Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I have not used a RUC yet. But for the GUC, for the segment where I am wait listed, I can see in my itinerary online "systemwide upgrade request". This makes me feel confident that that the upgrade request is coded properly. Is there something similar for the RUC?
I (successfully) used an RUC yesterday - with success being defined as just one phone call the night before to request to use the RUC instrument, and the upgrade actually clearing at the gate - with 61 folks on the upgrade list and the RUC moving me from #20 to #1 with 1 seat available.

Prior to the upgrade clearing, "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" was displayed in my reservation, so they currently use the same terminology for all three upgrade instruments (SWUs, GUCs and RUCs).
Old May 10, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Don't waste a cert

Originally Posted by Yucca
One option is to put the RUC only on the leg of the flight you're concerned about. I'm on a redeye SMF-ATL, and then connecting to ATL-MSN. Plenty of FC on the connecting flight, but the first leg is getting filled, and that's where I really care about sitting up front. So they put me on the waitlist with the RUC for that leg and left the regular medallion request on the second leg. At least the DM desk said so. Fingers crossed.
This has worked for me, for instance PIT X/DTW [west coast] and return.

Especially urgent to do it this way if the short hop may get downgauged to a Barbie Jet with no FC. Your certificate has been closed but now you don't have an upgrade.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by timmy83
Okay, so my question is regarding the coding of RUCs for companions. If I want to use a RUC for my companion but not me (betting that I'll receive a complimentary upgrade), is this even possible?

My understanding is that splitting PNRs probably won't work due to some of the wording regarding the use of these certs, but if my companion is listed for a GUC upgrade, does my priority move back up to the PM window priority?
does any one have insight on this? in the same boat here...
Old May 13, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
"Upgrade not available at this time"

Ok, I called in to get waitlisted for the upgrade using an RUC (for tonight), and now on my reservation it says "Upgrade not available at this time" on each of the original two segments (there is also the two segments showing "waitlisted" for first class).

The PM line agent at one point put me on hold saying she had to 'look up how to enter the certificate' and this is my first ever use of such a certificate, so can anyone tell me if this is sounding correct?
Old May 13, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never seen nor heard of an 'Upgrade not available at this time' status. It either says 'Not upgrade eligible', 'Medallion upgrade requested', or 'Systemwide upgrade requested'. That must be a new thing?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Well after using one on a LAX-ATL-MCI route last week (about 8 hours in advance), I never placed on the upgrade list. My profile listed me as "waitlisted" for a seat in first, and DLAssist said "everything looks great on our side". At the gate, I still did not appear on the upgrade list, and on the kiosk checkin was asked if I wanted to add myself to the upgrade list. (Well, yeah!)

At the gate at both LAX and ATL, was told I was not on the upgrade list. As mentioned above, "Upgrade not available at this time" was showing on my reservation and I could not open the upgrade list on app or web.

(Redeye flight) I told the GA at LAX that I had used a cert, and she specifically told me that she saw I was waitlisted for first, but that it wouldn't be processed because there were more medallion upgrades than seats. I called the Plat line and was again told it was correct on their end. I went back to the GA and asked her to verify I was on the upgrade list somewhere. She click-click-clicked and told me that she added me and viola, I appeared on the list @ # 4 with 10 seats available. Then I was #4 with 7 seats available, then #4 with 4 seats available. My upgrade did clear.

In ATL, I asked again about the upgrade list, and mentioned the certificate and was told a very similar thing: that I was waitlisted for a certificate but that regionals clear after medallions, and that because I was not a medallion I would likely not be upgraded. I politely told her that I was PM, and she told me that for some reason the reservation did not have an upgrade requested. (I believe this was the first time she actually looked, as she previously didn't realize I was Plat as she was describing that an elite flyer is Gold, Plat, or Diamond... and I don't say this as a DYKWIA, rather because how it happened made it apparent that she hadn't looked.) Anyway, I told her that I had used a certificate for the upgrade and she told me I was waitlisted, and that it was odd because with 4 seats available, I should clear no problem as there was only one DM and one other PM on the list. She then told me that 'the system isn't letting me clear you or add you to the list' but crossed out the Exit row seat on my boarding pass and hand-wrote 1C. When I boarded, the seat change slip did print with 1C, so clearly she was able to make it happen in the system.

Now I'm a week later and both flights show as RP, and one certificate was used for the one-way. However, had I not intervened at both departure gates, it is very clear to me that I would not have cleared the upgrade at either. (and I only truly would have used the cert for the LAX-ATL segment anyway, so had it not cleared that segment I would not have wanted to use it)

I have no idea how it's supposed to look on your reservation when a certificate is applied. however, I do have an idea how it looks when it's incorrectly applied. And while I certainly did sit in first class on both segments, I cannot sit here and tell you that it's because the certificate was used (despite that it was charged against the reservation).

