Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
They would be too expensive to fly because of the pilots' scope clause that means they'd have to be flown by mainline pilots. US tried operating E195's with mainline pilots and that lasted for only a few years.
I wonder why the mainline DL pilots wouldn't just agree to a lower payscale for the E-195 or C-Series? It wouldn't be replacing any aircraft already in the fleet so it's not like any current DL pilots would be flying it anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
On the contrary, I believe Delta holds 50 options for the 787 in addition to the 20 on order.
Per their last SEC filing Delta has no 787 options.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
The announcement should come soon. The end of the month falls on a weekend, with the exception of the 31st. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They would be too expensive to fly because of the pilots' scope clause that means they'd have to be flown by mainline pilots. US tried operating E195's with mainline pilots and that lasted for only a few years.
I don't know about E195s, but US currently flies 20 E190s with mainline pilots, mostly on the East coast shuttle routes. It worked before the merger because US paid its E190 pilots substantially less than even jetBlue's non-union E190 pilots. Don't know whether they'll be retained now that those US E190 pilots have been give huge payraises to bring them up to AA's pilot contract payrates (along with all other US Airways pilots).

I wonder why the mainline DL pilots wouldn't just agree to a lower payscale for the E-195 or C-Series? It wouldn't be replacing any aircraft already in the fleet so it's not like any current DL pilots would be flying it anyway.
Several reasons. For one, mainline airline pilots' unions initially agreed to scope exceptions for small commuter aircraft, like the 37-50 seat RJs. They were very reluctant to permit their employers to outsource the CRJ700/E170/E175s, finally agreeing to a 76-seat limit, almost as many seats as the smallest mainline planes in the 1960s and 1970s (like DC-9s).

Another reason is that E195s would replace some recently-departed planes, like the DC-9s, and on some routes, the recently arrived 717s.

Yet another reason that mainline pilots likely won't agree to a B-scale for 100-seaters is that they are typically unwilling to be the only lower-paid mainline employees, as the FAs, mechanics, baggage handlers and agents aren't willing to take paycuts to work on 90 to100 seaters. At regional airlines, every employee is lower-paid, so no one workgroup is shouldering all the concessions.

At Delta, of course, there aren't any unions other than the pilots, so it's theoretically possible for Ma Delta to simply tell those other workgroups that they'll be paid less to work on E190s/E195s/C-Series, but they risk revolt and a surge of turnover by angry employees if they tried that. At worst, DL might risk another unionization card drive, which might succeed.

The pilots' view is that if 90-seaters or 100-seaters make economic sense for the mainline legacy airlines, then their hourly payrates won't change those favorable economics.

Originally Posted by firstmob
Per their last SEC filing Delta has no 787 options.
While true, it's not all that essential to have options on the books when your first firm orders aren't scheduled for delivery until 2020. By time DL gets its first 18 787s, Boeing might not have such a big backlog of 787 orders.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I would love to see Delta flying E-195's. The E-175 is the most comfortable aircraft DL operates (or rather operated for DL).
I think you talking about new E2 EMB190, E2 EMB195, and E2 EMB175, as well.

How about DL will order 40 E2 EMB 195 or E2 EMB175?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:06 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Well, I see where you're going with this, but RA said he was interested in the C-series, which is the same size. Unless he was talking about what he wants to see regional DL flying, not mainline.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cfw
Well, I see where you're going with this, but RA said he was interested in the C-series, which is the same size. Unless he was talking about what he wants to see regional DL flying, not mainline.
Actually, Republic/F9 has already order C-Series. They will delivery sometime in 2015 or so.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't know about E195s, but US currently flies 20 E190s with mainline pilots, mostly on the East coast shuttle routes. It worked before the merger because US paid its E190 pilots substantially less than even jetBlue's non-union E190 pilots. Don't know whether they'll be retained now that those US E190 pilots have been give huge payraises to bring them up to AA's pilot contract payrates (along with all other US Airways pilots).
I was thinking that they had gotten rid of all of them (you're right, they have E190's, not E195's), I believe they did get rid of some of them though, or did they back away from doing that and just redeploy them on the Shuttle routes instead? As you mention I believe that US got the pilots union to agree to a pretty low pay rate on those planes, but they are limited in how many they can have.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfw
The smallest C-Series is slightly larger than the E195, but it's important to remember that what that results in is the E195 should be the most efficient of its family while the smallest CSeries will be the least efficient of its family.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, Republic/F9 has already order C-Series. They will delivery sometime in 2015 or so.
The CS300 will not enter service before 2016 at this point, and the Republic/F9 'order' for them is a 50/50 proposition to come to fruition at best I believe.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
The E-195 and the E-190/CRJ900 already exist on the mainline pilot scale. (See e.g. http://www.willflyforfood.com/airlin...Air-Lines.html)

If DL wants to buy small jets and put them into the mainline fleet, they can start tomorrow (okay, not tomorrow, but as soon as they have fully trained pilots).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Some commentary on Boeing/Airbus looking at options to fill the gap between that RA was talking about...

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....p14-673444.xml
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:15 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Also from what I've heard from friends at B6, The E190's are absolutely atrocious for maintenance.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPGabe
Also from what I've heard from friends at B6, The E190's are absolutely atrocious for maintenance.
that's probably because B6 is maintaining them. Deltas tech ops is best in the business when it comes to maintenance.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
Ive been on more than one B6 E190 that was delayed due to maintenance. They are very comfortable, though.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

So, 'the end of the month' is very near. Unless they wait till Monday, there should be an announcement today or tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.