Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another flight diverted over reclining seat, this time Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
Anyone that wants to prevent someone else on the airplane from using their laptop is too immature to fly. They need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that they need to share the space on the airplane. There is 0 reason to recline if it will prevent someone from using a laptop.
Why would you want to stop someone from using their laptop and doing work??
Why stop someone from trying to save time by working on the airplane so they can have a life outside of work??
How about, I don't care if you can use your laptop? If you were competent as an adult human being, you could even if I recline. (I know, because I can even if the person in front of me reclines.)

Your claims about there being no reason to recline have already been refuted multiple times. It is more comfortable for me. You don't get to choose what I find more comfortable.

Finally, your "life outside of work" appears to be trolling on this thread.

Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by WisMan
This comment is so ridiculous. So, due to the OP physical limitations, he has to arrange a special seat in the airplane just so the guy in front can recline? Doesn't the airline have a responsibility to ensure its product is fit for use by the public?

That is a very selfish stance and does not reflect well on the person who even attempted to make this argument. Seems like a DYKWIA to me.
What?
The OP made no such assertion. The OP merely mentioned the news article. See:

Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
For some reason this thread has had more legs than most on this type of subject. Hope the IBTL boys were not holding their breath.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
..I almost got into a fight once because the guy in front of my kept trying to recline the seat back into my knees because the seat couldn't fully recline because of my knees. He kept slamming it back and I said "dude, there's nowhere for my knees to go" and his response was "I didn't design the plane and I paid for a seat that reclines."...
The pax was right and your were mildly overentitled. He should not slam the seatrest backward of course but the status quo is that reclining seats are yours to use.

I really like how consistent Asian carriers explain and enforce the rules - wheels up is when you can recline and for the meals you have to move them upright. But then they offer 32" of legroom ...
Originally Posted by tom_MN
This is a false statement, the price for coach seats that recline and those that don't is exactly the same, i.e the seats in front of the toilets in the back row or the exit rows (seats that don't recline) cost the same as those that do recline.
While one could discuss this - in the context of elite status and the better seats - it isn't really relevant here. The pax paid for a seat and that seat offers recline.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
It is somewhat amusing (and bemusing) that all these people who have different opinions (and yes, they ARE opinions) think by stridently writing to each other they make their point more correct.

You are not going to convince each other. You are not going to convince others. But it is amusing seeing the same arguments repeated over and over and over. I am almost ready to start a betting pool to see how long the thread will last until a) the mods finally close it, or; b) the antagonists tire each other out.

Let the games continue!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
The only thing missing here is Michael Jackson and his popcorn!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
Anyone that wants to prevent someone else on the airplane from using their laptop is too immature to fly.
While I find it hard to believe that you are not indulging in some funny role play here, I take your post at face value for the moment:
Of course I would not want to prevent you from working on the flight. You'd even have my sympathy for the inconvenience that the reclining does causes you ... just not enough to not recline.
I work, sleep, eat, relax much better when reclined and that paired with being provided with a seat that reclines far outweighs your desire to have space you didn't pay for and weren't granted.
It is sad that there are people like you that cant share or live with other humans. So sad.
Where's the problem exactly? You want them not to do something that is theirs and they tell you no. No biggie. At worst you work a bit less on that flight.
..They need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that they need to share the space on the airplane.
But they do realise that ... if you succeed in bullying them not to recline that is a small victory for you, I give you that. Wouldn't work on me. I would polite give you a minute to re-arrange your goodies and then the seat back comes down. No amount of opinion or level of disagreement will change that.
There is 0 reason to recline if it will prevent someone from using a laptop...
Why would you want to stop someone from using their laptop and doing work??
Why stop someone from trying to save time by working on the airplane so they can have a life outside of work??
You cannot possibly be serious. No one is reclining solely for the purpose that you cannot work. People want / have to / enjoy to recline despite it impedes you hacking away on your keyboard.

