Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
So far in 2014 I earned 21565 MQM's with $6574 MQD spend.
Under the new system I would have earned 59166.

I fly last minute Y out of MSP so my MQD's will always be high. I guess I will be doing ok under the new rules.
Naturally I like where this is going and I have said it before, I am more valuable to DL than a DM who can plan out many months of travel plans taking advantage of cheap fares.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

Another point to consider

This will benefit Delta in a second way that many people are probably not thinking about.

Let's use Tampa- JFK as an example- $250 Roundtrip fare

I, and many of you, have found times where the non-stops and the connection fares are the same. We intentionally book the connections, book the most out of the way hub (more miles, more miles). Ultimately, this cost Delta lots of $$. The fuel to travel the extra distance, the fuel for two take offs, that second .42 ounce bag of peanuts, double baggage handling if you checked a bag (it was free-silver medallion) etc.

Under this new model, I have no incentive to take anything but the most direct route (I'll save time, less chance of delay) Delta's cost of flying me drops dramatically... Yes, some will still do this for Medallion reasons, but I'm Silver because of Million Miler status, and I basically earn Silver anyway, so won't affect me that way.

Under the new model, I'll come out a little behind as I fly Delta primarily for leisure (less expensive) travel.

However, my business travel is primarily on USAirways. I'd love for them to adopt this, as my primary trip I make several times a month currently nets me 1250 miles roundtrip at a fare of $650. Given that I'm silver, that would be 4550 per trip.... New American.... please follow Delta's lead...

As always, some winners, some losers....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jdb5078
This will benefit Delta in a second way that many people are probably not thinking about.

I, and many of you, have found times where the non-stops and the connection fares are the same. We intentionally book the connections, book the most out of the way hub (more miles, more miles). Ultimately, this cost Delta lots of $$. The fuel to travel the extra distance, the fuel for two take offs, that second .42 ounce bag of peanuts, double baggage handling if you checked a bag (it was free-silver medallion) etc.

Under this new model, I have no incentive to take anything but the most direct route (I'll save time, less chance of delay) Delta's cost of flying me drops dramatically... Yes, some will still do this for Medallion reasons, but I'm Silver because of Million Miler status, and I basically earn Silver anyway, so won't affect me that way.

Under the new model, I'll come out a little behind as I fly Delta primarily for leisure (less expensive) travel.

However, my business travel is primarily on USAirways. I'd love for them to adopt this, as my primary trip I make several times a month currently nets me 1250 miles roundtrip at a fare of $650. Given that I'm silver, that would be 4550 per trip.... New American.... please follow Delta's lead...

Great example...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum

Actually the MQD addition already solved this problem for DL...unless you were paying more to fly more out of the way...also...the cost of a 2nd bag of peanuts made your list?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL
Question 140,000 miles TPAC Coach Award Seat $12,727 ?

Am I calculating this correctly?

If the TPAC Econ. award seat is 140,000 miles. As a Diamond I need to spend $12,727 (11 miles per $1 spent) to earn 140,000 SM.

For $12,727 I could buy 2 round trips in WBC.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
How am I affected? Not much at all. I will continue to do what I've always done, which is to purchase the best ticket (based on schedule, product, and price) for any individual trip. Until the redemption chart comes out and there is some idea of what that translates to in practical redemption terms, I'm not impacted. This is 2015's problem, not 2014's problem and I will wait until 2015 to worry about it, if I even do.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bond1600
Am I calculating this correctly?

If the TPAC Econ. award seat is 140,000 miles. As a Diamond I need to spend $12,727 (11 miles per $1 spent) to earn 140,000 SM.

For $12,727 I could buy 2 round trips in WBC.
Correct. And you can do that in 2 trips in BE (fares max out at 75K miles) Does't matter if it's SFO to PVG or SFO to SLC (with a very expensive fare )
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Impossible to say until we see the redemption side of the equation.

If saver awards with redemption amounts similar to AA and UA are the norm, the changes are not too bad when compared to the current Skypesos program.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum | Bonvoy Gold | Hilton Gold
My wife and I usually travel when fares are cheap, 2-4 domestic cross-country flights/yr, 1-3 international flights/yr, at costs of $0.05-.07/mi flown domestic, $0.06-.10/mi international. Under the 2015 rules, we would earn 40-60% fewer award miles. Even as Gold Medallion, would have to fly 8-12 round trips to earn one round trip; a far cry from the 3 round trips it used to take 12 years ago.

I guess it's hard to argue that "spend more, get more" is unfair, just completely different. Very brave of Delta to turn frequent flyer programs upside down. It used to bother me that Delta used to value corporate flyers over leisure travelers like us (125K miles a year? Come on!); now they're valuing the few high fare class flyers over the many low fare class flyers, so I'll have to start shopping for a new airline and mileage card.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by scott s
Don't you earn a 100% mileage bonus on 50K MQMs as a platinum so you are losing RDM

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the MQM bonus on F & J tickets when posting
Nope. Many of my MQMs are from the F&J fare bonus. My actual miles (BISQMs, if you will) are much lower. So I am net gaining RDMs (63K vs. 96K).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:15 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold

(...)
Under this new model, I have no incentive to take anything but the most direct route (I'll save time, less chance of delay) Delta's cost of flying me drops dramatically...
I have a perfect example of this from last November.

I flew BOS-DCA RT on Delta. Since they no longer have nonstops in the market, I wound up flying BOS-DTW(!!)-DCA/DCA-JFK-BOS.

RDMs with GM 100% bonus: 4264.
MQDs: $110. (Competition with B6.)
RDMs under the new scheme: 880, about 20% of the old earn rate.

DL's cost of flying me goes down 100%, because at that point I just say "screw it" and fly nonstop on B6 instead.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Simple, giving up my Silver Status and not even trying to fly Delta this year now. Burn up my remaining Sky Pesos!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
I'm not sure everyone is calculating correctly? I believe the skypeso per dollar is on the total ticket price, not the MQD price, right?

Assuming this method is correct, my last six months of travel (domestic, connecting LAX-MSP/SLC usually) $6298 in spend has earned 110791 skypesos. Under the 2015 system, that 11mi per dollar as a DM would net me to 69286, or a loss of 37.5%. Only 3 out of my last 14 flights would I wind up ahead, and those are the short hop flights like LAX-LAS/SFO/SJC. If it's calcuated with the MQD price, it's even worse than that. The only way I can see DL not completely screwing everyone here is by actually having a working award calendar where we can book successfully at saver rates or whatever they'll call it next year...and I'm not holding my breath since it sounds like they're going to 5 tiers.

I *always* have to connect since I'm not in a hub. I would sacrifice the extra few hours at home to be loyal to DL and the extra miles on the connection flights gave some slight incentive. Guess that's gone now. Direct flights sound a lot more appealing now.

Last edited by allanak; Feb 27, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by allanak
I'm not sure everyone is calculating correctly? I believe the skypeso per dollar is on the total ticket price, not the MQD price, right?
What gives you this impression? Here's what the e-mail from DL says: "Ticket price eligible for mileage accrual includes base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, but excludes government-imposed taxes and fees."

That's basically a multiple on MQD.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
So how will they handle currency exchange? Obviously many of their customers are not only purchasing tickets in USD. Do they use a reliable rate updated hourly like Starbucks does when using Starbucks cards overseas? Non US based customers were opted out of the MQD rules, but surely we won't be opted out of such a drastic redesign of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.