great number of people that recline realize how cramped an airplane cabin is, and they care very much about how their actions might impact others, so when they do recline, they do so slowly and/or acknowledge the person behind them, so that they can adjust their laptop, head, whatever in advance of the reclining seat back.
That guy is just mean. He thinks it is funny to call people fat and to say all the problems they have are because they are fat.
User FlyDeltaJets87 is just being mean and probably violating the rules of this site with his hate speech.
Reclining your seat does legitly makes it so those behind you cannot get full use of their tray table and in most cases prevents them from using their laptops. To prevent someone from using their laptop for 2 hours is just wrong.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
With well over 400 flights logged, I'm far from "new" to flying.
You're still a plebe, I have that in the last three and a half years and you can add 25 years to the front of that with the same kind of frequency.

BTW people use laptops for entertainment also, not just work.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Actually, sounds like it's time to add a poll to this thread. A simple yes/no on whether reclining should be allowed should be adequate.

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
To prevent someone from using their laptop for 2 hours is just wrong.
It's not wrong. You just don't like it.

When I'm traveling in coach with my large laptop, I can work with it in my lap if it comes to that.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Start arresting all parties and fine them. Publicize this and the viral behavior will stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.