Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Exactly my point... they would be cheap, which is what Delta usually chooses when it comes to buying planes.
Also, since DL has a ton of 763s, lots of pilots with 757/767 type ratings, and many of those pilots have many hours in 763s. If the planes are cheap and you have crew that are already trained to fly them, you can save a lot of money. The same argument can be made for A330s, though I don't know if they would be "cheaper" like the 763s might.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k
And fully trained mx crews, abundant spares, etc.

The A330 is in the same boat (aging design) but based on the order book it'll probably still be made for 5 or 6 more years, though the size of the discount on future orders is probably small. A NEO variant would theoretically have high operating/maintenance carryover, as well.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Exactly my point... they would be cheap, which is what Delta usually chooses when it comes to buying planes.
There's a huge difference in the economics of operating MD-90's and 717's on domestic short-haul flights and 744's on long-haul flights, just because used MD-90's and 717's work financially does not come close to meaning used 747's or 767's work financially.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
My problem with Airbus has nothing to with where they are built. I fly on plenty of Embraer (Brazil) and Bombardier/Candair (Canada) aircraft. Boeing has had it's problems but they acknowledge them and fix them. Airbus has never admitted that any of their aircraft have a flaw and instead sneak in changes under the guise of "performance enhancements" or blame a design flaw on pilot error (AA 587). There have been over 30 incidents of uncommanded rudder movements on Airbus A300/310 aircraft and Airbus turns a blind eye. I also don't care for their philosophy of a "flight protection system". News flash, their planes still crash. Limiting the pilot on what they can and can't do just doesn't sit well with me. Fed Ex 705 would have had a much more tragic ending had they been in an A330. The flight protection system would never have allowed the first officer to make those maneuvers. I'll stick to flying on the Boeing, MD, Embraers, and CRJ's. Hey, one less person on the upgrade list.
^ As a general rule, I've never cared for aircraft with flight systems that treated PIC inputs as "suggestions"
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Please explain that comment. How exactly am I being a hypocrite? The post you referenced was in regards to a user who seems to pop up anytime I make any reference to Boeing or Airbus. I don't follow anyone around waiting for them to comment on a particular subject. Again, please explain your comment.

Also, I'm not sure why people are defensive. I've said time after time that Airbus is not my preference and I give a reason why. I've never told anyone they wrong for disliking Boeing, MD, Embraer, or Bombardier.
There is a Boeing bias on FT, mainly because the majority of users are from the US. Every once in a while someone comes to praise Boeing and/or diss Airbus. The most common reason lately seems to be AF447 and how that might not have happened if the flight had been operated using a Boeing. It's a silly fallacy, but whatever... everyone is free to have a preference of aircraft.

Here is what I find to be hypocrisies:
1. You're praising Boeing for a reason that is not justified in my mind (because Boeing has also been late in addressing issues, e.g. 747 cargo door and UA811).
2. You are saying that someone is defending Airbus because they are from Europe, yet you are from the US and you are defending Boeing.
3. You are not sure why people are defensive, but you are also being defensive.

Please know that I mean no offense by any of this. It's your right to prefer one aircraft over another. Some people like Boeing, others prefer Airbus. There is little chance that someone will actually change their mind based on some FT discussion, so it may be wiser to just accept everyone's preference, regardless of their reasons or whether those reasons make sense.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by florin
Here is what I find to be hypocrisies:
1. You're praising Boeing for a reason that is not justified in my mind (because Boeing has also been late in addressing issues, e.g. 747 cargo door and UA811).
2. You are saying that someone is defending Airbus because they are from Europe, yet you are from the US and you are defending Boeing.
3. You are not sure why people are defensive, but you are also being defensive.
1. Better late than never. I've never excused Boeing from any engineering defects. I've never heard of Airbus admitting to a problem. Only "oh, we are going to make an update...".

2. I turned that question on them because someone else threw the "oh, you're from the US..." argument at me even though I clearly stated I have no problem with Embraer or Bombardier. For some reason everyone seems to forget about those two aircraft manufacturers.

3. Yes, the user who started this debate claimed that the only reason some of us don't like Airbus is because we are simply defending US manufacturing. For me, nothing could be further from the truth. Europe, Asia, etc. deliever many goods that are far superior to those built in the US. However, I have never attacked a user for liking Airbus. Plenty have rolled their eyes at me for not caring for Airbus though. I don't want an engineer having the final say on flight control inputs. I want the pilots to have that decision.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How about DL will order 25 77W, 40 A350-900XWB, and 20 A350-1000XWB? 787 Dreamliners is not a options.

How does sound like that?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
How about DL will order 25 77W, 40 A350-900XWB, and 20 A350-1000XWB? 787 Dreamliners is not a options.

Horrible! Any number of Airbii greater than 0 is a nightmare scenario!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended

787 Dreamliners is not a options.
On the contrary, I believe Delta holds 50 options for the 787 in addition to the 20 on order.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Horrible! Any number of Airbii greater than 0 is a nightmare scenario!
Why do people feel the need to make comments like this?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k

About as likely as my scenario of ordering new 763s and 748s

Seriously, though, that's too many 744 replacements and no 763 replacements.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Why do people feel the need to make comments like this?
A question was asked, and I offered my answer. I said earlier that I don't like Airbus aircraft, and I've explained why. Given that, it's obvious that I wouldn't like any selection that would include Airbus aircraft. Not sure what your problem with the response is?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:39 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
I don't understand why he claims to be uninterested in "experimental" aircraft, but then brings up the Bombardier C-Series.

The Embraer 195 fits what he's after, and isn't experimental. I know LH flies them around Europe - are they too expensive to fly or something?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfw
I don't understand why he claims to be uninterested in "experimental" aircraft, but then brings up the Bombardier C-Series.

The Embraer 195 fits what he's after, and isn't experimental. I know LH flies them around Europe - are they too expensive to fly or something?
I would love to see Delta flying E-195's. The E-175 is the most comfortable aircraft DL operates (or rather operated for DL).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfw
They would be too expensive to fly because of the pilots' scope clause that means they'd have to be flown by mainline pilots. US tried operating E195's with mainline pilots and that lasted for only a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.