Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jasonkr
Hopefully not,
I believe they are gonna take advantage of this Delta 2015 change ^

If not then American might. It's simple math really and all comes down to price. If United can fill planes with a more friendly FFP, then maybe the increased fares and higher load rate will mean they can afford to give more miles back?

It also depends on what the economy does. I think things are looking very bubbly as of late but these things can go on much longer than they should. If that were to happen then it changes the dynamics especially if it causes a loss in demand for fuel, passenger which means fuel prices go down and ticket prices follow.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I find it extremely hard to believe that marginal changes in airline passenger loads could possibly have a measurable effect on jet-fuel prices, which are closely tied to the price of crude oil. Airline usage of crude oil is certainly negligible compared to the total market.

Bruce
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by timstravel
It won't affect me at all, I've actively gone out of my way not to fly DL since the last round of "improvements" to their disloyalty program.
I feel the same way.
I was also shocked to find out I cannot spend my Skypesos to buy merchandise after I dropped fro Plat to a basic member.

Burn em if you get em
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by dll
I'm reading the tea leaves but am assuming UA and AA will both be transitioning to this system (eventually, later if not sooner). What it means for me is I'll just drop loyalty altogether and focus earning on hotel programs (where it's already $$$ based anyway), and buy tickets based on price. I've got some international trips this year and already have spread out among multiple alliances (r/t to Europe on Virgin, to Australia on Hawaiian and to EZE on AA). Not worth the effort unless you are really a high value business traveler.
You should really look into the Alaska Milage Plan program... they give 100% EQM for flying on DL, AA, AF, BA, and a bunch of others and have elite benefits on DL and AA... and they're status matching
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by ellis01
But Richard has your back!! He says so in the video!
(Ok, he has your back ... with a knife in it.)
And I bet all those super happy workers that he pats on the back and smiles at in the video aren't really so happy either!!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I find it extremely hard to believe that marginal changes in airline passenger loads could possibly have a measurable effect on jet-fuel prices, which are closely tied to the price of crude oil. Airline usage of crude oil is certainly negligible compared to the total market.

Bruce
Im talking about economic downturns as a whole. See impact on fuel demand in 2008. It was a pretty steep drop and oil went from $147 a barrel to $32.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I don't think you're calculating the Amex 2 more miles per dollar correctly. You're currently getting that today, it just comes as a Amex $ spend bonus, it doesn't show in your Flight activity on your Skymiles page.

So you don't get 9 miles per dollar as a PM and then 11 miles per dollar if you're a PM with a Delta Amex.

The 2 miles per dollar comes on your Amex statement where you spent $5,000 in a month and you get $1,000 of it was on Delta flights you get 1 mile per dollar for the $4,000 non Delta spend and 2 miles per dollar on the $1,000 Delta.
ahh so going with the general 9 miles per $1 spent for simplicity, ill be earning even less.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond
changing award miles

So is it correct to use the MQDs showing now as what will be used to determine award miles earned for a flight? If so, a flight I just took as a diamond, the "new" calculation using either plat or diamond multiplier yields less miles than the current calculation. If so, this is lowering the bar not raising it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by durango67
So is it correct to use the MQDs showing now as what will be used to determine award miles earned for a flight? If so, a flight I just took as a diamond, the "new" calculation using either plat or diamond multiplier yields less miles than the current calculation. If so, this is lowering the bar not raising it.
I've been using the same calculation (MQD x Plat multiplier) and I'm finding that I'll even earn fewer RDMs in 2015 on some flights where I buy a GAP fare.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
That is not a correct assumption. RDM calculation is based on a ticket price

†Ticket price used to calculate miles earned includes base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, and excludes government-imposed taxes and fees. Tickets purchased in a foreign currency will be converted to USD at time of ticketing based on the IATA 5-day rate.

MQD is only on fare price.
There is another little problem with the calculator. It is only good for non-stop flights. As it say " *Calculations are accurate for nonstop, round-trip flights only. "
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
Unhappy Trying to Maintain a Sense of Humor

Disclaimer: Not a hub captive or business flyer. Pay myself for all travel. Flew 99 Delta flights in 2012, 66 in 2013 and 17 so far in 2014. MQDs have probably already killed it for me although a few days ago I booked a transcon via ATL and went for the A fare. First time ever, when I clicked purchase, delta.com said the fare had decreased by $50!

My thoughts:

Thank you, Delta, for curing my obsession
Used to be mileage running (I am confessing)
Chasing status with multiple connections
All for that alluring Diamond reflection

Now Delta says that’s not right
Got to pay more for it outright
Just like in Vegas, high rollers gonna rule
And get first dibs at Sky Club gruel

Lots of spend, lots of earn
More miles to try and burn
You’re going to sit at the head of the table
As long as you spend all that you’re able

The award calendar will sort of be fixed
You might even get a one-way tix
It’s a for-profit business; he’s got our back
So no more free-loading gamers or T fare riff-raff

WFBF, that’s where it’s going
Mull it over on your next no-IFE Boeing
We’re a high-class airline with bedding, pillows, lie-flat seats
So no more complaining, we’re the one to beat

If you buy lower than Q(?), you’ll sit in the back
Well maybe an upgrade will slip through the crack
Better buy refundable Y, maybe A or P, or best of all, J, C or D
No more sitting up front almost for free

So another big thank-you, Orville, Wilbur and Amelia
Delta don’t care how these enhancements make you feel-a
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I screwed up royally. As an FO, I decided to roll over 20K+ MQMs in order to get GM in 2015 when MQDs thin the herd. Now GM gets the worst of the new program. It would have been nice to get the 100% RDM bonus this year.

I am glad I have gone AA/BA recently about 50% of the time.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond
2015 impact

Wondering whether a change to AA will be in my best interest.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:57 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
An interesting thought today about my travel and how this affects it. One of the routes I fly often is MSP-DEN which has lots of competition with WN and F9 both flying this route direct. It keeps prices way down, it can easily be had for under $200 during ski season. It's about a 690 mile trip so I pick up almost 2800 RDMs as a Gold currently. Next year that trip might only get me 1000 miles. That's a pretty significant decrease.

I've been loyal to DL and always flown them, but they don't have the best schedule for the flight home so now I'm not going to be as worried about flying DL and if I can save a little money and get a better schedule I won't hesitate.

I would imagine there's some other routes like this that have big competition from the LCCs that keep fares down where elite travelers are going to take big hits on RDMs. I wonder how those flyers will respond since there's clearly other options for them.

I know people will say DL is probably not making any money on me if I'm only paying $150 for that flight, and these changes are aimed to fix that. But they're still flying the plane from MSP-DEN and the marginal revenue they get from me is better than flying the plane with those seats empty.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAMOHT
†Ticket price used to calculate miles earned includes base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, and excludes government-imposed taxes and fees. Tickets purchased in a foreign currency will be converted to USD at time of ticketing based on the IATA 5-day rate.

MQD is only on fare price.
MQDs also include carrier-imposed charges (fuel surcharges).
...you’ll receive MQDs for the ticket’s base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, but not for taxes or fees.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...n-dollars.html

Difference is MQDs are earned on preferred/EC seat purchase as well. Doesn't sound like new RDMs are accrued that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.