Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Tbut it sorta throws out RA's "we don't want experimental airplanes" mantra.
^ The man has shown us time and time again that he is not to be trusted. He also claimed he didn't want an aircraft that "over-performs" its intended mission. Using an A330 to replace a 767 is like replacing a Toyota Corolla with a GMC Yukon.

Are some of you really that dense that you can't see just how great of an aircraft the 767 is? Maybe, just maybe stop and look at the facts. Delta has been able to step in on routes such as ORD-CDG (replacing AF), EWR-CDG (replacing AF), EWR-AMS (replacing KLM), and LAX-LHR (replacing Virgin) using the 767. Do you wonder why? It's because the A330 is too big for AF, KLM, and Virgin to operate these routes. You just can't operate many markets with a near 300 seat aircraft.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Fact: Delta pushed back its delivery slots of 787s to 2020
Fact: Delta leased 88 Boeing 717s from Southwest/Airtran. The descendant of the fuel guzzling Mad Dog (that I believe they still 180+ of)
Fact: Delta was flying a DC-9 in 2014. A DC 9!!!!!!!!!

Obviously with a fleet of old, expensive to operate planes, they eventually need to replace them, and unless Allegiant wants to sell their fleet, they will be forced (kicking and screaming it would appear) into the present.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PLeblond
My comment was, indeed, quite generalized. I'll also admit that the 7372 are excellent.

I still can't get over buying the AirTran 717s. Plus still operating MD80s and operating a DC-9 into 2014. Then delaying the 787s. I guess I'm traumatized.
I'm pretty sure that the 717s came at a great discount, plus WN paid to convert the interiors to DL's standards. WN wanted them gone at any cost and DL was there to take advantage. Plus, they make a lot of sense for routes like ATL - SAV and other smaller cities that aren't too far from ATL.

IIRC, RA worked on the DC-9 life extension program at NW, so he took that lesson going forward and has kept planes for as long as possible. As long as they are safe and the interior is comfortable, I don't need to be on a brand new plane.

The original 787 delivery slots would have happened right during the merger, it was probably best to not add a new plane to the fleet at that time. I could see the 788's having a use on some of thinner missions that DL operates or for some SEA - Asia runs that the longer range is needed. We'll see in 6 years what happens with the deliveries.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm pretty sure that the 717s came at a great discount, plus WN paid to convert the interiors to DL's standards. WN wanted them gone at any cost and DL was there to take advantage. Plus, they make a lot of sense for routes like ATL - SAV and other smaller cities that aren't too far from ATL.

IIRC, RA worked on the DC-9 life extension program at NW, so he took that lesson going forward and has kept planes for as long as possible. As long as they are safe and the interior is comfortable, I don't need to be on a brand new plane.

The original 787 delivery slots would have happened right during the merger, it was probably best to not add a new plane to the fleet at that time. I could see the 788's having a use on some of thinner missions that DL operates or for some SEA - Asia runs that the longer range is needed. We'll see in 6 years what happens with the deliveries.
I understand the philosophy. Keep old planes longer, but older planes for really cheap and run them as long as possible.

It keeps acquisition and financing costs low and helps cashflow and debt/equity ratios, which Wall Street likes. The downside is increased fuel costs, higher maintenance costs and one would also assume higher level of maintenance related delays/cancellations, which wall street doesn't care as much about.

I just disagree with that philosophy. In my opinion it works well for charter operators and marginal LCC startups like Allegiant, not Mainline international airlines with a progressive vision.

But thats just me.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k
The difference is that Delta Tech Ops is quite good at keeping old birds flying (fairly) reliably. Big difference between them and an LCC or Charter.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Delta has said that the 350-900XWB will be the 747 replacement. The 350-900 has nearly 65 fewer seats then the 747. These flights will undoubtedly go out packed.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I understand the philosophy. Keep old planes longer, but older planes for really cheap and run them as long as possible.

It keeps acquisition and financing costs low and helps cashflow and debt/equity ratios, which Wall Street likes. The downside is increased fuel costs, higher maintenance costs and one would also assume higher level of maintenance related delays/cancellations, which wall street doesn't care as much about.

I just disagree with that philosophy. In my opinion it works well for charter operators and marginal LCC startups like Allegiant, not Mainline international airlines with a progressive vision.

But thats just me.
The old vehicle strategy works with me and my car. Even if I got a more fuel efficient car, I like having it paid off with no additional expenses. As long as maintenance costs and delays aren't too bad, it works quite well.

Plus, the cost of fuel has been going down, so the savings in buying less fuel isn't as great as predicted. Hey, they might be right in 5 - 10 years, but not right now.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Delta has said that the 350-900XWB will be the 747 replacement. The 350-900 has nearly 65 fewer seats then the 747. These flights will undoubtedly go out packed.
Maybe, but DL isn't looking to get a 747 load of people out to NRT and then disburse them around Asia. It's now going to be done from SEA. So, a 747 sized plane might have never been needed with the current strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.