Clearly there is quite a learning curve that needs to happen.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mnbp
I (successfully) used an RUC yesterday - with success being defined as just one phone call the night before to request to use the RUC instrument, and the upgrade actually clearing at the gate - with 61 folks on the upgrade list and the RUC moving me from #20 to #1 with 1 seat available.

Prior to the upgrade clearing, "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" was displayed in my reservation, so they currently use the same terminology for all three upgrade instruments (SWUs, GUCs and RUCs).
Just wondering - has everyone who has been able to see the "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" has a pretty good experience with using RUCs? I applied one of mine to a flight tomorrow and see this message as well so I'm hoping I don't have to go through what others have had to.

Last time I tried before this I somehow got taken off the regular Medallion upgrade list...
Old May 26, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
Just wondering - has everyone who has been able to see the "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" has a pretty good experience with using RUCs? I applied one of mine to a flight tomorrow and see this message as well so I'm hoping I don't have to go through what others have had to.

Last time I tried before this I somehow got taken off the regular Medallion upgrade list...
For the record if anyone is wondering I was on the upgrade list in my normal PM position until I called DL. The very helpful rep told me there was a known glitch if you check in online that ignores the RUC and was able to fix it in 2-3 minutes - now I am 1 on my upgrade list and hopefully availability remains open for my flight.

So definitely call if you don't see yourself move up.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Nada!
Strategy

So it looks like the best strategy for a RUC may be to wait and see if the medallion complimentary upgrade clears in the normal window, and if it doesn't, assuming there are seats left in FC, ask to apply a RUC and you should hit the top of the list unless there is someone with a higher status doing the same thing. I'm looking at a SEA-ATL flight in a couple of weeks to try this on.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
...ask to apply a RUC and you should hit the top of the list unless there is someone with a higher status doing the same thing.
Assuming you get an agent to actually code it properly....
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I made Plat not too long ago and haven't taken the choice benefit yet, but will likely select the RUCs.

Anyone had any luck SDCing an itinerary upgraded with a RUC like SEA-ATL-BOS to SEA-JFK-BOS? Or even a LAX-ATL-JFK to the nonstop BE product?

What types of routes are you using these on? A Friday night DTW-LAX? I've always had good success with UGs as a GM and am now batting 100% thus far as PM on flights MWF.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be surprised if you could SDC using a regional onto one of the premium tcon flights and keep the upgrade, since those require global certs.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:58 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
Ok, I called in to get waitlisted for the upgrade using an RUC (for tonight), and now on my reservation it says "Upgrade not available at this time" on each of the original two segments (there is also the two segments showing "waitlisted" for first class).

The PM line agent at one point put me on hold saying she had to 'look up how to enter the certificate' and this is my first ever use of such a certificate, so can anyone tell me if this is sounding correct?
I got an "Upgrade not available at this time" message on a reservation recently which after a call to Delta I learned was the equivalent of the old "Upgrade eligible" (i.e. upgrade *not* requested) message. In particular it seems that if you book a reservation for 2 people, even if both have their SM#s included, the old behavior of automatically requesting an upgrade for both may no longer hold, you have to call in and ask them to request the regular Medallion upgrade. Presumably too late for the flight where this happened to you, but I would definitely call again if you see that message on DL.com.

I recently applied my RUCs for myself and a companion on this same reservation for a trip in a few months, on a route (JFK-LAS) where I would have no trouble getting upgraded by myself as a PM but hoping to get myself and companion both upgraded. Reservation says "Systemwide Upgrade Requested" so hopefully everything has been entered correctly.

Any idea whether the RUCs come out of the same upgrade availability as the complimentary upgrades? I'm wondering if it's possible (as one of many things that could go wrong with RUCs) for someone else's normal medallion upgrade (within the regular upgrade windows) to cut ahead of my RUCs, if they are based on different availability buckets, similar to this problem. We will see what happens.

Last edited by bgriff; Jun 13, 2014 at 8:07 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade certs come out of a different inventory bucket than medallion upgrades. Thats why its important to have the request in for both types. I've cleared at the medallion upgrade window a few times while on the waitlist for the cert, so the cert didn't matter.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rylan
Upgrade certs come out of a different inventory bucket than medallion upgrades. Thats why its important to have the request in for both types. I've cleared at the medallion upgrade window a few times while on the waitlist for the cert, so the cert didn't matter.
Interesting, I figured as much. Concern in this case is that the reservation is for me and a non-status companion, so for medallion upgrades we would both be clearing at the companion priority level, i.e. probably not clearing at all. So, other elites traveling alone could in theory clear ahead of us in the couple of days before the flight, and there would be nothing that I could do about it.

Oddly, this is one case where FCM actually works in my favor, since based on recent history, even if there are open FC seats in the days before the flight, quite likely the other elites' medallion upgrades would not process at their elite windows due to lack of medallion upgrade inventory and would be held until the gate anyway. And once checked in, by talking to the PM line, I can make sure my companion and I are correctly high up on the gate priority list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.