Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by colerc
Does anyone know what the cutoff time is to request an RUC? Many have mentioned the strategy of waiting to see where you fall on the upgrade list and then calling to apply an RUC if you're not going to clear otherwise. Can this be done right up until boarding starts (or, I suppose, until the gate agent starts clearing the upgrade list), or are phone agents no longer able to apply an RUC once the flight is under airport control?
From the delta website: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

If an upgrade for the SkyMiles member and companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist at least three hours prior to departure, then the SkyMiles member and companion may request to be placed on the Airport Standby List, provided that request is made no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:14 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Ah, thanks, did not see that it was specified there. Good to know.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
You can trying but it is hit or miss. I tried at 45mins before boarding and it required a manual process by the CSR and I was on the phone with them right up to boarding time and the UG list already processed and they could not get it to work.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Anyone have experience with removing an RUC that is already confirmed but not re-ticketed? Being a little greedy as I'm now in the window and there are medallion upgrades available
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If its not reticketed you should be able to have it removed, although you might get an agent who won't or will scold you.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by rylan
If its not reticketed you should be able to have it removed, although you might get an agent who won't or will scold you.
No issues whatsoever today when I called to do this.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I have a MR coming up MCI-ATL-DEN-DTW-MCI. On my profile, it breaks it out as MCI-ATL-DEN-DTW and DTW-MCi. (This is all on one day, max layover is under two hours.)

Anyone know if a RUC would apply as it shows up? (It would be worth it to me to burn a cert if the one-way is really considered those first three segments... But likely not otherwise.)

I can call in, but would like to know what I need to know first... (Thanks!)
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
While my reply doesn't address the RUC specifically, it does address the routing /ticketing question.

I just had a same day MSY-LAX-SMF-SLC-MSY that showed on my screens and apps as MSY-LAX-SMF-SLC and SLC-MSY. The actual issued ticket was MSY-LAX-SMF and SMF-SLC-MSY.

I had spoken to the Platinum desk a week before the flight regarding a potential to SDC and eliminate SMF and was told that I couldn't because of the way the ticket was split with SMF as a destination. I called at T-24 and was able to SDC to MSY-LAX-SLC, eliminating SMF.

Therefore, you should be able to get the RUC applied to the multi-stop but it'll be very difficult to get all of the segments at once. If you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask for a supervisor or HUCA. Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
While my reply doesn't address the RUC specifically, it does address the routing /ticketing question.

I just had a same day MSY-LAX-SMF-SLC-MSY that showed on my screens and apps as MSY-LAX-SMF-SLC and SLC-MSY. The actual issued ticket was MSY-LAX-SMF and SMF-SLC-MSY.

I had spoken to the Platinum desk a week before the flight regarding a potential to SDC and eliminate SMF and was told that I couldn't because of the way the ticket was split with SMF as a destination. I called at T-24 and was able to SDC to MSY-LAX-SLC, eliminating SMF.

Therefore, you should be able to get the RUC applied to the multi-stop but it'll be very difficult to get all of the segments at once. If you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask for a supervisor or HUCA. Good luck.

Thanks, how do I determine how it was ticketed?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
Thanks, how do I determine how it was ticketed?
Click on Receipts, and view the fare construction under "Billing and Ticketing Information, Fare Details".
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Does anyone know where to find your available RGUs on delta.com?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lancer99
Does anyone know where to find your available RGUs on delta.com?
Once you have selected the RUC's as your Choice Benefit, and 24 hours have passed, they should appear in "My Wallet".
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
First time using RUC's. Called plat line, agent waitlisted 4 upgrades.
Online account shows original seat assignment with "medallion upgrade requested", and also a stand-by reservation for first (RP) with a notation "assign at gate".
Is that correct? Or should she have removed the medallion upgrade request? Flight is a week from now.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'm going to post in this thread instead of starting another. I'm PM and my wife has no status. We are flying r/t MCO-ORD in December. What is the best method for getting an upgrade for both of us r/t? Using two RU? Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Scott H
I'm going to post in this thread instead of starting another. I'm PM and my wife has no status. We are flying r/t MCO-ORD in December. What is the best method for getting an upgrade for both of us r/t? Using two RU? Thanks for the help.
Yes. Note that you will have to use 4 RUCs to get an upgrade for both of you roundtrip, not 2 (one per passenger each way). The RUCs do not guarantee you will get upgraded but it will give you a chance of getting upgraded in advance of the flight, and if you don't, you'll be on the top of the upgrade list at the gate. (If you don't show up at the top of the upgrade list on the day of departure, call Delta a few hours before the flight to make sure your upgrades were coded correctly.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.