Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by rylan
Note there are reports currently of OLCI 'breaking' something with the upgrade cert so the proper priority code doesn't get passed along to the airport upgrade list, so you have to call to get it applied correctly.
Yep, just call Delta and was told that the system does not work. Something was blocking and it also would not let me get a boarding pass for my second flight. The rep said the easiest way is to check in first and then call Delta to use the RUC.

I had called earlier in the week and was listed as 26/26 at T -23h check in, The rep unchecked me in and rechecked and I moved up to 9/26 for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by sngorman
Yep, just call Delta and was told that the system does not work. Something was blocking and it also would not let me get a boarding pass for my second flight. The rep said the easiest way is to check in first and then call Delta to use the RUC.

I had called earlier in the week and was listed as 26/26 at T -23h check in, The rep unchecked me in and rechecked and I moved up to 9/26 for a complimentary upgrade.
What flight? Only #9 with a RUC, doesnt that imply that 8 other people (with higher status) also used a RUC? Seems like a lot!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
What flight? Only #9 with a RUC, doesnt that imply that 8 other people (with higher status) also used a RUC? Seems like a lot!
Yeah, from what I was told on the phone the priority will change at the airport. No idea why the upgrade list just can't show it that way now.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
How quickly does "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" typically show up in people's reservations online? I am new to the RUC game, requested to use my first earlier today. The flight in question still shows as "Medallion Upgrade Requested", and I'm wondering whether to give it some time or go ahead and call back sooner rather than later. Updates usually seem to happen pretty instantly for other things on delta.com.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Exclamation Proper coding, etc.

Two clarifying questions:

1) What's proper upgrade code for a PM and DM using an RUC?

2) Also, there seems to be some uncertainty around whether requesting a complimentary medallion upgrade actually keeps an RUC from being processed in the system. Should I tell the CSR to take me off the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade?

Thanks, fellow FTers!

PS: A sticky at the top of this thread that explains this process would be really, really helpful.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Two clarifying questions:

1) What's proper upgrade code for a PM and DM using an RUC?

2) Also, there seems to be some uncertainty around whether requesting a complimentary medallion upgrade actually keeps an RUC from being processed in the system. Should I tell the CSR to take me off the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade?

Thanks, fellow FTers!

PS: A sticky at the top of this thread that explains this process would be really, really helpful.
1. UP2A

2. There are times when a complimentary medallion upgrade will override an UP2A and code you as UP2X. Three things have to be aligned for an UP2A to be processed at the gate. (I don't the exact field names, but mentioning them to the phone agent should get them put into the right places.)

a. UP2A as your upgrade code
b. "Regional Upgrade" and the Certificate number in the notes field of your reservation
c. Removal of your Medallion request.

Most often, a phone agent will just do step A. This causes the website to show you as "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" but no change in the upgrade list.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by tphamBU
1. UP2A

2. There are times when a complimentary medallion upgrade will override an UP2A and code you as UP2X. Three things have to be aligned for an UP2A to be processed at the gate. (I don't the exact field names, but mentioning them to the phone agent should get them put into the right places.)

a. UP2A as your upgrade code
b. "Regional Upgrade" and the Certificate number in the notes field of your reservation
c. Removal of your Medallion request.

Most often, a phone agent will just do step A. This causes the website to show you as "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" but no change in the upgrade list.
Thanks for the help, tphamBU!

Just a quick update: I called the PM desk, and agent put in "Regional Upgrade" and Cert # in the notes field of my reservation. She also removed my medallion request. And now, my segment (online) shows "SWU requested." When I pressed her and asked her to make sure that my upgrade code was UP2A, she said that this code was only for stand-by. She mentioned how another pax had his ticket coded this way, and he was at the bottom of the UG list. CSR also told me that the coding is taken care of ONLY after checking in.

Two follow-up questions:

1) Was the CSR correct?
2) Should I HUACA and find an agent who's willing to change my UG code to UP2A?

Thanks all

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Oct 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I heard a new one a few weeks ago for an ATL-SEA flight. The DM line told that if you call to use the RUC after the upgrade list is built (24 hours before departure), your upgrade priority won't change on the list. Of course, this was total BS. When I got to the airport, I had the SkyKlub folks check to see if I was on the right upgrade priority. They fixed it and I shot from 11 to 1 instantly.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The UP2A is coding for the airport upgrade list and isn't visible/used in the system prior to check-in so you can't fully confirm everything is working correctly until you're checked in and T-24hr from the flight in question.

When on the waitlist for an upgrade with a cert prior to check -n, the system uses the priority standby PA1 code (unless thats changed recently) to wait for upgrade availability to open and clear.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Does anyone know what the cutoff time is to request an RUC? Many have mentioned the strategy of waiting to see where you fall on the upgrade list and then calling to apply an RUC if you're not going to clear otherwise. Can this be done right up until boarding starts (or, I suppose, until the gate agent starts clearing the upgrade list), or are phone agents no longer able to apply an RUC once the flight is under airport control?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by colerc
Does anyone know what the cutoff time is to request an RUC? Many have mentioned the strategy of waiting to see where you fall on the upgrade list and then calling to apply an RUC if you're not going to clear otherwise. Can this be done right up until boarding starts (or, I suppose, until the gate agent starts clearing the upgrade list), or are phone agents no longer able to apply an RUC once the flight is under airport control?
Don't know the cutoff time, but I applied my first RUC ever about an hour before departure, when the GA had not begun clearing the UGs yet. Called the line, asked if I would be #1 if applying a RUC, phone rep confirmed. Went to #1 for both segments that day, could see this instantly on my app, and as well on GIDS. GA confirmed as well.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
How long from selecting the RUCs online until they are in your account available for use? I'm guessing that you cannot be sitting at the gate 90 mins before a flight, decide you want to use a RUC, and call in to the PM line to have them both issue and apply an RUC all at once, correct?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
How long from selecting the RUCs online until they are in your account available for use? I'm guessing that you cannot be sitting at the gate 90 mins before a flight, decide you want to use a RUC, and call in to the PM line to have them both issue and apply an RUC all at once, correct?
Once selected, they showed up on my online account within a couple of hours. But when I wanted to actually apply one, the phone rep asked for the redemption code (which is NOT the certificate number). Those codes did not appear until about 24hours after I selected the RUC's as a choice option. In my case, I had sufficient time between selecting and getting on the plane. But a 90-minute window will not be.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once selected, they showed up on my online account within a couple of hours. But when I wanted to actually apply one, the phone rep asked for the redemption code (which is NOT the certificate number). Those codes did not appear until about 24hours after I selected the RUC's as a choice option. In my case, I had sufficient time between selecting and getting on the plane. But a 90-minute window will not be.
I had a similar issue with some old SWUs once, where I requested them, they appeared in my account within a few hours, and I tried to use them that evening, maybe four or five hours after the request. It somehow worked, IIRC with me reading the cert numbers to an agent who could not see them in my account, but I was able to use them that night.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Ahh, ok thanks. Looks more and more like I'll just use them for a RT UG for Mrs. Lee and me and hopefully I can confirm it at booking when there's less of a time crunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.