I agree with others that the people with bad backs and those with bad knees will not win each other over in such a debate. But the status quo is that recline is offered making the non-recline faction a vocal minority which is only catered for by a few carriers.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by sethb
Finally, your "life outside of work" appears to be trolling on this thread.
At this point, I'd be shocked if COMMONC3NTS even had a job or lived somewhere other than his/her parents' basement. And if COMMONC3NTS actually does have a job, I wonder how he/she hasn't been fired for incompetence - if COMMONC3NTS can't figure out how to work on a laptop when the airplane seat in front of him/her is reclined, I have to wonder what other simple tasks COMMONC3NTS is incapable of figuring out or performing at work when not on a plane. Also, if COMMONC3NTS treats co-workers the same way he/she addresses people on here (calling them "selfish", "ignorant", "jerks"), I can't imagine he/she is very pleasant to work with.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Sep 4, 2014 at 5:21 am Reason: Typos
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by weero
I agree with others that the people with bad backs and those with bad knees will not win each other over in such a debate. But the status quo is that recline is offered making the non-recline faction a vocal minority which is only catered for by a few carriers.
I'd say recline being offered is more a result of the carriers not carefully considering its effects on personal space when they decided to add another row in. Designers/Engineers likely thought they could reduce room, add in some visual design tricks to trick our eyeballs, and profit. Removing the recline functionality during this change would have been more obvious to the pax.

It'd be interesting if there was any data on the number of pax conflicts over the years. I imagine it's only going to increase from here.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by VPsych
I'd say recline being offered is more a result of the carriers not carefully considering its effects on personal space when they decided to add another row in. Designers/Engineers likely thought they could reduce room, add in some visual design tricks to trick our eyeballs, and profit. Removing the recline functionality during this change would have been more obvious to the pax.

It'd be interesting if there was any data on the number of pax conflicts over the years. I imagine it's only going to increase from here.
That's a sure bet and a no brainer.
These things almost never happened on mainline in the 60s,70s and 80s when passengers had more space on aircraft.....

As has been pointed out in various forums..overcrowding,in any situation, increases stress and leads to higher levels of aggression. Besides the additional stress and aggravation pre-boarding, passengers are being nickel and dimed by the airlines for everything, services are being removed,and of course more people are being crammed into smaller spaces on more and more uncomfortable seats. It is a guarantee that more altercations will occur.
I predict you will see an uptick of these types of incidents on Canadian carriers also this winter now that Air Canada Rouge is cramming more people onto harder more uncomfortable 29 inch pitch seats with far less overhead storage and no seat back IFE to distract them.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by weero
I really like how consistent Asian carriers explain and enforce the rules - wheels up is when you can recline and for the meals you have to move them upright.
EK has pax bring up their seats during meals as well.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
At this point, I'd be shocked if COMMONC3NTS even had a job or lived somewhere other than his/her parents' basement. And if COMMONC3NTS actually does have a job, I wonder how he/she hasn't been fired for incompetence - if COMMONC3NTS can't figure out how to work on a laptop when the airplane seat in front of him/her is reclined, I have to wonder what other simple tasks COMMONC3NTS is incapable of figuring out or performing at work when not on a plane. Also, if COMMONC3NTS treats co-workers the same way he/she addresses people on here (calling them "selfish", "ignorant", "jerks"), I can't imagine he/she is very pleasant to work with.
I had a mild chuckle when he accused you of being the troll. Reminds me of a pot meeting a kettle...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yamaka
Let the games continue!
Until, like every recline-thred before it, the recline-rage bubbles over & explodes, the frustrated attacks turn personal and the mods lock it up.

Not unlike on recline-raging planes, come to think of it
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by VPsych
I'd say recline being offered is more a result of the carriers not carefully considering its effects on personal space when they decided to add another row in.
I don't think so. Sure I mostly fly longhaul and pretty much all people I know make gratuitous use of the recline function.

I myself would never fly on a carrier that did not offer recline but I agree that none of us has data on this.
&
Originally Posted by Genetk44
That's a sure bet and a no brainer.
These things almost never happened on mainline in the 60s,70s and 80s when passengers had more space on aircraft....
Not my experience. I get in a lot less recline feuds than I did when legroom was ample. We just read these things as crews get whimpish and divert a flight because a passenger demands it.

Frankly I don't buy the stories of tall people- while I am just 6'1," I sat with 6'5" folks in cramped seats and they suffered with dignity. And I had passengers in intl Business class kicking my seat really hard because they freaked when I reclined to sleep (two of them were fully reclined themselves).

If all recline, legroom changes immeasurably, this is not a debate about facts.
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
EK has pax bring up their seats during meals as well.
Yes. And while I don't like it, that's the compromise one has to accept.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have decided that it will be in the best interests of our members to permanently recline this thread as in my opinion nothing of value can be added to what already has been said.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.